Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

New American Airlines Safety Video Released 22 Sep 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New American Airlines Safety Video Released 22 Sep 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by AUSINSIGHT
Is this a new feature?!?! In the past did you have to push a button?? This gnaws on the same nerve that gets annoyed every time CNN does a "breaking news" that isn't remotely breaking nor is it, often, actual news.
I live in a community where a lot have never traveled by air and often got asked about flying when I participated in community events. What's wrong with telling them what would happen?

CX also uses the same language (O2 marks will drop automatically. 2:23) and I don't find anything wrong with it.

Same to BA (2:07):
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I live in a community where a lot have never traveled by air and often got asked about flying when I participated in community events. What's wrong with telling them what would happen?
I don't think that the issue was telling people about the masks but the use of the word "now" , which implies that it used to not be automatic
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't think that the issue was telling people about the masks but the use of the word "now" , which implies that it used to not be automatic
I agree with your interpretation but just to post

And FT is going towards GMAT sentence correction class now. Glad I don't need to take that exam anymore. /s
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:50 pm

I agree with your interpretation but just to post

And FT is going towards GMAT sentence correction class now. Glad I don't need to take that exam anymore. /s
I actually think that it is very poor that airlines seem unable to create correctly worded scripts

One awful one that I used to hear on one airline was "All electronic devices must not be switched on" , which is not only clumsy but doesn't even state the correct requirement
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:53 pm

I actually think that it is very poor that airlines seem unable to create correctly worded scripts

One awful one that I used to hear on one airline was "All electronic devices must not be switched on" , which is not only clumsy but doesn't even state the correct requirement
In fact, now could actually be used here:

7. adverb
You say 'Now' or 'Now then' to indicate to the person or people you are with that you want their attention, or that you are about to change the subject.

Source:
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di...ry/english/now

There isn't really any need to go through grammar formality since not everyone here is English litterateur anyway. We make grammar errors such as agreement, parallel on a daily basis.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:02 pm

There isn't really any need to go through grammar formality since not everyone here is English litterateur anyway. We make grammar errors such as agreement, parallel on a daily basis.
When creating publications or presentations that are going to be used in public communications, then there really is a need

It is also important to make sure that it is logically correct too

e.g. If an announcement says "All electronic devices must not be switched on" then all that I need to do is bring 2 electronic devices and leave one switched off and can leave the other switched on with certainty that the requirement has been met

Indeed - there are people whose 1st language is not English and using the language badly makes it harder to translate and understand
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
When creating publications or presentations that are going to be used in public communications, then there really is a need

e.g. If an announcement says "All electronic devices must not be switched on" then all that I need to do is bring 2 electronic devices and leave one switched off and can leave the other switched on with certainty that the requirement has been met

Indeed - there are people whose 1st language is not English and using the language badly makes it harder to translate and understand
You can also have one that was previously on and the requirement will be met, as there was no switching that was performed.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:17 pm

I have no intention of going towards this direction given the topics OP started and I agree with your first statement. Now (which is used the same way as quoted above and by no way means "presently"), this is the last comment I will make on grammar.

My point is the rant is too much.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares

You just typed an entire post without using any periods. Were you going for irony or did it just magically happen?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
You just typed an entire post without using any periods. Were you going for irony or did it just magically happen?
If I sending out a letter to customers, then I would ensure that all punctuation and spelling is correct - if creating a script that was going to be used 100s of times a day, I would ensure that it was logically correct too.

Posting on a forum is different, as far as I am concerned.

Given that each sentence was given its own paragraph, the full stops were implied ; it did not impact the logic of the contents of the post.

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 14, 2018 at 9:19 pm
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This thread 🙄
econometrics likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
I actually don't mind the video...I've seen it maybe 4 times more than BA's new comedy routine (which has been around for a lot less time) and the latter annoys me far more. I think AA's is quite cleverly done and do try to spot the camera operators in the mirrors when everything switches around...

Originally Posted by Mats
Similarly, I can't stand, "first, let's fasten those belts!"
If I told you it was, "First things first, let's buckle those belts" would you be able to stand it more?
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:07 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Agree. AA's is way more formal than BA's as well. QF's is too long but the actual one is way shorter in flight, still, very informal; CX's too boring/formal on the other hand.

I enjoy AA's safety video probably because the background music is pretty cheerful and light.
BAs is very very long, and unbelievably tedious as the participants think that they are being funny and clever and they are neither. I shall not discuss what I think about the cheering being removed as I think that I agree with others about the AA video, I am however, instantly caught by that infectious ticky- tocky beat which goes all over you like a rash, and I feel like getting up and sashaying down the aisle. I would even need a PDB. I think that it's actually quite a good video.

In my salad days I was a slave to love, now it is miles, points, and of course - the rhythm.
AAway and andersonCooper like this.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
, I am however, instantly caught by that infectious ticky- tocky beat which goes all over you like a rash, and I feel like getting up and sashaying down the aisle. I would even need a PDB. I think that it's actually quite a good video.

In my salad days I was a slave to love, now it is miles, points, and of course - the rhythm.
We need video of this!
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:50 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by wrp96
We need video of this!
I waltzed up and down airplane aisles all my working life - now I get to boogie on AA.

Think Shakira - now that would make them actually pay attention.

(wrp96 - www.puccitobuckleupby.com
All payment cards accepted )

Seriously - I am glad that some of you noticed the non-cheer as it means that you must be taking more than just a passing interest in the thing.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.