FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Executive Platinum: Revenue Contribution to AA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1796723-aa-executive-platinum-revenue-contribution-aa.html)

prw555 Oct 17, 2016 8:58 pm

Stats?

380k EQM - $58k. 2015 was 267k EQM and $63k of which ~$18k was to CX on non 001 stock. Next year all my biz going to CX as a result of horrible LAX/DFW track record to HKG and return, of which constitutes 95% of my business. AA just don't have the ability to deal with their 77w fleet with two flights a day from US, of which timing of both leave very limited/no ability to reroute if adamant on flat bed - eg. DFW - NRT (angled gurney) If goes MX you are hosed and at least loose a big chunk of time or even more than a day.

10/13 - 125 cancelled
10/14 - 192 cancelled
10/15 - 193 over an hour late
10/16 - 125 over 3 hours late
10/17 - 192 almost 3 hours late

And that's just the past few days......

Rojo Oct 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by AA100k (Post 27353320)
I spent $12,726 last year, all on international J. Due to the more favorable pricing for J fares this year, probably will come in at $10k or a little more. Hard to imagine your pricing and routes to make EXP on such low spend. I'd be interested in the details. Sure wish AA would let us know about the credit card spend waiver status, one way or the other.

I'll put together a spreadsheet with flights and revenue. For 2015 it was mostly domestic travel. For 2016 I added some Asia trips to take advantage of the SWU's, but mostly domestic.

Originally Posted by muishkin (Post 27354324)
I can speak for the OP but I have found the following to be nice perks on top of flying J internationally:

Better lounges (OW First vs OW Business).

Same day flight changes.

Expanded award seat availability.

The EXP desk in case of IRROPs.

Anyhow if you are traveling on paid international J regularly, chances are, you are going to make EXP anyways especially under the new EQM system.

Agree. I went to HKG where I spent 5 hours in CX's First Class lounge (The Pier) and to NRT where I spent 9 hours in JL's Sakura Lounge (due to a 8 hour delay). The Pier is, by far, my favorite lounge.

Complimentary same day flight changes and standby gave me the opportunity to buy the cheapest fare (usually on the last flight) and make my way to a better flight during the day. Sometimes I lost my confirmed upgrades (X) but I was able to get the extra EQM's, others, I got F.

About the EP Desk, agents were super helpful, but since I had multiple IRROPS, in several occasions they weren't able to get me out of places. On the way to NRT, we were diverted to NGO and crew went illegal. They left us on our own in NGO and we had to make our way to TYO.

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 27358574)
You have been fortunate in your location and opportunities, and we can certainly admire your skill. I would suggest you keep flying as you have been. If you are very close to some threshold, you can consider a MR, but don't worry about it otherwise. You can also become a "free agent" and look at carriers other than AA. With judicious use of credit cards and paid lounges, you can still be fine. Good luck.

I started giving some cheap business to UA, since they keep matching ULCC's on connecting itineraries and there are ways to bypass PQD requirements. For now, I will continue enjoying the benefits of being an EP. I will reassess next year.

josmul123 Oct 17, 2016 11:41 pm

Going to hit EXP for the first time on November 17 with 100,637 EQM (How's that for cutting it close?!)

$9,727.12 all-in (including taxes and fees. I didn't keep track of the base fares this year). All but $297 out of my own pocket.

Doubt I'm going to chase it for 2018, but if they offer a credit card waiver on the Exec card, I'll probably go for it. Otherwise, I'm going to have to think about not only switching airlines, but also re-jigger my credit cards.

tonytifao Oct 18, 2016 7:36 am

I would usually spend about 10k to get my EXP. This year I think I have about 15k EQM and will lose my EXP which I retained for for 14 years.

Luckly, I'm at a stage of my life where I don't have to chase EXP anymore. I can just buy a J or F class if I want to. I'm also Plat for Life, which is nice to have :)

PlatinumScum Oct 18, 2016 7:50 am

I always assumed I was on the lower end of EXP revenue, since the vast majority of my flying is done under a lowest fare policy (although I do occasionally buy up on my own dime). Maybe not so much (hub captive FTW!).

I'm currently projecting the following totals for 2016:

• 138,538 EQM (148,538 with credit card)
  • 67 EQS
  • $16,363 AA fares
  • $4,551 partner fares ($5,028 distance-based EQD)
  • $21,391 total EQD

(The partner fares in question were discount premium economy tickets on BA and CX. It's interesting to see that these fares are not disastrous from an EQD perspective.)

I have an AA-ticketed trip coming up with BA- and IB-marketed flights, so these numbers will probably change slightly. It will be interesting to see how AA allocates the fare between the AA- and non-AA-marketed flights.

anaggie Oct 18, 2016 8:07 am

103k EQM's / 24 segments

2 Flights to Brazil in J
1 RTW in J
1 domestic F
1 J to Mexico
10k from CC spend
Approx $20-25k in spend total

Still have 5 SWU from last year and don't know when I will burn them since I am done flying for the year.

DrinkRaiderade Oct 18, 2016 8:35 am

I'm at 178k EQM's at the Moment on 53 segments.

How are you guys counting your revenue for partner flights? My total oneworld revenue is about $65k

Admittedly, most of my earning has been with QR & RJ in Paid J (some of these tickets have had AA domestic first marketed and metal segments on them) Additionally I had a paid Intl F trip that was AA marketed/EY metal.

All of my domestic earning has been on AA, but that totals only around $8k (75% paid Y, 25% paid F)

I know that when the EQD system comes into play, my spend on partner flights will be appropriately accounted for. However, for this year, I'm unsure if my AA Revenue Contribution really matters. Does AA care about my partner spend?

Shareholder Oct 18, 2016 8:36 am

Originally Posted by rasheed (Post 27351787)
Low spenders are getting affected the most and high spenders will benefit especially with more RDM.

Rasheed

More to the point, the more generous one's employer, the better one's ability to retain upper tier stastus. There are some people who actually buy $12K tickets and they're the ones who will have no issue with retaining ExecPlat, though in most of those cases, they'd hardly care or make use of the benefits, with a few who recognize status going all the way to the more exclusive VIP status AA offers its very best customers.

It will still be possible to reach a $12 spend by booking some of QR's low-priced business fares between longer distance destinations. The spend figure will then be calculated at 20%-25% of the distance flown, and not the $1500 or so actually paid. Such a ticket covering 15K of mileage will generate $3000 of spend. So those who "chase status" will still be able to achieve their goal.

As for a credit card exemption, how would this affect members outside countries where there is no AA credit card? For UA, it resulted in their being excluded from the spend requirement for all tiers.

As for "chasing status", there are some sound economic benefits like buying a $600 r/t ticket to Europe and getting upgraded to a seat that would otherwise cost $3000 or more, or just ensuring access to free extra legroom seats, OW lounge access and priority airport treatment. We all have our own measure of cost:benefit valuations.

DWFI Oct 18, 2016 10:00 am

I'm at $16,094 in spend so far this year spread across all carriers with 226,802 miles flown. I'd guess about $11,000 of that has gone to AA.

I ended last year with $27,010 of spend totaling a travel distance of 352,714 miles (this year is significantly down from that).

I'll probably not renew EXP for 2018, only because in today's world (I paid $335 one way BOS-SEA on DL in F last week) it just makes more sense to do what the airlines want us to do - buy based on network and price. And if I'm paying for F, I don't need to be EXP.

I hope this destruction of loyalty thing works out for the US3. Based off of yields being down 6-8%, it doesn't seem to be working so well.

krazieman Oct 18, 2016 10:16 am

$3k is amazing. I'm at about $14k this year on AA/One World and I'm at about 85000 EQM. That's including the 5k EQM from my Barclays Aviator

ckx2 Oct 18, 2016 10:29 am

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 27361378)
103k EQM's / 24 segments

2 Flights to Brazil in J
1 RTW in J
1 domestic F
1 J to Mexico
10k from CC spend
Approx $20-25k in spend total

Still have 5 SWU from last year and don't know when I will burn them since I am done flying for the year.

Haha - If you have no idea how to burn them, I'll be more than happy to take them ;)

island82 Oct 18, 2016 11:05 am

Originally Posted by anaggie (Post 27361378)

I can help you use them on my quest to EXP ;)

grrizzli Oct 18, 2016 12:11 pm

I'll finish 2016 with $6k spent on AA tickets and re-qualify for EXP with 108.7k EQMs.
My guess that the EQDs would be around $5k, I didn't separate the taxes and fees.

MiamiFlyer Oct 18, 2016 12:55 pm

It's over now

This is my 17th consecutive year as EXP, all on my own dime, and all for pleasure. I am one of the people AA is targeting with the new program, and I understand why. My average spend over those years is about $4k a year, and I have accumulated millions of miles in the process at 250K+ year.

Sad to see it all coming to an end, but I don't blame AA. What I do blame AA for recently is no upgrades until <24 hours (no meal choice) although dozens of seat available. poor customer service from too many agents that no longer care, and simple misrepresentation of the facts for flight delays and cancellations (which have happened a lot, 37 out of 54 flights this year). 45+ minute waits for bags,(and the priority tags don't mean anything), and generally poor customer service inflight (too many F/A's simply provide MINIMAL in-flight service, especially in F/C). I treasure those moments when I get a real professional agent that is dedicated to their job.

Have millions of miles, but disappointed that I can no longer find any F/C or Business seats to almost any destination outside the US with a Milesaver award. Have been through CO/UA, DL, and now AA - almost 9MM in total, and the industry is changing.

Miles are almost worthless except domestically, but I will continue to fly AA until I burn up a couple million miles that I have accumulated. Future revenue to AA will be $0, so I no longer care.

Thank you Dougie for destroying one more used to be great airline.......

Dave Noble Oct 18, 2016 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Shareholder (Post 27361496)
As for a credit card exemption, how would this affect members outside countries where there is no AA credit card? For UA, it resulted in their being excluded from the spend requirement for all tiers.

AA does have quite different EQD earning rules to UA

UA only gives PQD where either (a) travel is on United or (b) travel is on a star airline and UA issues the ticket

AA will give EQD on eligible partner flights , regardless of who issues the ticket. This makes partner EQD on AAdvantage earning a lot easier , I would suggest , than partner PQD earning on Mileage Plus