Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Converting Starpoints to American AAdvantage points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:18 am
Original Poster

I see that American Airlines is offering the following:

Don’t miss your last chance to earn more miles toward your next trip with the American Airlines AAdvantage® and Starwood Preferred Guest® programs. Now through September 14, 2016, you can earn a 20% bonus when you convert your Starpoints® to AAdvantage miles.

As always, for every 20,000 Starpoints transferred within the same transaction, SPG® will automatically add another 5,000 Starpoints. With the additional 20% mileage bonus offered by the AAdvantage program, you’ll receive 30,000 miles from the transaction.

My question: is it worthwhile to do this? What factors should I be thinking about in deciding whether or not to convert? I don't have all that many Starpoints...maybe 5000.

Thanks.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:44 am

If you're a little short on AAdvantage points and are planning on booking some award travel, I would take advantage of the promotion. It is a nice deal.

If you think you may use the Starpoints in the future w/ SPG on hotel stays I would leave them there.

These promotions come and go, I wouldn't feel to pressured into making a transfer now unless you have upcoming AA travel.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Welcome to FT, earowley!

There's more discussion here on this promo: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...14-2016-a.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.