Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Updated aa.com booking & PNR display / GUI (~17 Sep 2016)

Guide to Updated aa.com booking & PNR display / GUI (~17 Sep 2016)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 9, 17, 3:21 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
New aa.com Website Booking and PNR Display / GUI Changes Sep 2016

aa.com booking changes began with a few noticeable changes, such as the inability to print receipts with ticket numbers. More changes occurred 16 Sep, but it appears the final rollout was 17 Sep 2016.

As reported by members, the following characteristics have been noted (please add or edit as needed):

Booking page:
May have to resize browser rendering to see entire page

Pop ups may be rendered out of scale

Saves previous searches (but not number of pax)

Search from front page OR "Plan Travel" link

Favors simple, not complex, searches

Shows Main Cabin and First for two class flights; Main Cabin, Business and First for three

Shows one week with lowest Main Cabin only fare in tabbed column header

Shows by lowest or refundable fare (tab)

One available price shown in each class, not fare class without more clicking

"Sort by price" sorts on the lowest Main Cabin column, may does not reveal on first page of results

Shows flights offered TOD, TOA, TT, but not segment or connection time unless you click on details

Only shows early to late flight order (no option late to early / sort)

Shows aircraft type, but often vaguely - e.g. "32B - A321 (Sharklets), not A321H, S or T

Better SWU possible use shown, as well as pax SWU summary

Shows miles to be awarded, will show EQD in future (Details, entire trip only)

Shows available seats in all classes / map in new browser page

24 hour hold, if offered, at bottom of page

No more "search by schedule"search by schedule returned 3 Oct 2016 for multi-city searches

No more ability to build segment by segment

Does not show detailed fare rules

No more bundled fares - Choice, Choice Essential, Choice Plus, Fully Flexible

Can not rename PNR once booked

Did not test multi-city function
PNR page:
PNR page shows price and breakdown (fare + carrier imposed fees, taxes)

"Print trip and receipt" option (to new page - apparently still not for awards)

Clicking on seat # goes to seat selection process

Link to meal order (within 30 days) (missing link)

Link to schedule / seat charts page

Updated by JDiver 19 Sep 2016

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 16, 16, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Arrow Guide to Updated aa.com booking & PNR display / GUI (~17 Sep 2016)

Was looking at some flights, and...wow, it's about time!
Attached Images  
Old Sep 16, 16, 11:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA PP, DL SM/MM, HH Dia, All Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold
I also like the new format. You can now view seats in all cabins at once, and availability for SWUs is more clear.
Old Sep 16, 16, 11:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ah hah! The Choice and other bundled fares are no more, as we were promised. The display looks much cleaner. I'll have to play around with it as I book my next flights.
Old Sep 16, 16, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
A definite improvement in design. ^ I particularly like how I can access all the seatmaps from a single pop-up window, instead of having to select individual flights and cabins.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 17, 16, 12:53 am

I don't like that it doesn't show which connecting city it is for each choice when it shows departure, arrival, flight numbers, and duration. But they are moving in the right direction, definitely an improvement
Old Sep 17, 16, 1:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I didn't like it initially, but had another look and agree that some of the bits that have been tidied up around EVIPs, seat maps etc is much better.
Old Sep 17, 16, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Major loss of functionality for complex itineraries: it does not allow you to build a trip by selecting a flight leg by leg and then calculate the fare based on your selected flights the way you used to be able to with "search by schedule". For those of us who use ITA Matrix to build a complex itinerary and then aa.com to buy it, this is a real bummer. Does anybody know whether there is a way to access the previous "search by schedule" functionality somewhere?
Old Sep 17, 16, 8:12 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I just want the ability to de-select certain hub airports so they don't show up in itineraries.
Old Sep 17, 16, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I just want the ability to de-select certain hub airports so they don't show up in itineraries.
Now that would be an amazing feature!!
Old Sep 17, 16, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Major loss of functionality for complex itineraries: it does not allow you to build a trip by selecting a flight leg by leg and then calculate the fare based on your selected flights the way you used to be able to with "search by schedule". For those of us who use ITA Matrix to build a complex itinerary and then aa.com to buy it, this is a real bummer. Does anybody know whether there is a way to access the previous "search by schedule" functionality somewhere?
+1

If the apparent loss of the Search by Schedule option is permanent then that's a major downgrade for me.
Old Sep 17, 16, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
Even the ability to see the connection cities in the search results, without having to click on the "1 stop" link, would be nice.

I also don't like the connection times being hidden. Looks like you now have to click on "Details," then on each of the legs, to figure out how long of a connection a given itinerary has.

The new interface may be "cleaner," but it's now almost impossible to quickly scan for desired connection airports and times.
Old Sep 17, 16, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueboys999 View Post
+1

If the apparent loss of the Search by Schedule option is permanent then that's a major downgrade for me.
This. Just last week I booked a fairly simple roundtrip to an international destination (served by OW partners, but no AA codeshare on the final leg) using the search by schedule option - because the default roundtrip search by fare would not return the schedule/fare combo I wanted. Big thumbs down on this.

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
Even the ability to see the connection cities in the search results, without having to click on the "1 stop" link, would be nice.

I also don't like the connection times being hidden. Looks like you now have to click on "Details," then on each of the legs, to figure out how long of a connection a given itinerary has.

The new interface may be "cleaner," but it's now almost impossible to quickly scan for desired connection airports and times.
Plus - the individual flight results take up more real estate now, meaning I can't easily quickly compare multiple flight options by scanning without additional clicks and scrolls.

Big downgrade in usability if you ask me.
Old Sep 17, 16, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bse118 View Post
Plus - the individual flight results take up more real estate now, meaning I can't easily quickly compare multiple flight options by scanning without additional clicks and scrolls.

Big downgrade in usability if you ask me.
And, evidently, you can no longer sort by column -- for example, by clicking the Economy and First column headers to see what the lowest prices in each class are. If you select "Sort by price," it only sorts on the lowest (economy) column.

Well, there's always Google Flights...
Old Sep 17, 16, 8:55 am

Also - I can't find a way to sort by departure time - late to early. It'll do early to late, but not the other way. Used to be able to do that with a single click. Ugh.
Old Sep 17, 16, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by rjw242 View Post
And, evidently, you can no longer sort by column -- for example, by clicking the Economy and First column headers to see what the lowest prices in each class are. If you select "Sort by price," it only sorts on the lowest (economy) column.

Well, there's always Google Flights...
Yeah - this is worth a email to AA telling them these changes are going to drive me away from their website for researching and building itineraries.

May even return to my optional corporate travel portal for making bookings.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: