Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Inflight - Sparkling Water vs Club Soda

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer

My cursory search revealed a lot about procecco, but not San Pellengrino.

What's up with AA and the lack of seltzer water on oboard? Did US have it? UA and DL do, but IME AA only (incorrectly) offer high-sodium soda water inflight.

My routine is now to self-cater from the AC, but why?

Is this a Dougie thing?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:35 pm
tsz

I've always been proactively offered sparking water + lemons in international F but have never asked for them in domestic F...
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Sabai
What's up with AA and the lack of seltzer water on oboard? Did US have it? UA and DL do, but IME AA only (incorrectly) offer high-sodium soda water inflight.
What's "incorrect" about offering soda water? That's typically my drink of choice.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by rjw242
What's "incorrect" about offering soda water? That's typically my drink of choice.
Not incorrect, but huge difference: Seltzer and club soda have both been artificially produced by passing pressurized carbon dioxide through water, but while seltzer contains no added ingredients or flavorings, club soda contains additives such as table salt, sodium bicarbonate, or potassium bicarbonate to add a slightly salty flavor.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by 1KHI
Not incorrect, but huge difference: Seltzer and club soda have both been artificially produced by passing pressurized carbon dioxide through water, but while seltzer contains no added ingredients or flavorings, club soda contains additives such as table salt, sodium bicarbonate, or potassium bicarbonate to add a slightly salty flavor.
I'm aware they're not the same thing, just thought it was odd to characterize one as "incorrect." Similarly, I never drink sweetened soft drinks but have no opinion about the correctness of AA carrying them onboard.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by rjw242
I'm aware they're not the same thing, just thought it was odd to characterize one as "incorrect." Similarly, I never drink sweetened soft drinks but have no opinion about the correctness of AA carrying them onboard.
I believe Sabai was characterizing the FAs offering club soda when seltzer was requested as incorrect, not the decision by AA to carry club soda.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I miss sparkling water too, and agree Club Soda feels quite different, but for that matter, I would very much prefer a naturally sparkling water (Badoit, Gerolsteiner, Apollinaris, etc) rather than carbonated ones such as Perrier.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
I believe Sabai was characterizing the FAs offering club soda when seltzer was requested as incorrect, not the decision by AA to carry club soda.
Thank you.

It's cheap enough to cater and there are several domestic producers. If AA can provide it in their clubs, why not onboard?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Thank you.

It's cheap enough to cater and there are several domestic producers. If AA can provide it in their clubs, why not onboard?
In-flight catering and catering in the clubs cannot be compared. Its not as simple as you make it out to be.

Adding one particular type of beverage to an in-flight menu would involve removing another type of beverage or reducing the amount carried of another beverage. You can't just add in another item to the menu.

Where as in the club, they have more space for storage, soda gun systems, etc. that aircraft don't have.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

If UA, DL, and B6 can provide it, perhaps AA could surmount these logistical impossibilities.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
If UA, DL, and B6 can provide it, perhaps AA could surmount these logistical impossibilities.
Then fly those carriers. If there was a major demand for it on AA flights, they'd make the necessary inventory adjustments and would carry it.

Shouldn't this thread maybe me moved to least substantive complaint thread?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:37 pm

You're being sarcastic, but you realize it's actually impossible for an airline to carry every possible beverage that every one of its customers might ever want, right?
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Some AA flights offer the Adirondack sparkling water that is sodium-free. Occasionally you get a can of sodium-free club soda. But most of the time it is the sodium-laced club soda. The ex-international flights, especially ex-EU, tend to have "real" sparkling water.

Once, I requested the Adirondack sparking water and was told "we're out of it," but then I saw an FA sneak two sealed bottles of it into her carry-on. Obviously they know it's the "good stuff."
Old Oct 20, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; AA EXP / 2MM Lifetime Platnum; Hyatt Diamond
we can start a discussion on the bottled sparkling/still water we get on AA flights similar to the following link to the one at the CX forum!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ided-cx-4.html
Old Oct 21, 2016, 7:44 am

Weird how you only get club soda on the plane, but can get plain soda in the club.
captaink likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.