Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dreamliner 787-9 / 789: Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat, Service (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 9, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Boeing 787-9 "Best Business Seat" and Service

There are 20 789s at the end of 2018: there will be a total of 47 789s (and 42 788s) in the Dreamliner fleet.

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the Boeing 787-9 stretched Dreamliner Business class seating and service. For the Zodiac Business seats in the 787-8, see here.

NOTE: According to boerne, "seat reset button on 787-9 in J is on the bottom of the H side of the center aisle".

Related threads:

Boeing 787-9 (789): Discussion of 787-9 coming to AA 6 Oct 2016

Boeing 787-9 / 789: Premium Economy, Coach & MCE Seat & Service (master thd) ...

The 787-9 stretched version of the Dreamliner went into service October 6, 2016 DFW-LAX-DFW, after an ETOPS-proving DFW-LHR-DFR AA 50 - 51 immediately prior.

The new aircraft uses 30 B/E Aerospace Super Diamond solo seats in Business class, similar to those used by Air Canada, Virgin Australia, - and Qatar Airways in its newer aircraft (e.g. A350), instead of the Zodiac "Concept D Business Suite" used in the 787-8 / 788.

This seat faces forward (at an angle to the fuselage centerline, reverse herringbone) 100%, is outward oriented seating at windows, inward facing in the center seat pair. The center seat pair is ideal for couples, as they are seated side by side facing inward; it is less than ideal for solo flyers, because AA has chosen to not install movable privacy dividers between middle seats. Row 5 has one window instead of two. (There is no induced motion issue, as there is with the Zodiac seats.)
Print Wikipost

Dreamliner 787-9 / 789: Business (B/E Super Diamond) Seat, Service (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I have an upcoming flight in the 789 and am flying solo. Everything on the A side is open except for 1A and 3A, the L side has 5-8 open. Any recommendations? I'm inclined to go with 4A based on what I've read although I'm not seeing much comment other than to avoid rows 1, 2, and 8.

Thanks!
row 5 has only 1 window. All othe rows have 2. Avoid 1 and 8. Row 2 is fine
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gateH15

row 5 has only 1 window. All othe rows have 2. Avoid 1 and 8. Row 2 is fine
Avoid Row 5 and last 8 A and L , 7 D&H. My favorite is row 1 window as it is private. They discourage Business pax from using forward bathroom but it is personal taste. Unlike 788 you have no rear facing to watch out for. Have great flight. I love them on LHR-ORD.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by rjlon

Avoid Row 5 and last 8 A and L , 7 D&H. My favorite is row 1 window as it is private. They discourage Business pax from using forward bathroom but it is personal taste. Unlike 788 you have no rear facing to watch out for. Have great flight. I love them on LHR-ORD.
lavatory at door 2R is much better than forward one - it is accessible and spacious. I usually use that even if I’m seated all the way upfront on the left side
Old Aug 4, 2019, 5:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gateH15

lavatory at door 2R is much better than forward one - it is accessible and spacious. I usually use that even if I’m seated all the way upfront on the left side
Agreed. However I have a disability which limits movement, so I go for closest and make sure the flight deck are not lined up.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:33 pm

After reading all the posts. I think I will try seat 1L for privacy / sleep on DFW-MAD & seat 6A on return leg to sample both sides.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by quikshifter
After reading all the posts. I think I will try seat 1L for privacy / sleep on DFW-MAD & seat 6A on return leg to sample both sides.
Seat 1L was private but very loud. Flight attendants banging doors was annoying but seat 4L on way back was great.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 12:01 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cascade
I searched this thread but wasn't able to find the answer, so apologies if this has already been asked. Does Row 1 have a bigger foot area than the other rows? Im flying this on a 15 hour flight in a few months and being 6'2" I don't like the narrow foot cubbys that most reverse herringbone seats have, but I know some airlines have Row 1 with a full foot area, trying to find out if this is the case?
Bumping this question, I'd like to know this too.

Trying to pick the best seat for a daytime flight from ORD to HNL. Thinking about a seat in the first or last row to minimize the number of people I'm around due to COVID.
Old Feb 14, 2021, 5:36 pm

I’m flying this DFW-FRA soon

what do y’all recommend between (L row): 1, 2, and 4....I am leaning for 4L or 2L..
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:54 am

Currently have this plane booked to fly CDG to DFW in May with my wife and 4yr old son. I have my wife and son booked in the middle seats, Row 6D&H. Is it better for me to be in Seat 6L or 7L to also keep an eye on him and help him as needed. It appears the corresponding window seats are staggered forward from the center, so I am thinking 7L would give me a better view into 6H than 6L would, but I haven't sat in this new configuration to know for sure. The 4yr old is a seasoned flyer, so not too worried about him, but this will be his first angled "shell-type" J seat and I'm sure I'll have to help him with some things.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: Iberia Platino,15x Southwest Companion Pass/ Hilton LT Diamond/ Hertz PC, OWEmerald; Marriott Gold
Where to sit on 787-9. 5L or 7L from US to EU

I am flying to Europe soon and I have the choice of either seat. To some it’s not a big deal but it’s a long flight and I seek assistance.

5L is a window Business seat but with NO window

7L is a windows with a window but is further back and in close proximity of the galley. I have never been on this aircraft but maybe some of you out there have and give me a better idea of that location may be an issue or not.

Thanks all for your help
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I've learned not to worry about the windows too much. Sure they are nice during takeoff and landing, but during the flight you're likely going to leave it closed. If you need to look outside, get up and walk to one of the exit doors and glance through that window. Good opportunity to stretch your legs and move around.
feysul likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2021, 8:52 am

5L hands down.

it has a window, just not 2.
feysul likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:00 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Schedule change has forced me from ATH-JFK onto ATH-ORD and my diligent seat-selection has been rendered useless with the new AC. Traveling with companion, available seats at 7/8A or L, or 1/4/6/7 DH. We don't need to sit next to each other and would prefer window seats all things considered. Initially were mid-cabin window seats 4/5L, but I'm concerned about being so close to the galley with 7/8A or L

Thoughts on best selection?
Old Jun 19, 2021, 5:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by MichaelKade
Schedule change has forced me from ATH-JFK onto ATH-ORD and my diligent seat-selection has been rendered useless with the new AC. Traveling with companion, available seats at 7/8A or L, or 1/4/6/7 DH. We don't need to sit next to each other and would prefer window seats all things considered. Initially were mid-cabin window seats 4/5L, but I'm concerned about being so close to the galley with 7/8A or L

Thoughts on best selection?
Given those options, I would probably opt for 7/8 A/L. Galley noise could be an issue in row 8 depending on the crew. Your original window seat in row 5 actually is missing a window so you have a lean really far forward to look out.

-FlyerBeek
MichaelKade likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2021, 5:08 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Given those options, I would probably opt for 7/8 A/L. Galley noise could be an issue in row 8 depending on the crew. Your original window seat in row 5 actually is missing a window so you have a lean really far forward to look out.

-FlyerBeek
1A and 1L are now available. We wouldn’t be sitting next close to each other but that’s not a major issue for either of us. Thinking with galley noise from 8L we’d be better off.

Last edited by MichaelKade; Jun 20, 2021 at 5:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.