Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Drastic fare increase in First on Hawaii routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT

I've consistently flown from LAX to Hawaii (OGG, HNL mostly) and routinely book First (Y-Up either A/P) rather than playing the odds at an upgrade.

In the past month, the fares for First (Y-Up) have almost doubled across all dates. Where I'd typically see a $1100-$1300 RT "First" fare, it's now upwards of $2400 RT. Obviously same product, no changes there. Where "First" used to be precisely $300 more each way, it's now upwards of $800+ more each way. Checked numerous dates and it's changed across the board.

I've only noticed the shift in my Hawaii routes, elsewhere across the country in Y-Up not much change. I get occupancy shifts across seasons but I've specifically looked at off-season and peak season dates and they are all way, way higher. Not-in-the-same-ballpark higher.

Has anyone else noticed this and any ideas why?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MauiOC

The answer to this, and many other questions posed here is the same answer to "Why do dogs lick themselves?"

If they've priced themselves out of the market, the fares will drop again.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Try Alaska; you'll still earn miles, etc. (1.5 vs 2.0 EQM, but price makes a difference to me.)
Old Sep 10, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA-Plat
I've consistently flown from LAX to Hawaii (OGG, HNL mostly) and routinely book First (Y-Up either A/P) rather than playing the odds at an upgrade.

In the past month, the fares for First (Y-Up) have almost doubled across all dates. Where I'd typically see a $1100-$1300 RT "First" fare, it's now upwards of $2400 RT. Obviously same product, no changes there. Where "First" used to be precisely $300 more each way, it's now upwards of $800+ more each way. Checked numerous dates and it's changed across the board.

I've only noticed the shift in my Hawaii routes, elsewhere across the country in Y-Up not much change. I get occupancy shifts across seasons but I've specifically looked at off-season and peak season dates and they are all way, way higher. Not-in-the-same-ballpark higher.

No idea, but I purchased KOA-LAX mid April for an early November trip priced at $1200 RT First. I have not checked recently but one of the main reasons could be lack of competition.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

It seems (for October travel, anyway) AA hasn't any published r/t fares in F cabin below $2200 on LAX-HNL-LAX.

HA and DL can be had for ~$1050.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Try Alaska; you'll still earn miles, etc. (1.5 vs 2.0 EQM, but price makes a difference to me.)
Thanks, good idea.

Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
No idea, but I purchased KOA-LAX mid April for an early November trip priced at $1200 RT First. I have not checked recently but one of the main reasons could be lack of competition.
That was the fare I usually always booked. Far out and for last-minute travel.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It seems (for October travel, anyway) AA hasn't any published r/t fares in F cabin below $2200 on LAX-HNL-LAX.

HA and DL can be had for ~$1050.
Exactly what I noticed ($2200+) for just about all months. Been flying these routes for many years and I'd usually find a similar range ($1100+/-) across all carriers.

Just really odd to have such a sudden drastic increase. Been booking these itineraries 3-4x a year (and pricing the routes just about daily) for the past decade or more and haven't seen anything like this. Thanks for the feedback. Aloha!

Last edited by MauiOC; Sep 10, 2016 at 12:46 pm
Old Sep 10, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I can't answer your question about fares, but can say that we are booked on a couple of returns LAX-HNL and LAX-OGG in months to come, and two of the four (In November) have F booked up and the other two (in February) only full fare left. In fact, one of my November flights had a timetable change and they put me on the LAX-OGG that was worst timed for me but could not change because the other one was already full in F too!
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Delta is priced about $500 lower on flights I've checked. Not just from Hawaii, but almost every route I purchase. For the time being, it's DL and AS for me.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Probably because demand is high. And they have 1/3 less seats than when 757's were flying these routes. And they are filling them up at $1k (take a look at expertflyer - F0's on so many of these flights it's quite surprising), so why not see if they can charge more? It may backfire since their competitors are not raising their fares.

With the 757's I was pretty much guaranteed a EXP upgrade on my trips to LIH. Now, not so much. Heck, try to even find a F MilesAAver award through end of schedule. Good luck.

At this point, for my next LIH trip, I'd rather give United the money and get a lie flat seat and WiFi for $1200 rather than pay AA twice that... The joys of becoming a free agent.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Probably because demand is high. And they have 1/3 less seats than when 757's were flying these routes. And they are filling them up at $1k (take a look at expertflyer - F0's on so many of these flights it's quite surprising), so why not see if they can charge more? It may backfire since their competitors are not raising their fares.

With the 757's I was pretty much guaranteed a EXP upgrade on my trips to LIH. Now, not so much. Heck, try to even find a F MilesAAver award through end of schedule. Good luck.

At this point, for my next LIH trip, I'd rather give United the money and get a lie flat seat and WiFi for $1200 rather than pay AA twice that... The joys of becoming a free agent.
I think that is where I'm heading. It used to make sense to keep it with AA on these routes as just my Hawaii travel alone got me to elite status. With that value diminishing, I'd rather consider my options.

Doubling the price would be an interesting test strategy to gauge overall F demand. Looking well ahead (glanced at late February-on), the seats are wide open at the the new fares. It's been well over a month since the new pricing has been in place. At first I thought it was just a fluke but seems to be sticking. Can't imagine anyone paying that for what you get. But I guess elementary supply v demand will ultimately dictate if it'll eventually come back down in price.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 3:06 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
AA has done something similar on the LAX- JFK route in J. On most flights the one way fare went from $599 to $999 or more. They are definitely trying to tell us something.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by mmgm
AA has done something similar on the LAX- JFK route in J. On most flights the one way fare went from $599 to $999 or more. They are definitely trying to tell us something.
...that now that their frequent flier program isn't particularly good and their operations are in the toilet, they think they can demand higher prices than the competition? Will be interesting to see how this goes for them.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 4:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As others note, if AA can't sell the seats at the fares it is publishing, it will drop them. People will then purchase them. But, AA's RM/IM folks are predicting that the seats will eventually sell at the higher prices and they've typically been correct more often than not.

So, we'll see.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Use Google Flights starting in KOA/HNL in business class in the explore destinations mode, and you'll get some good ideas. It looks like AA has fixed the price of flights to many US destinations into west/center/east bands of $2250, $2450, and $2650.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA, DL, TK
Do like the BA Tier Point runners and start in Europe...

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
Just booked this bad boy for £1298 for 1280 TPs

Code:

Zurich (ZRH) to Honolulu (HNL) — Wed, Dec 28
Long layoverOvernight flight

Zurich (ZRH) to London (LHR) — Wed, Dec 28
British Airways 719
Dep: 6:55 pm
Arr: 7:50 pm
1h 55m
Airbus A320
Business (J)
Meal
Layover in LHR
13h 10m

London (LHR) to Miami (MIA) — Thu, Dec 29
British Airways 207
Dep: 9:00 am
Arr: 1:50 pm
9h 50m
Boeing 747
Business (I)
Meal
Layover in MIA
3h 23m

Miami (MIA) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Thu, Dec 29
American Airlines Inc. 1428
Dep: 5:13 pm
Arr: 7:30 pm
5h 17m
Boeing 777
First (A)
DinnerMovieIn-seat Video Player
Layover in LAX
21h 30m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Honolulu (HNL) — Fri, Dec 30
American Airlines Inc. 297
Dep: 5:00 pm
Arr: 8:50 pm
5h 50m
Airbus A321 (Sharklets)
First (A)
Dinner
Honolulu (HNL) to Berlin (TXL) — Fri, Dec 30
Long layoverOvernight flight

Honolulu (HNL) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Fri, Dec 30
American Airlines Inc. 298
Dep: 10:36 pm
Arr: 5:54 am
5h 18m
Airbus A321 (Sharklets)
First (A)
Snack or Brunch
Layover in LAX
Sat, Dec 31
6h 51m

Los Angeles (LAX) to New York (JFK) — Sat, Dec 31
American Airlines Inc. 256
Dep: 12:45 pm
Arr: 9:15 pm
5h 30m
Airbus A321 (Sharklets)
First (A)
LunchIn-seat Video Player
Layover in JFK
22h 55m

New York (JFK) to London (LHR) — Sun, Jan 1
British Airways 116
Dep: 8:10 pm
Arr: 8:10 am
7h 0m
Boeing 747
Business (I)
Meal
Layover in LHR
Mon, Jan 2
2h 10m

London (LHR) to Helsinki (HEL) — Mon, Jan 2
British Airways 6032
Dep: 10:20 am
Arr: 3:15 pm
2h 55m
Airbus A350
Business (J)
Meal
OPERATED BY FINNAIR
Layover in HEL
1h 45m

Helsinki (HEL) to Berlin (TXL) — Mon, Jan 2
Finnair 917
Dep: 5:00 pm
Arr: 6:00 pm
2h 0m
Airbus A319
Business (I)
Meal

Last edited by Gerbs; Sep 10, 2016 at 6:44 pm Reason: emoji added since meant to be semi-serious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.