Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 2 class Domestic US50 First re-coded as J, D, I, R, C Nov 12, 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 13, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA two class First in US 50 states have been recoded to J, D, I, R and C

AA has announced two class USA 50 states First class will be recoded as D, J and I. To occur 12 Nov 2016, simultaneously with the next schedule change, tickets for travel 11 Jan 2017 and later will be reissued to show the new coding (JonNYC). (The seating and service will remain as it is now; only coding will be changed to allow future coding for AA's new Premium Economy class.)

The current "F" cabin on two class US50 will be changed to "C"

F will be recoded to J
A will be recoded to D (discount F)
P will be recoded to I

X will be recoded as R
A will be recoded as C (upgrade)

c/o BoardingArea

See "American Airlines Memo Details New Fare Booking Classes to Support Sale of Premium Economy" by Gary Leff on October 13, 2016 link

Updates by sensei; updated by JDiver 14 Nov 2016

Print Wikipost

AA 2 class Domestic US50 First re-coded as J, D, I, R, C Nov 12, 2016

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Many thanks JonNYC
Old Sep 25, 2016, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Calchas
Is there an example of any other airline that uses the same fare bucket for two distinct revenue classes?
US did.

I wonder what ever happened to that airline...
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Can't say I have all those details, but, Effective date is mid February-- I think coinciding with date -W- is first made available for sale. (feb 18th maybe?)
So is it fairly safe to assume that there won't be any major pre-emptive changes before that happens?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Deleted

Last edited by Calchas; Sep 25, 2016 at 11:28 am
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
I bet it means you don't get F on a connecting domestic 3 class cabin from/to int'l J, like you do now.
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
What are you referring to?
On 3 cabin domestic sold as 3 cabin - then I agree - you aren't supposed to get F.

But on 3 cabin domestic sold as 2 cabin the J cabin is like MCE - available to Elites as MCE. And a comp upgrade is to the 3 cabin F, so I suspect that will still hold. Although not many 3 cabin aircraft left except 77W and the transcon 321.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
True.

I'm debating whether to use an SWU for the LHR-MIA leg only. If I hadn't been in F MIA-LAX, I'd use them the whole way.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 11:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
So is it fairly safe to assume that there won't be any major pre-emptive changes before that happens?
Yes, I'd say definitely safe in this context, from the information that's presently available.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
As somebody who is going to use his last year of EXP in 2017 transitioning to BA Gold by cherrypicking YUP routes and buying some BA PE tickets, this obviously hurts a bit because it effectively increases the cost of obtaining BA status by about 20%. But I really can't bring myself to be upset about it, because a CR9 F cabin is closer to a BA 787 PE than anything resembling even a J product.

The inability to easily redeem SWUs domestically in A, however, is going to be painful, and just another reason why trying to earn EXP again in 2017 is a non-starter.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
But I really can't bring myself to be upset about it, because a CR9 F cabin is closer to a BA 787 PE than anything resembling even a J product.
That's comparing apples to oranges, though. I'd argue that BA's shorthaul J product is more like Y- than anything resembling true J.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
Corporate travel policies

They are potentially doing this to sell more premium tickets to corporate travelers, as corporate travel policies tend to frown on first class tickets but as strict for business class tickets.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by freakflyer
They are potentially doing this to sell more premium tickets to corporate travelers, as corporate travel policies tend to frown on first class tickets but as strict for business class tickets.
But AA will still be marketing the cabin as domestic first class. Do most corporate travel policies go by what the cabin is marketed as (as that is not changing), or by what the fare code is (as that is what is changing)? In other words, do they see a difference between an "A" fare code and an "I" fare code, for example?
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:27 pm

Programs: AA EP
Guess we are due for a bunch of announcements from AA

- F now J
- Basic Economy
- PEY (AAdvanatge rates, etc)
- In conjunction with PEY, change to one class SWUs mileage upgrades (edit to say y to PEY vs Y to J)

Hopefully this all comes sooner rather than later so we can plan accordingly.

Last edited by AAExecPlatFlier; Sep 25, 2016 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Guess we are due for a bunch of announcements from AA

- F now J
- Basic Economy
- PEY (AAdvanatge rates, etc)
- In conjunction with PEY, change to one class SWUsabs mileage upgrades

Hopefully this all comes sooner rather than later so we can plan accordingly.
The bolded part is already the case, though. SWU and mileage upgrades are upgrades to the next class. Only now there'll be a different class (PE) that will be the next class.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 4:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Fanjet
But AA will still be marketing the cabin as domestic first class. Do most corporate travel policies go by what the cabin is marketed as (as that is not changing), or by what the fare code is (as that is what is changing)? In other words, do they see a difference between an "A" fare code and an "I" fare code, for example?
If AA maintains classifying J as business class, then regardless of advertising, it would count as a business class fare - it would seem more logical to advertise it as business class too and keep it simple
Old Sep 25, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I guess if they want it to be as seamless as possible, they could use a date greater than 330 days out, and thus would only affect new bookings.

What would be interesting if there is enough of a commercial imperative for them to do it sooner, and thus embark on an IT project to change existing bookings with all the associated costs that would entail.
Could it be loaded as just a massive schedule change?

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If AA maintains classifying J as business class, then regardless of advertising, it would count as a business class fare - it would seem more logical to advertise it as business class too and keep it simple
But Delta and United both advertise their domestic premium product as First. We know it's the products are largely similar among the three carriers regardless of what they're called, but AA only offering "Business" could be seen as inferior by less savvy travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.