Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Updated aa.com booking & PNR display / GUI (~17 Sep 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
New aa.com Website Booking and PNR Display / GUI Changes Sep 2016

aa.com booking changes began with a few noticeable changes, such as the inability to print receipts with ticket numbers. More changes occurred 16 Sep, but it appears the final rollout was 17 Sep 2016.

As reported by members, the following characteristics have been noted (please add or edit as needed):

Booking page:
May have to resize browser rendering to see entire page

Pop ups may be rendered out of scale

Saves previous searches (but not number of pax)

Search from front page OR "Plan Travel" link

Favors simple, not complex, searches

Shows Main Cabin and First for two class flights; Main Cabin, Business and First for three

Shows one week with lowest Main Cabin only fare in tabbed column header

Shows by lowest or refundable fare (tab)

One available price shown in each class, not fare class without more clicking

"Sort by price" sorts on the lowest Main Cabin column, may does not reveal on first page of results

Shows flights offered TOD, TOA, TT, but not segment or connection time unless you click on details

Only shows early to late flight order (no option late to early / sort)

Shows aircraft type, but often vaguely - e.g. "32B - A321 (Sharklets), not A321H, S or T

Better SWU possible use shown, as well as pax SWU summary

Shows miles to be awarded, will show EQD in future (Details, entire trip only)

Shows available seats in all classes / map in new browser page

24 hour hold, if offered, at bottom of page

No more "search by schedule"search by schedule returned 3 Oct 2016 for multi-city searches

No more ability to build segment by segment

Does not show detailed fare rules

No more bundled fares - Choice, Choice Essential, Choice Plus, Fully Flexible

Can not rename PNR once booked

Did not test multi-city function
PNR page:
PNR page shows price and breakdown (fare + carrier imposed fees, taxes)

"Print trip and receipt" option (to new page - apparently still not for awards)

Clicking on seat # goes to seat selection process

Link to meal order (within 30 days) (missing link)

Link to schedule / seat charts page

Updated by JDiver 19 Sep 2016

Print Wikipost

Guide to Updated aa.com booking & PNR display / GUI (~17 Sep 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
Yeah really. White space and larger font is your friend to an extent and in the case of AA, I believe they did a good job. You get less information per screen, but it vastly improves readability.

The biggest problem is in sorting and filtering functionality. Once that is improved, you won't need to scroll. The top 3-4 results will show you what you are looking for. Of course right now the sorting and filtering is not good so you have to scroll and peck through to find what you need.
Highly doubtful that the top 3-4 results will contain the results I want - which is usually some determined by some combination optimizing fare, departure/arrival time, connection time and connection cities.

Font size isn't the biggest problem - the problem is all the extraneous information (aircraft, change terminal, giant seat map and details links) that just creates wasted space in the fare grid. Much of this info can - and used to be - accomplished by + menus.

No way that white space is my friend.

EDIT: No idea where that green smiley at the top of this post came from (some inadvertent click, it seems) but I can't get rid of it.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 17, 2016 at 7:16 pm Reason: Kill green smiley (Edit, Go Advanced)
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:29 pm

Location: Rarely in one place long. Vancouver, WA when that happens.
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA LifePlat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Dmd, gave up on Hilton
New way AA shows flight options--horrible for planning trip

They show the departure and arrival time, larger for each offer, and each stop, total travel time, but no longer the timing of the individual flights unless you open each and every option.
This could be the killer for me. ExPlat but on Jan 1 all airlines offer nearly the same horrid approach to EQM with spend. I figured I know and enjoy AA, but...
What a nightmare!
Please look and comment or it might stay this way. The company I work for does this. Marketing redesigns things without being users, asking users, asking employees at the front line, but trying for visual appeal. I am all for visual appeal until utility is reduced or removed. Someone at AA needs to try to book some trips as though you were the consumer, on the old and new systems. I was booking One Way, FYI, in case I am lucky and at least RT was kept the same.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kiowavt
They show the departure and arrival time, larger for each offer, and each stop, total travel time, but no longer the timing of the individual flights unless you open each and every option.
This could be the killer for me. ExPlat but on Jan 1 all airlines offer nearly the same horrid approach to EQM with spend. I figured I know and enjoy AA, but...
What a nightmare!
Please look and comment or it might stay this way. The company I work for does this. Marketing redesigns things without being users, asking users, asking employees at the front line, but trying for visual appeal. I am all for visual appeal until utility is reduced or removed. Someone at AA needs to try to book some trips as though you were the consumer, on the old and new systems. I was booking One Way, FYI, in case I am lucky and at least RT was kept the same.
Being discussed here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-2016-a-3.html

I agree with you - makes the booking process a lot less functional and visual look of is part of the problem. And I've already sent an email off to AA about it - not that it will do any good.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA (EXP), Marriott Rewards (Lifetime PLT)
Unless I missed it, also missing besides the horrible lack of ability to search by schedule on a complex trip is the number of miles for the leg(s) if you expand the info.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:43 pm

Programs: BA Blue; AA Platinum; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Governator
For award searches, I don't like that even if you leave the Airline option set to American (not partners) on the first page, it continues to show you all the tax-you-to-pieces BA flights on the results page.
+1 ! That function is dysfunctional. It does make it even harder to find AA only Award seats and seeing the zero AA F TATL availability. Plus editing the search was easier previously.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
I don't know if it is their current new system or something that has happened before. A search I did this morning from SAT to MEM showed Main Cabin and First. Now it also shows Business Class?

Whereas Main Cabin averaged around $400 and First Class around $750, 1 Business class fare went for $14,454. I tried to select it and AA says the fare is gone.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: BA Blue; AA Platinum; Marriott Gold
I don't know if it is their current new system or something that has happened before. A search I did this morning from SAT to MEM showed Main Cabin and First. Now it also shows Business Class?

Whereas Main Cabin averaged around $400 and First Class around $750, 1 Business class fare went for $14,454. I tried to select it and AA says the fare is gone.
The web angels just saved you a bunch of $... (Yes, I've seen this before too.)
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A Wikipost summarizing changes noted here and elsewhere has been created. It's possible we might see some other changes roll out, but it's hard to predict.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:25 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
I am sticking to the old solution of using Google Flights to find the best fares/schedule and then use the jump to AA.com.

Honestly their website sucks for searching useful routing. Maybe it might be useful for DEN-DFW-DEN type itineraries. I default to Google Flights for anything remotely complicated than that.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:42 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Looks like the old US Airways website is back. The seat maps are a page right out of it, for example.

Overall there's pros and cons, but the cons vastly outweigh the pros. Rarely is a new web design better, and this follows that mold. The only big pros for me are seeing aircraft type without clicking and seat maps that show all cabins. The rest is garbage. Way too much white space, harder to sort, pathetic seat maps, hidden connection info, no multi-city, loss of 24-hr hold, etc. Wish AA could have learned from UA and their new website.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:49 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Looks like the old US Airways website is back. The seat maps are a page right out of it, for example.

Overall there's pros and cons, but the cons vastly outweigh the pros. Rarely is a new web design better, and this follows that mold. The only big pros for me are seeing aircraft type without clicking and seat maps that show all cabins. The rest is garbage. Way too much white space, harder to sort, pathetic seat maps, hidden connection info, no multi-city, loss of 24-hr hold, etc. Wish AA could have learned from UA and their new website.
I found the 24 hour hold right at the bottom on the payments page - last option - below the fold!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:22 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, AA LifePlat, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Dmd, gave up on Hilton
Originally Posted by bse118
Really? The UI/look is terrible in my opinion. Individual flight results take up far too much space - forcing me to scroll (or click "show more") to compare results that I previously saw on single screen.

It adds white space and overly large font size at the expense of information and usability that actually helps me compare flights.

I am glad I've booked all the travel I expect to through the end of the year - and likely won't need to book anything until mid-December. Give them some time to hopefully fix this mess (although I doubt they actually will). And if they don't - there are plenty of third party sites that provide both form and function. This has provided slightly reduced form and greatly reduced function.
+1 I am so glad I booked most of mine for 2016. On or two to go, but looks like via Google Flights. Which sometimes, oddly has better prices. Whoever made this change is NOT an ExPlat. Inane revamp really. Multi-city is still there, but I don't even want to see those results.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by rjw242
Even the ability to see the connection cities in the search results, without having to click on the "1 stop" link, would be nice.

I also don't like the connection times being hidden. Looks like you now have to click on "Details," then on each of the legs, to figure out how long of a connection a given itinerary has.

The new interface may be "cleaner," but it's now almost impossible to quickly scan for desired connection airports and times.
+1 Exactly. The number of times I will have to click on "Details" will bury me.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: AA EXP

This is a long-standing glitch. Usually happens when a domestic leg shares a flight number with an international one.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:36 am

Thumbs down

The Wiki is wrong about award flight on PNR page.
For award flight, we still cannot print or display the receipt or ticket number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.