Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Guide to Updated aa.com booking & PNR display / GUI (~17 Sep 2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
New aa.com Website Booking and PNR Display / GUI Changes Sep 2016

aa.com booking changes began with a few noticeable changes, such as the inability to print receipts with ticket numbers. More changes occurred 16 Sep, but it appears the final rollout was 17 Sep 2016.

As reported by members, the following characteristics have been noted (please add or edit as needed):

Booking page:
May have to resize browser rendering to see entire page

Pop ups may be rendered out of scale

Saves previous searches (but not number of pax)

Search from front page OR "Plan Travel" link

Favors simple, not complex, searches

Shows Main Cabin and First for two class flights; Main Cabin, Business and First for three

Shows one week with lowest Main Cabin only fare in tabbed column header

Shows by lowest or refundable fare (tab)

One available price shown in each class, not fare class without more clicking

"Sort by price" sorts on the lowest Main Cabin column, may does not reveal on first page of results

Shows flights offered TOD, TOA, TT, but not segment or connection time unless you click on details

Only shows early to late flight order (no option late to early / sort)

Shows aircraft type, but often vaguely - e.g. "32B - A321 (Sharklets), not A321H, S or T

Better SWU possible use shown, as well as pax SWU summary

Shows miles to be awarded, will show EQD in future (Details, entire trip only)

Shows available seats in all classes / map in new browser page

24 hour hold, if offered, at bottom of page

No more "search by schedule"search by schedule returned 3 Oct 2016 for multi-city searches

No more ability to build segment by segment

Does not show detailed fare rules

No more bundled fares - Choice, Choice Essential, Choice Plus, Fully Flexible

Can not rename PNR once booked

Did not test multi-city function
PNR page:
PNR page shows price and breakdown (fare + carrier imposed fees, taxes)

"Print trip and receipt" option (to new page - apparently still not for awards)

Clicking on seat # goes to seat selection process

Link to meal order (within 30 days) (missing link)

Link to schedule / seat charts page

Updated by JDiver 19 Sep 2016

Print Wikipost

Guide to Updated aa.com booking & PNR display / GUI (~17 Sep 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
I don't like that it doesn't show which connecting city it is for each choice when it shows departure, arrival, flight numbers, and duration. But they are moving in the right direction, definitely an improvement
+1
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
And, evidently, you can no longer sort by column -- for example, by clicking the Economy and First column headers to see what the lowest prices in each class are. If you select "Sort by price," it only sorts on the lowest (economy) column.

Well, there's always Google Flights...
Originally Posted by bse118
Also - I can't find a way to sort by departure time - late to early. It'll do early to late, but not the other way. Used to be able to do that with a single click. Ugh.
Yeah, these are my two biggest gripes, along with not selecting the connection airport. Look at DL (did I just say that?) and Kayak for examples of how it should be done.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I know everyone is looking at this like a bad thing, and from the general UI I too see a lot missing.

But this is a blessing in disguise, really. Someone on the web team must know what they are doing. The page structure makes it easy (behind the scenes) to sort and massage the data as you wish. It took me just a few minutes to have a Chrome extension set up that will always show stops/connections, for example. Removing all connections through an airport would actually be a fairly easy feat given the current page structure, as would be sorting by time in reverse.

If you're familiar with jQuery, this one line will show all routing, for example:
Code:
jQuery("[id*='_stopCountTooltip']").removeClass('is-hidden');
If you want to hide every flight that routes through DFW but not originating in or terminating at DFW:
Code:
jQuery(".orderedAirportList").children(':contains(DFW)').not(':first').not(':last').closest('li').hide();
My new favorite, hide all flights on A319s:
Code:
jQuery(".flight-info").children(':contains(A319)').closest('li').hide();
Now if only I knew how to slap a nice UI on the chrome extension and publish it, we would be set with the exception of the advanced routing search.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
For award searches, I don't like that even if you leave the Airline option set to American (not partners) on the first page, it continues to show you all the tax-you-to-pieces BA flights on the results page.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
UI looks great, Functionality needs work

I like how it looks, but the functionality is lacking. I hope they are aggressive with the functional catch up.

It's like the Iphone. Make it look good first, then add the functionality little by little.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nutwpinut
I like how it looks, but the functionality is lacking. I hope they are aggressive with the functional catch up.
Really? The UI/look is terrible in my opinion. Individual flight results take up far too much space - forcing me to scroll (or click "show more") to compare results that I previously saw on single screen.

It adds white space and overly large font size at the expense of information and usability that actually helps me compare flights.

I am glad I've booked all the travel I expect to through the end of the year - and likely won't need to book anything until mid-December. Give them some time to hopefully fix this mess (although I doubt they actually will). And if they don't - there are plenty of third party sites that provide both form and function. This has provided slightly reduced form and greatly reduced function.

Last edited by bse118; Sep 17, 2016 at 11:00 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by rjw242
Even the ability to see the connection cities in the search results, without having to click on the "1 stop" link, would be nice.

I also don't like the connection times being hidden. Looks like you now have to click on "Details," then on each of the legs, to figure out how long of a connection a given itinerary has.

The new interface may be "cleaner," but it's now almost impossible to quickly scan for desired connection airports and times.
+1 Initially selected a rather undesirable connection through ORD because of this. Took me getting to the 2nd step of booking to realize it.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:04 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
It is pretty useful in terms of finding the cheapest fare as you cannot sort the columns now. Often the cheapest headline fare is buried a couple of screens down. In addition, the UK web site is quoting fares in US$ for some reason.

It will make the site pretty useful for complex routings when BA Tier Points are the goal.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Markie
It is pretty useful in terms of finding the cheapest fare as you cannot sort the columns now. Often the cheapest headline fare is buried a couple of screens down. In addition, the UK web site is quoting fares in US$ for some reason.
Huh? You could find the lowest fare quite easily in the prior version by sorting columns or selecting lowest fare from the drop down menu. There's no improvement there.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Huh? You could find the lowest fare quite easily in the prior version by sorting columns or selecting lowest fare from the drop down menu. There's no improvement there.
Whoops - USELESS! I meant to say
Old Sep 17, 2016, 11:35 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
New site same non existent saver award availability.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Positives:
- Shows aircraft without having to click on "details"

Negatives:
- There's no way to sort departure or arrival by latest to earliest. You used to be able to click the departure or arrival times at the top of the page and it would flip from earliest to latest to latest to earliest
- The booking seatmap looks really amateurish. Same overuse of colors as the old US Airways
- Can't see fare classes from the booking screen, you have to click through several times.
- Hard to tell connection times from the booking screen, clicking on details gives you details about the flights individually, not listed together so you can't see the layover time
Old Sep 17, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
The GUI changed while I was searching for flights last night. Thought is was a temporary view whilst they did some maintenance but it does look like it is the new view.

Shame that you can't sort in reverse order by arrival time. Eg) I normally look for the latest flight back home that gets me in before 11:30. Now have to sort with earliest first and keep clicking through to the last page :-(
Old Sep 17, 2016, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Really? The UI/look is terrible in my opinion. Individual flight results take up far too much space - forcing me to scroll (or click "show more") to compare results that I previously saw on single screen.

It adds white space and overly large font size at the expense of information and usability that actually helps me compare flights.
Yeah really. White space and larger font is your friend to an extent and in the case of AA, I believe they did a good job. You get less information per screen, but it vastly improves readability.

The biggest problem is in sorting and filtering functionality. Once that is improved, you won't need to scroll. The top 3-4 results will show you what you are looking for. Of course right now the sorting and filtering is not good so you have to scroll and peck through to find what you need.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
Logged on to book some flights this AM and thought I was going to have call 911 or activate the AED! For us old guys, the bigger font is good! Much improved experience! Thanks...about darn time!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.