Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-9 / 789: Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat, Service (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 "Best Business Seat" and Service

There are 20 789s at the end of 2018: there will be a total of 47 789s (and 42 788s) in the Dreamliner fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-9 stretched Dreamliner Business class seating and service. For the Zodiac Business seats in the 787-8, see here.

NOTE: According to boerne, "seat reset button on 787-9 in J is on the bottom of the H side of the center aisle".

Related threads:

Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Premium Economy, Coach & MCE Seat & Service (master thd) ...

The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner went into service October 6, 2016 DFW-LAX-DFW, after an ETOPS-proving DFW-LHR-DFR AA 50 - 51 immediately prior.

The new aircraft uses 30 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond solo seats in Business class, similar to those used by Air Canada, Virgin Australia, - and Qatar Airways in its newer aircraft (e.g. A350), instead of the Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" used in the 787-8 / 788.

This seat faces forward (at an angle to the fuselage centerline, reverse herringbone) 100%, is outward oriented seating at windows, inward facing in the center seat pair. The center seat pair is ideal for couples, as they are seated side by side facing inward; it is less than ideal for solo flyers, because AA has chosen to not install movable privacy dividers between middle seats. Row 5 has one window instead of two. (There is no induced motion issue, as there is with the Zodiac seats.)
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-9 / 789: Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat, Service (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:36 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by caburrito
Recently flew on a 787-9. I've flown on the B/E Super Diamond's on a 772 so the seats weren't unfamiliar. Comfortable, great desk space. Not sure what the complaint is regarding the windows not dimming dark enough. Didn't really notice a difference in cabin pressure on the Dreamliner vs the 777's. Compared to the 77W's, there's definitely more vertical leg room on the Zodiac seats than the B/E. The IFE control placement is better on the Zodiac as well. But the desk space and storage goes to B/E. A side note, 77W's mini J cabin is overrated.
Wondering what "vertical leg room" means. Meaning when in sleep mode? It looks like much of your legs are under the tray table/TV. So does a tall person (6'7") have little room to move his legs?

We had to postpone our Australia trip... obviously a long flight, but seemed like it would have been fine and sleep would have been quite possible on the 77W. But in 2018 I guess it's all 787-9's to Australia on AA. Just hoping the sleeping isn't radically worse.

These are the same seats on Virgin Australia, yes? Anyone flown both AA's 787-9 business and Virgin Australia's version? Any difference?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by BrooklynDave
Wondering what "vertical leg room" means. Meaning when in sleep mode? It looks like much of your legs are under the tray table/TV. So does a tall person (6'7") have little room to move his legs?
The Super Diamond footwell has much more space for your feet. Particularly in the window seats. Very good footwell space there for vertical and horizontal room.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:37 pm

And the Super Diamond is the 787, right? Because it seemed like the guy I quoted was saying there was more space on the 777.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:45 pm

And the Super Diamond is the 787, right? Because it seemed like the guy I quoted was saying there was more space on the 777.
The Super Diamond seat is on all of the 787-900's, and on 60% of the 777-200's.

The other 40% of 772's and the 787-800's all have the Zodiac forward/rear seat. ^
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:31 am

Okay; I was trying to compare the 787-9 to the 777-300 (77W); in other words, what AA will be flying to Australia soon vs. what they are flying currently (but not for much longer).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:35 am

Okay; I was trying to compare the 787-9 to the 777-300 (77W); in other words, what AA will be flying to Australia soon vs. what they are flying currently (but not for much longer).
IMO, a window seat in the 789 Super Diamond is just as good (if not slightly better) than a 77W seat.

The middle seat Super Diamond variants are not as good, as the privacy is much worse than the 77W middle seats.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:39 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I flew the 77W (DFW-HKG) and 789 (ICN-DFW) recently with both being C window seats. They are very similar although I felt more comfortable in the 77W. This is probably because I'm 5' 11" (180 cm) and the super diamond seats are shorter. I did like the larger monitor on the 789. You can't go wrong with either one, but for comfort and layout...I would have to choose the 77W.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:36 am

If the super diamond seats are shorter, this is what I was worried about, being 6'7". Other very tall guys here said that the 77W seats were fine, as in lay-flat mode they were almost that long, and wide enough to bend your knees a little and you could get good sleep. That's why I was wary of the "less vertical leg room" comment, and looking at pics it looks like much of your legs are underneath the tray table/monitor, so it seemed like it could be kind of tight for a really tall guy.

The Virgin Australia super diamond seats look similar, yet I've read a couple of very tall guys saying they were fine, so go figure. That's why I wondered if there was any difference.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA 1K 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
2-Nov 2017
AA 281 DFW --> ICN
Aircraft 789 | Seat 5L (SWU cleared from W fare)

Overall a great flight and a great FA, but areas to improve:
- Hot towel quality...United has an actual towel
- PDB served in plastic...glassware, please. Not a quality welcome.
- Mid flight plated snack was a surprise, it was very good. However, two snack baskets and fruit bowls were placed on top of Row 1 Seats D & H for self service. If I were in those seats, I would not want fellow passengers serving themselves from my seat area!
- Close the cabin divider/drape in front galley...too much light into passenger cabin
Old Nov 24, 2017, 10:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We’d 01 Nov 2017, AA36, DFW-MAD. Departed Terminal A at DFW.

The increased cabin pressure and moister atmosphere seemed to make a significant difference in terms of feeling at the end of the flight, nasal tissue desiccation, etc.

We occupied seats at the front of the cabin, and the galley noise - a lot of it loud chatter much of the night between active FAs and adrenaline-pumped NRSA colleagues, was a PITA. Farther back than 1A is definitely better.

The seat itself is quite comfortable and is provided with considerable storage.

I’d rate longhaul J seats in order of comfort:

77W Zodiac Cirrus
789 BAE Super Diamond Solo / 777 BAE Super Diamond Solo
330 Zodiac Sicma "Envoy Suite"
788 Zodiac Concept D Business Suite / 777 Zodiac
763 Thompson Vantage
75L BAE Diamond Parallel (which are the same as A321T Business)

BUT the Zodiac Concept Ds vary significantly in comfort depending on whether you get a “Motion over the ocean” coupled seat

The flight itself was punctuated by a medical emergency diversion to Lajes Field in the Azores. As this is an active joint Portugal-USA Air Force base, we were required to be bussed to the uncomfortable passenger terminal (all metal seating) whilst the aircraft was refueled. Our arrival into MAD was about four hours late.

I was really glad I booked my separate ongoing tickets to TFN and left a lengthy connection time at MAD - if I’d allowed four hours I’d have missed my connecting flight.

Last edited by JDiver; May 4, 2018 at 10:36 pm Reason: Typo & add
Old Nov 30, 2017, 1:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
In response to another poster re the shoulder seat belts on the 789, I wrote this in that thread. In this thread post, I will be including additional comments and photos from my recent flight.

Originally Posted by 24left
Just flew the B789 LAX-AKL. Seat 4A (my personal preference on these aircraft)

Cabin and Biz pod almost identical to the Air Canada 788s and 789s I've been flying for 3 years and the exact same B/E Aerospace seat. However, I think the couple of extra features on the AA version are actually better:

1. AA chose a different seat. It was excellent and did lie flat and my sleep was really nice (2 long segments as I skipped the first meal)
2. AA chose to include storage in the aisle-side arm-rest. Nice touch
3. AA has additional storage in the side table. Nice touch.
4. AA has slightly different outlet positioning in the main side-table storage.
5. I really liked AA's pre-arrival announcements and instructions for NZ etc. informative and nicely done.
6. No other airline I've flown has shoulder seat-belts in this model or other business-class seats. It was a bit weird when I first sat down and I actually had to ask the FA how and the first FA didn't know how so the purser came by and showed both of us. LOL
It was shown in the safety video.

P.S. Excellent ride, actually met 2 of the pilots and they asked me thoughts on the 789, AA vs AC vs the other long-haul aircraft I fly. Very cool.

Side table, IFE and table

Seat and side table

Row A

Really nice package with mattress pad, blanket and pillow

Amenity kit had a cheap feel to it despite the name. Contents as per usual.

Aisle side arm-rest storage.

Excellent mattress pad.

The fluffy stuff

View of the D seats

After 3 years, I am still endlessly amused by the window shade button and the alternate views.

Say again.

My regular routes are North Pacific, so this routing was interesting for me.

Nicely done.

She's a beautiful bird. I can still say that after 50+ flights on the 788s and 789s.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If the super diamond seats are shorter, this is what I was worried about, being 6'7".
I’m 6’5” and have slept like a baby in 789 multiple times. Hard to do much better. Don’t overthink it. Very nice J seats.
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:00 am
Suspended

Programs: EY Guest Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, Le Club Accor Silver, AAdvantage Gold
It baffles me as to why AA cannot install curtains between the cabins and galleys. Also why can I not get a decent meal in paid F domestically?
Old Jan 28, 2018, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
I have a question regarding this aircraft and traveling with pets in the business cabin. I did a search on this thread and the only thing I could find was info pertaining to service animals. I have family traveling tomorrow night on the DFW-LAX flight operated by a 787-9 in the business class cabin. They will be traveling with a 3 month old kitten that they have let AA know about and which has been added to their reservation. I told my family member to double check with the agents because I believed there is no floor storage with these seats for takeoff and landing and therefore no spot for their pet carrier. The family member called the EXP desk a few times to double check that they were ok and the agents said they will be fine but couldn't give them info on where their animal will go. What is the procedure for this and where will they put the carrier on takeoff and landing? I saw on AA's website that there is a special compartment on A321T's at the front of the plane for pets in first and business class. Does the 787-9 also have a compartment like this for taxi, takeoff and landing? Thank you for your help.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 3:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Have a DFW-LAX evening flight coming up in domestic first. Wide open cabin. Would prefer something closer to the 2L doors, since it seems that is the ingress/egress point. 8 A/L? Or is that too close to the doors and 6 A/L is a bit quieter? Does much light/noise make its way from the Prem Econ cabin up to biz?

Thanks for your input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.