Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:44 am

Hello! I will be traveling on AA193 LAX>HKG in October with a discounted economy ticket that I won at a company raffle. I plan to use 25k + copay to upgrade to business. How likely will this get cleared? Is it too early to call in to request to be wait listed or am I following a pipe dream? No status yet and will not for awhile as I just started my churning journey.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by mzsmiley
Hello! I will be traveling on AA193 LAX>HKG in October with a discounted economy ticket that I won at a company raffle. I plan to use 25k + copay to upgrade to business. How likely will this get cleared? Is it too early to call in to request to be wait listed or am I following a pipe dream? No status yet and will not for awhile as I just started my churning journey.
Never to early to wait list. I don't know about chances but I guess day of the week has some bearing.
mzsmiley likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The earlier you waitlist the more likely your upgrade is to clear, so don't wait to request it. BUT, I wouldn't hold your breath on it clearing either way.
mzsmiley likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by wrp96
The earlier you waitlist the more likely your upgrade is to clear, so don't wait to request it. BUT, I wouldn't hold your breath on it clearing either way.
Is it because it's a popular leg for business travelers with elite status?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
Never to early to wait list. I don't know about chances but I guess day of the week has some bearing.
It's a 12:55am early Wednesday flight.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Is it because it's a popular leg for business travelers with elite status?
Not really, but AA is pretty stingy with upgrades in general and will basically clear any and all elites before you, so you sit pretty low on the totem pole without any status.
mzsmiley likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
It's a 12:55am early Wednesday flight.
That’s about as good of a day as it can get for TPAC upgrade, good luck!
JJeffrey, teemuflyer and mzsmiley like this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 12:28 pm

Thanks for everyone's input! I'll call in to be waitlisted anyways and will report back when I get an update, or lack thereof.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
My partner called AA and requested Mileage Upgrade by his miles and copay for my seat a month ago.
The upgrade request looks cleared at 2 weeks until departure. Now my itinerary shows business class and I can pick my new seat in b/c.
However, it is not reissued yet and miles have not been deducted from my partner's account...
Upgrade status also says still "Requested". Is that normal???
Old Jul 26, 2019, 2:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold,MR Gold, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
My partner called AA and requested Mileage Upgrade by his miles and copay for my seat a month ago.
The upgrade request looks cleared at 2 weeks until departure. Now my itinerary shows business class and I can pick my new seat in b/c.
However, it is not reissued yet and miles have not been deducted from my partner's account...
Upgrade status also says still "Requested". Is that normal???
Yes, it is normal. You or your partner need to call AA and have the ticket re-issued now that the upgrade has cleared. When they do this they will pull the miles.
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Any updates regarding how the situation in HKG is affecting this flight to/from said destination.

I searched today and the flights were not canceled/delayed despite the situation there in HKG and the strike affecting the airport. I'll be booking my much delayed trip in within the next three weeks and hope things settle down by then. My trips have been postponed since June as things began to go south as my office was very near ground zero.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Any updates regarding how the situation in HKG is affecting this flight to/from said destination.

I searched today and the flights were not canceled/delayed despite the situation there in HKG and the strike affecting the airport. I'll be booking my much delayed trip in within the next three weeks and hope things settle down by then. My trips have been postponed since June as things began to go south as my office was very near ground zero.
I wouldn't bet on things settling down.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by caburrito
I wouldn't bet on things settling down.
Sigh in the same boat. Have a AA LAX-HKG connecting to CX to DAD. Sounds like more trouble brewing since the HK government seems to be MIA with no plans to resolve anything.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:19 pm

If you are only transiting HKG you should be fine as the protesters are forbidden behind the secured area. There were some protesters in the international arrivals area but they have since cleared out.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Another round of greeting arrivals has apparently been scheduled this Friday (8/09) in the arrival hall.

Protests will not affect connections, but a strike may, like this past Monday. CX canceled mainly short hauls. There are, however, no plans for any strike.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.