Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
been monitoring my flight a few times per day...
it is now J7R7D7I4W0Y0

27 empty seats on seatmap. will see how it plays out.

only 3 seats occupied on row 33-35 middle section (MCE).
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by A651346
Hi FT community,

I'm searching expert flyer for C space availability for AA193/192 flight and found that there is zero C space during the month of March, April, May. Last year was able to see a few C space availability so that I can confirm SWU during time of booking. Is this the "new norm" for SWU on this flight to be waitlisted and hope for the best?

On a side note, I'm an ExPlt and for those ExPlt that have cleared during waitlisted (at gate) what was the range of your EQDs? I asked because reading through the threads it appears the upgrade list can be north of 50 people so like to get an idea of what EQDs are typically needed for SWU to clear if at gate.

Thanks!
At least for this flight, the releasing of C space seems to be erratic. I booked this flight earlier this year, 4 months in advance. My outbound SWU cleared about a week after booking, and my return cleared about 2 weeks out. (I'm EXP). My wife flew this route a few days before Thanksgiving, using a miles upgrade (she's PltPro). Her outbound cleared immediately, but her return didn't clear until about 20 hours out - and that was with J less than half full.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Flying in a few days, still no C availability. EF shows F1A1J7R7.

I'm hoping that no more last-minute business travelers buy a ticket in the last 48 hours, and that there aren't more than 7 people ahead of me on the waitlist! I'm in PE if I don't clear, so not the end of the world, but hopefully I will clear. I'm waitlisted on my return flight a few weeks later as well.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
Like others, My outbound on DFW-HKG AA125 cleared about a week after booking and my return on HKG 126 HKG-DFW cleared about 24 hours out (this was last week).
Old Dec 2, 2018, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by dcfit
Flying in a few days, still no C availability. EF shows F1A1J7R7.

I'm hoping that no more last-minute business travelers buy a ticket in the last 48 hours, and that there aren't more than 7 people ahead of me on the waitlist! I'm in PE if I don't clear, so not the end of the world, but hopefully I will clear. I'm waitlisted on my return flight a few weeks later as well.
how many unassigned seats in the seatmap?
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbd456
how many unassigned seats in the seatmap?
8 in business.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
192 has a bunch of C space for after Xmas....The safest path to Asia is outgoing via TYO and incoming via HGK, which have the most C availability in advance.
I wish I had the courage to waitlist myself on 125/126, but I just cant risk it, lol...
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by dcfit

8 in business.
good luck.... i look at the map for every days and it varies significantly.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 11:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by AtomicLush
There were over 60 people on the upgrade list and only 6 cleared on my Tuesday, 11/27/2018 flight.
If this was the outbound LAX-HKG 193, I had a friend on this flight. There were 8 opups (free!) from PE to J.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:06 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
If this was the outbound LAX-HKG 193, I had a friend on this flight. There were 8 opups (free!) from PE to J.
Yes, it was. .... Seriously. Sigh!
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:07 am

They didn't op up exec plat?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by pbd456
They didn't op up exec plat?
Not sure who got the op-ups, but at least one EXP didn’t (my DH).
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:08 pm

While there are a few differences (most notably copay + miles vs SWU or opup), hate to +1 the same question, so feel free to flame and I'll run back to the newbie forum.

A few months back, reports were quite good luck on upgrades clearing:

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
These will be my 5th and 6th TPACs this year and I've cleared on miles/cash this year. Only time I didn't was when I was Gold.
Originally Posted by hiima
This route is very easy y to clear Y to J, even without status.
Whereas apparently it's tightened a bit in the last few weeks.

I'd be attempting miles + copay from Econ to J on 192 Sat Dec 8th. Anyhow, enough burying the lede, my question is whether in everyone's opinion it's always worth putting in for the upgrade or if there's a threshold where the odds just aren't that good? I'm not looking to give AA a $350 loan if the latter. I'm PLT, as this is a MR to make PP; on that note, everyone's talking Y or PE to J, this is frugal EQM to the extreme booked in O. If the current waitlist is a determining factor, will AA advise as to count ahead of me on calling in?

Originally Posted by anabolism
When you check EF, be sure to check the inventory for sale rather than the seat map. In particular, flights with discount business available, especially I inventory, but to some extent also D, are the most likely to have upgrades to business clear.
F3 A3 J5 R5 D4 I2 W0 P0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7 — Haven't seen any C inventory since booking it 3-4 weeks back, so that plus the low #s in D and I prompted the question. 24 seats in Biz shown on the map, though I'm a bit confused how that's relevant.

Thanks all in advance!

Last edited by Lasvegasgamer; Dec 4, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Lasvegasgamer
I'd be attempting miles + copay from Econ to J on 192 Sat Dec 8th. Anyhow, enough burying the lede, my question is whether in everyone's opinion it's always worth putting in for the upgrade or if there's a threshold where the odds just aren't that good? I'm not looking to give AA a $350 loan if the latter. I'm PLT, as this is a MR to make PP; on that note, everyone's talking Y or PE to J, this is frugal EQM to the extreme booked in O. If the current waitlist is a determining factor, will AA advise as to count ahead of me on calling in?

F3 A3 J5 R5 D4 I2 W0 P0 Y7 B0 H7 K7 M7 L7 G7 V7 S7 N7 Q7 O7 E7 — Haven't seen any C inventory since booking it 3-4 weeks back, so that plus the low #s in D and I prompted the question. 24 seats in Biz shown on the map, though I'm a bit confused how that's relevant.

Thanks all in advance!
Not sure what you mean by the first part, if you want the upgrade then you definitely need to call and get on the waitlist, even if the odds don't look good. AA only charges your credit card and pulls the miles if the upgrade clears. But they will not tell you your position or how many people are on the waitlist.

Saturday flights are always busy to and from Asia, especially as we get close to the holidays, so I don't think the fact that your flight is almost full in J and you haven't cleared yet says anything about the general ease or difficulty of clearing HKG-LAX.

Your flight is down to J5, meaning 5 seats left for sale in business, so the odds don't look great, but again I would for sure call and get on the waitlist. Anything can happen,
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Anything can happen,
This is true. I just flew the HKG-DFW flight on Dec. 4 and since it was so severely delayed, the entire UG list cleared at the gate (since anyone that could reroute, did reroute).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.