Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jeffeverde
I'm flying 193 tonight (8/30). It still shows the original 7:25a arrival.

Does 193 normally board at the Bradley terminal, or T4? Tonight's flight is boarding at T4, and I was wondering if the changed departure could be due to gate shuffling
It usually boards at T4.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jcatman
Gotcha. I'm trying the SWU route to get into J.
I'm flying LAX-HKG on a Thursday, and returning on a Sunday. The SWU on the return leg cleared 5 weeks out. The outbound cleared T-5d, with about 13 open seats remaining at that time.

I was surprised that the return upgrade cleared so far out -- I would think the Sunday return to LAX would be busy. But we're returnng the day before Labor day, so maybe that's shifted traffic to people returning on holiday on Monday.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Typhoon Mangkhut & AA193

Typhoon Mangkhut.

Looks like this is going to be the big one. I am flying AA193 LAX-HKG on 15 Sep arriving HKG am 16 Sep, by which time if the typhoon stays on its current course will mean that Signal 8 will be up when arriving, as according to friends at CX they expect Signal 10 in the afternoon of 16 Sep. CX have already zeroed out seats for all flights on 16 & 17/9.

My question is, does anyone know how AA will handle this in terms of flight status and re-booking? This will be my first experience of AA in a typhoon environment so want to be pro-active about alternative arrangements.

I did call the AA line but they are very busy dealing with Hurricane Florence and so did not want to waste their time when there are people with more urgent needs.

Nicc
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Typhoon Mangkhut.

Looks like this is going to be the big one. I am flying AA193 LAX-HKG on 15 Sep arriving HKG am 16 Sep, by which time if the typhoon stays on its current course will mean that Signal 8 will be up when arriving, as according to friends at CX they expect Signal 10 in the afternoon of 16 Sep. CX have already zeroed out seats for all flights on 16 & 17/9.

My question is, does anyone know how AA will handle this in terms of flight status and re-booking? This will be my first experience of AA in a typhoon environment so want to be pro-active about alternative arrangements.

I did call the AA line but they are very busy dealing with Hurricane Florence and so did not want to waste their time when there are people with more urgent needs.

Nicc
Should be the same as any other hurricane travel waiver. You'll have the ability to change your ticket to another date or probably any other location in north Asia that AA serves (PVG, PEK, etc.). Assuming the flight will eventually get cancelled, you can also just request a full refund and rebook on your own. You can check the current waiver for Florence to get an idea of what the terms are like, but AA is generally pretty flexible.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Should be the same as any other hurricane travel waiver. You'll have the ability to change your ticket to another date or probably any other location in north Asia that AA serves (PVG, PEK, etc.). Assuming the flight will eventually get cancelled, you can also just request a full refund and rebook on your own. You can check the current waiver for Florence to get an idea of what the terms are like, but AA is generally pretty flexible.
Thanks, that is what I thought, except that in my case (and I should have said) I am on my last leg heading home to HK. The problem of ending up in another centre in the region is the competition with everyone else wanting to get home as well!
Old Sep 13, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
Aa192 HKG/LAX delayed until September 14 1230pm

there was a faulty auxiliary power unit and the flight is delay d because of staff rest issues
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
flight times

I see all the postings about 193. We have a flight in Feb still scheduled for 11:55pm departure. Let me get this right, even with the 2am departure it is arriving around 735am? I ask because we may try to get a flight out of HKG on a different ticket at 8:45am. Is this crazy? Impossible with checked baggage. Possible with no checked bags? Dont know much about customs etc in HKG.

Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2018, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by JBauer
I see all the postings about 193. We have a flight in Feb still scheduled for 11:55pm departure. Let me get this right, even with the 2am departure it is arriving around 735am? I ask because we may try to get a flight out of HKG on a different ticket at 8:45am. Is this crazy? Impossible with checked baggage. Possible with no checked bags? Dont know much about customs etc in HKG.

Thanks
The HKG flights change departure times depending on the season and can also vary with daylight savings time (HKG doesn't observe DST while LAX/DFW do, so the time change will vary depending on the season). My understanding is the ~130am summer departures have been pushed back to ~2am due to frequent early arrivals.

A 70 min connection at HKG is easy as long as you have carry on only or are on a single ticket with baggage checked through (AA will not check bags through on separate tickets, so there is little to no chance of making the connection with baggage).
Old Sep 16, 2018, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by JJeffrey

A 70 min connection at HKG is easy as long as you have carry on only or are on a single ticket with baggage checked through.
Indeed it is, as long as the flight is on time or not delayed by more than maybe 15-20 minutes. You will need your onward boarding pass and if you can't get it online in advance, transit desks usually close a minimum of 60 minutes before departure. I've been burned twice where my arriving flight was 2+ hours late and I missed my onward flight, both times requiring me to buy new tickets at higher prices. So, buyer beware.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Agreed. Right now the MCT is 60 minutes. If your flight ends up violating the MCT as the times change, then you may not have much luck getting CX to help you if you misconnect.

I suggest either buying as one ticket to secure your connection or or maybe give yourself a little more time if you insist on two separate tickets.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Thanks
If you already have your onward boarding pass in your possession when you land, then connecting is easy -- you arrive "downstairs" (on the same level as immigration & customs, which are at the "end" of the long hallway). You just need to get "upstairs" back to the arrival area, which requires going through any of the several transit security checkpoints along the long hallway. If you don't have your onward boarding pass, then you have to get all the way to the transit desks, which are near immigration, which can require a long walk all the way down the long hallway, and that's where you can't miss the T-60 deadline.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Thanks
I don't think it would be a problem if you have your connecting ticket already (perhaps through OLCI), however, I wouldn't do it personally. I'd much prefer to go to the Pier F Lounge, take a shower (maybe a massage), grab some decent made-to-order breakfast, and then continue on to my next destination refreshed and ready to hit the "town" upon arrival of the second leg.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Any insight on what this notation means for tonight (9/19)'s AA192 HKG-LAX?

HKG 630P
LAX T4 43 500P
3HKG/ETD2015 LMD-LATE ARRV A/C DUE TO PRIOR MEDICAL RELATED DLYS *2217
7HKG/AUTO REACCOM DLY FLT COMPLETED SEE N*P1AA0192HKG19SEP *2221*CRCYMG
2LAX/PRE1845 *2217
AA.com is showing 6:30pm flight delayed until 8:15pm, but ExpertFlyer is showing a delay until 8:56 p.m.

I haven't seen "medical related delays" in EF before -- was there an incident on the inbound? (But I thought the inbound was already at HKG?)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
The inbound aircraft for this flight comes as AA125 from DFW, scheduled arrival at HKG around 4:00pm. It just landed at NRT, apparently due to a medical situation onboard.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by asf-07
The inbound aircraft for this flight comes as AA125 from DFW, scheduled arrival at HKG around 4:00pm. It just landed at NRT, apparently due to a medical situation onboard.
thanks! Looks like that plane is on the way from NRT so not much delay after all -- app updated to 7:30, a 60 minute delay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.