Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2017, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 Main Cabin and Main Cabin Extra Seats and Service
The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner entered service October 6, 2016.
The aircraft accommodates 207 Main Cabin seats plus 27 Main Cabin Extra seats (for a total of 234 Economy seats)

Related threads:
Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016
Boeing 787-9 / 789 Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat & Service (master thd)
Print Wikipost

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Coach, MCE & Premium Economy Seat, Service (master thd) ...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is there a metal bar issue with these PE seats like on the domestic fleet?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
What metal bar issue are you speaking?
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ChurchofTee
Another thing to consider, you could have babies in bulkhead Y, right behind your seats.
I presume there could also be babies in bulkhead PE, right next to your seats
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Depending on the seat, yes - just looked up the issue for an upcoming JFK-CDG on a 772 (i believe the PE seats are the same across all fleets): https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/ame...-econ-lhr-mia/
Old Feb 17, 2019, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState

Depending on the seat, yes - just looked up the issue for an upcoming JFK-CDG on a 772 (i believe the PE seats are the same across all fleets): https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/ame...-econ-lhr-mia/
Bummer...having just spent 4 hours on an A319 with the bar killing my back it got me wondering who on earth approved these seats. The guy sitting next to me didn’t even give his coat to the FA to hang because he wanted to extra padding. I settled for using the blanket.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum

Bummer...having just spent 4 hours on an A319 with the bar killing my back it got me wondering who on earth approved these seats. The guy sitting next to me didn’t even give his coat to the FA to hang because he wanted to extra padding. I settled for using the blanket.
Ah! I thought you meant the metal bar blocking underseat storage. I always thought these seats were the same as domestic first seats, but for some reason I didn’t notice the bar in the seat itself the one time I flew PE (bulkhead on a 772). Though maybe the many glasses of champagne from the Flagship Lounge dsitracted me, lol.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite

I have never had this issue, but I also take a seat cushion with me and use the pillow they give as lumbar support.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I’ll be flying PE on the 787-9 (ORD->) LAX -> SYD in mid-April. Any new updates?

Fingers crossed for miles + copay upgrade on the outbound.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I haven't flown in PE but I will add that anytime there is a 2/3/2 format I tend to pick an aisle in the middle 3 seats. The reason being is sometimes you get lucky and the 2 seats next to you are filled with a travelling pair so the middle seat (you'd think) passenger will get up and pass their travel partner. Doesn't always work out but you know for sure that choosing an aisle in one of the 2 window seats is going to need to get up. Sounds like with bulkhead seats here it isn't a problem but something to consider.
I usually do the same - pick the middle section, aisle, on the chance that the middle seat stays open (sometimes does) or, as you say, that a couple will be in the other two seats. Once I was unpleasantly surprised to sit next to a couple where, for the entire flight, the (quite large) woman felt it was better to disturb me rather than her partner when heading to the galley.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 12:28 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
On the 787-9 in MCE, 3 questions:

1. would you take Row 12 of MCE with the bulkhead over Row 13/14 ... or row 24 (emergency exit MCE?). I typically like bulkhead, but raising the armrest for rows 13/14 feels a bit more comfortable if no one takes the middle seat...
2. Why is 12JKL blocked on expertflyer? The other MCE seats are available "premium" or booked?
3. is the window seat of the emergency exits always blocked + unusable?

Last edited by shuuy; Apr 11, 2019 at 12:51 am
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Are they not selling 24A/L on these planes anymore? Also wondering if middle row 12 is preferable to row 24. Thanks!
Old May 20, 2019, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by shuuy
On the 787-9 in MCE, 3 questions:

1. would you take Row 12 of MCE with the bulkhead over Row 13/14 ... or row 24 (emergency exit MCE?). I typically like bulkhead, but raising the armrest for rows 13/14 feels a bit more comfortable if no one takes the middle seat...
2. Why is 12JKL blocked on expertflyer? The other MCE seats are available "premium" or booked?
3. is the window seat of the emergency exits always blocked + unusable?
12JKL are always blocked until check in or sometime after check in. Same as 10JKL on 787-8. I never see 24AL unblocked. I think you can only ask for those seats at the airport
Old Jun 8, 2019, 11:21 am

We are currently booked ORD-LHR on the 787-9 Premium Economy in 10L and 10J, but I’m considering switching to 11L and 11J so I can have zero guilt about reclining (I know that’s ridiculous). I see some discussion here that row 11 does recline, but there are conflicting user reviews about that on SeatGuru; one says yes, one says no.

We will prebook meal choice so service front to back probably not an issue. I know row 9 is most popular but it’s booked for our trip and we don’t want the IFE/lav situation anyway. Just looking for any opinions on row 10 vs 11. Thanks!
Old Jun 8, 2019, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by ORDtoLHR
We are currently booked ORD-LHR on the 787-9 Premium Economy in 10L and 10J, but I’m considering switching to 11L and 11J so I can have zero guilt about reclining (I know that’s ridiculous). I see some discussion here that row 11 does recline, but there are conflicting user reviews about that on SeatGuru; one says yes, one says no.

We will prebook meal choice so service front to back probably not an issue. I know row 9 is most popular but it’s booked for our trip and we don’t want the IFE/lav situation anyway. Just looking for any opinions on row 10 vs 11. Thanks!
row 11 fully reclines.
ORDtoLHR likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 5:30 pm

AA 789 premium economy

Doing LAX-SYD in AA premium economy this year. The wife and I are currently booked in 10A and 10C. I am 6'3" tall and I figure I will be able to stretch my legs out under the seat in front of me as I do on domestic short haul F. I keep looking at pictures of the bulkhead row 9 that has the leg rests. This row is the only one with leg rests and it looks like there is quite a bit of room between the seat and the bulkhead. Any tall people flown in these seats on this aircraft? I would like to move to have the legrest instead of the footrests that the other 2 rows have but I am concerned that I won't have room to fully stretch my legs out. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.