Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:38 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Mariott Gold, AMEX Plat, US CP
I guess we will see what happens as AA has cancelled all MIA flights for the weekend...
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
Good to know even though I probably won't fly that route anytime soon. Imagine you are spoiled by CX lounges and have to suffer AA club....probably better to wait until the FL is done?
So when I took this flight last week, I hung out in the Qantas First Lounge in TBIT as an EXP until 1230 or so (they stay open for late Qantas flights). Then I wandered over to T4 to check out the International First Lounge for 5-10 minutes, and by that time they were boarding.

Don't know if they have a CX Lounge at TBIT -- I thought they just shared the Qantas First Lounge, which is unquestionably much better than the AA option.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
So when I took this flight last week, I hung out in the Qantas First Lounge in TBIT as an EXP until 1230 or so (they stay open for late Qantas flights). Then I wandered over to T4 to check out the International First Lounge for 5-10 minutes, and by that time they were boarding.

Don't know if they have a CX Lounge at TBIT -- I thought they just shared the Qantas First Lounge, which is unquestionably much better than the AA option.
No CX does not. If I recall correctly, CX only has two lounges in NA, YVR and SFO. But if you go through HKG a lot, you know how CX F/J lounges feel - much better than AC at least (IMO better than FL in general).

Last edited by andersonCooper; Sep 6, 2017 at 2:52 pm Reason: Corrected info.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Yep, CX shares the Qantas lounge and they do close it down a little after midnight in my conversation with them and personal experience last week. Also, if they have flight delays they will keep it open later. Qantas or CX delays that is and info according to the lounge worker I was talking to.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Yep, CX shares the Qantas lounge and they do close it down a little after midnight in my conversation with them and personal experience last week. Also, if they have flight delays they will keep it open later. Qantas or CX delays that is and info according to the lounge worker I was talking to.
I was in both the Qantas First Lounge at TBIT and the Pier First Lounge at HKG. They're both excellent.

I'm assuming that between all the Qantas and CX flights all leaving around midnight, that there will be at least one delay fairly regularly that keeps the lounge open late.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 2:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

DP for those looking for upgrade chances:
Sep 6 Wed HKG-LAX: Miles + Cash Co-pay, upgraded immediately with request, as there was C7
Sep 18 Mon LAX-HKG: SWU, requested ~14 Sep, upgraded ~36 hrs out.
G-CIVC likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 11:04 pm

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Qantas First Class Lounge LAX access and Flagship C-in

Greetings - I'm an ExPlat flying HKG > LAX > ORD, in first class (paid business on HKG/LAX with SWU to F and paid F on LAX/ORD). I have two questions:

1) upon arrival in LAX, will I be able to access Flagship Checkin after clearing customs (if I need to reprint boarding pass, expedited security, etc)?

2) can I use the Qantas F Lounge in LAX between my flights? I'll be departing before the new AA Flagship Lounge is expected to open.

Thank you!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, AA Gold, HH Dia, PC Plat, ALL Sil, MR Gold
Originally Posted by BosTravel
Greetings - I'm an ExPlat flying HKG > LAX > ORD, in first class (paid business on HKG/LAX with SWU to F and paid F on LAX/ORD). I have two questions:

2) can I use the Qantas F Lounge in LAX between my flights? I'll be departing before the new AA Flagship Lounge is expected to open.
Yes -- it's a great lounge with excellent food and beverage options, as well as great showers.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BosTravel

1) upon arrival in LAX, will I be able to access Flagship Checkin after clearing customs (if I need to reprint boarding pass, expedited security, etc)?

Thank you!
1) Don't know if inbound connections count. Looking forward to hearing from someone who does!

2) Yes, and though I'm curious to see what the new Flagship Lounge will offer, I would think that the QF F will still offer better food options (and more champagne choices ) than the AA FS Lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
1) Don't know if inbound connections count. Looking forward to hearing from someone who does!
They do count, and it's a great lounge. The new TBIT Term 4 connector makes it extremely convenient when arriving at LAX. Use the TBIT connector security, turn right toward TBIT instead of left toward Term 4, and you're pretty much there at the Qantas F lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Catbert10
They do count, and it's a great lounge. The new TBIT Term 4 connector makes it extremely convenient when arriving at LAX. Use the TBIT connector security, turn right toward TBIT instead of left toward Term 4, and you're pretty much there at the Qantas F lounge.
Just to clarify I was talking about using the Flagship First Check-in after arriving from an Int'l segment, clearing immigration and customs and having to clear security again for the connecting flight. Not sure if that scenario qualifies for Int'l F arrivals or EXPs/OWEs with connecting flights..
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Just to clarify I was talking about using the Flagship First Check-in after arriving from an Int'l segment, clearing immigration and customs and having to clear security again for the connecting flight. Not sure if that scenario qualifies for Int'l F arrivals or EXPs/OWEs with connecting flights..
It does. Couple weeks back I flew AA HKG-LAX-BOS with a long layover in LAX. Landed into LAX, entered the US, went through security for my onward flight, went to the QF lounge to take a shower, then left T4/TBIT to go to dinner in Manhattan Beach, and then back to T4 for my onward connection a couple of hours later.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Data point: trip JFK-LAX-HKG (AA 193) and HKG-LAX (AA 192)-JFK
Was able to clear the upgrade on AA 193 from Y to J (using SWU as EXP) at booking time (trip is in 3 weeks).
Waitlist for the other segments.

Last edited by zip10001; Sep 18, 2017 at 10:50 am Reason: correct flight numbers
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by zip10001
Data point: trip JFK-LAX-HKG (AA 192) and HKG-LAX (AA 193)-JFK
Was able to clear the upgrade on AA 193 from Y to J (using SWU as EXP) at booking time (trip is in 3 weeks).
Waitlist for the other segments.
What day of the week?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:37 pm

AA 192 on Monday, September 18th is delayed until Tuesday morning September 19th at 7:40 AM. Will arrive at LAX at 6:10 AM Tuesday morning. Reason for delayed flight 125 from Dallas is a maintenance delay of approximately 9 + hours according to EF. All Cathay Pacific flight to LAX on Monday are J1. I have a friend on AA 192. Dallas flight 126 on Monday is also F0 and J0. This is this week's disaster for these flights.
zip10001 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.