Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Next time may be next month... Just got the request yesterday for me to high tail it over to HKG so away I go!! Was tempted to try PE on CX too.. Nonstop out of SFO... Well, there was C space available (to my surprise so... It was a no brainer at that point!!
359? Upgrade on seats and IFE, but the soft products are the same (ISM greets, prioritized meal orders)

I am on the opposite side and want to try AA's LAX-HKG lol
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
359? Upgrade on seats and IFE, but the soft products are the same (ISM greets, prioritized meal orders)

I am on the opposite side and want to try AA's LAX-HKG lol
Seems like I made the right decision!!

The offer on CX's PE offer for would indeed have been a much more convenient nonstop service indeed. But finding an AA fare approx $300 less in Y with available space to immediately be confirmed into J. Why both with CX? I'd rather enjoy my self induced 3.5 hr layover in LA to relax at Q FL and AA FL prior to departing for HKG. Tryout the LAX-HKG route @andersonCooper!! I've had great service and an enjoyable flight each time.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:02 pm

Seems like I made the right decision!!

The offer on CX's PE offer for would indeed have been a much more convenient nonstop service indeed. But finding an AA fare approx $300 less in Y with available space to immediately be confirmed into J. Why both with CX? I'd rather enjoy my self induced 3.5 hr layover in LA to relax at Q FL and AA FL prior to departing for HKG. Tryout the LAX-HKG route @andersonCooper!! I've had great service and an enjoyable flight each time.
Regarding CX's PE price, usually ex-HKG is most expensive, so I usually match other Asian destinations (cut $300 - $500). I feel the fare differences between AA Y and CX PE from NYC can be way higher than $300.

Thing is I am in NY, and what's worse is the EWR side, so going to JFK isn't the best commute. CX EWR - HKG has the same 359 confi, and I find AA's EWR - DFW - HKG too exhausting even with SWU cleared both ways, not to mention the poor upgrade availability for DFW - HKG. I heard the upgrade chance for LAX - HKG is extremely good even for low EQD EXPs, but have never taken a chance yet.

With that, just for burning SWU (since I won't have enough personal TATL flights this year to burn), I will try to schedule a JFK - LAX - HKG later this year. Can't wait to go back to QF F!

Last edited by andersonCooper; Mar 5, 2018 at 7:46 pm
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:10 pm

Regarding CX's PE price, usually ex-HKG is most expensive, so I usually match other Asian destinations (cut $300 - $500). I feel the fare differences between AA Y and CX PE from NYC can be way higher than $300.

Thing is I am in NY, and what's worse is the EWR side, so going to JFK isn't the best commute. CX EWR - HKG has the same 359 confi, and I find AA's EWR - DFW - HKG too exhausting even with SWU cleared both ways, not to mention the poor upgrade availability for DFW - HKG. I heard the upgrade chance for LAX - HKG is extremely good even for low EQD EXPs, but have never taken a chance yet.

With that, just for burning SWU (since I won't have enough personal TATL flights this year to burn), I will try to schedule a JFK - LAX - HKG later this year. Can't wait to go back to QF F!

Understandable indeed! The madness/beauty for me as I'm SFO based but my employer in NYC metro area is that I have to travel to NYC to/from SFO often before/after my trip(s) to Asia (HKG in particular). Thus, for me to break it up for better work/life experiences, i tend to head to one destination then return home before heading to next target.

I'm expecting AA to target me "soon" as I get better deals to/from Asia than I do "to/from" NYC from SFO. Sure, the "hassle" of going to LAX is tolerable if I plan to fly on AA metal. Well worth it if my Y fare gets me into J (near-top dog status for upgrading) as apposed to just purchasing PE on CX for the nonstop out of SFO to Asia. From what I've read online reviews here on FT, one isn't to expect much more than service class fare paid with CX regardless of OW status.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:03 pm

Understandable indeed! The madness/beauty for me as I'm SFO based but my employer in NYC metro area is that I have to travel to NYC to/from SFO often before/after my trip(s) to Asia (HKG in particular). Thus, for me to break it up for better work/life experiences, i tend to head to one destination then return home before heading to next target.

I'm expecting AA to target me "soon" as I get better deals to/from Asia than I do "to/from" NYC from SFO. Sure, the "hassle" of going to LAX is tolerable if I plan to fly on AA metal. Well worth it if my Y fare gets me into J (near-top dog status for upgrading) as apposed to just purchasing PE on CX for the nonstop out of SFO to Asia. From what I've read online reviews here on FT, one isn't to expect much more than service class fare paid with CX regardless of OW status.
That definitely sounds like a job I would love to take as well

To be fair, I think CX still treats OWE pretty well - its soft products are still beyond AA's regardless of AC (359 is great on PE as well, gonna try J next month). Even for regional (HKG - TPE/SIN/HND), I got personal greetings from ISM; the load on my last JFK - YVR was so light, so the ISM greeted and asked for my meal orders before takeoff, but the only other pax asked her why he didn't get to order meal, which was a little awkward.

On BA, AA, I rarely received the same greetings (even for paid J/F). Small things but they add up.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 9:37 pm

That definitely sounds like a job I would love to take as well

To be fair, I think CX still treats OWE pretty well - its soft products are still beyond AA's regardless of AC (359 is great on PE as well, gonna try J next month). Even for regional (HKG - TPE/SIN/HND), I got personal greetings from ISM; the load on my last JFK - YVR was so light, so the ISM greeted and asked for my meal orders before takeoff, but the only other pax asked her why he didn't get to order meal, which was a little awkward.

On BA, AA, I rarely received the same greetings (even for paid J/F). Small things but they add up.

Thanks...

After this upcoming trip, I'm planning to explore being a "free agent" in the OW realm. I'm expecting to make EP with AA at the current rate I'm on, but just may have to explore other options as my travels are slowly becoming for intl routed outside the AA metal routes.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Flying AA192 on 3/27 with gold status.

Which seats would people recommend, 32A/C (row of two seats by the galley) or 21D/E (standard four seat row)?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by matthew_brown
Flying AA192 on 3/27 with gold status.

Which seats would people recommend, 32A/C (row of two seats by the galley) or 21D/E (standard four seat row)?
I was in 5J this past week and despite there came a point when passengers and crew clearly became aware that they were disruptive with their conversations, is still snag a seat near the galley. But be warned of course, at some people the awake folks will want to "talk" and will head to the galley.

Im on this flight nearly at a monthly rate so there are time when I've not been bothered when seated from 3-7 in J. But one of the crew members on this last flight said that the Y galley tends to be worst since there are more people in the rear looking for food and conversations.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: AA PPro
just flew both legs. don't like leaving at midnight as they push the food so fast, but I was already asleep. Interesting that is was 15 hours flying east but only 13 coming back... Trade winds. In BUS the wines going over were great "grechetto' from umbria as a wonderful white, but only 1 white wine in bus class coming back. Good staff. Happy to be in bus class with a SWU.... burned for the year but worth it.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Do EXP pay any airport charges (HKG) with SW upgrades ? The EXP agent just told me that I will be
paying @ $10 for this. Is this new ? Thanks in advance...
Old Mar 19, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by flyalways
Do EXP pay any airport charges (HKG) with SW upgrades ? The EXP agent just told me that I will be
Depending on a particular airport/country you are flying into or out of, there may be extra charges. For example, from CDG, there is a $50 luxury tax that AA is required to collect. Something similar for LHR, and perhaps into/out of HKG.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by flyalways
It's $20HKD more for the airport construction fees (from Economy to Premium Cabin). See below:

Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA
AA 192 HKG - LAX is Saturday or Sunday better for SWU

Currently booked on 192 from HKG - LAX on Saturday June 2nd with SWU wait listed (cleared on outbound on May 18 yay). I can change my flight to Sunday June 3rd and is basically cost neutral. Anyone have any data regarding SWU clearing on either Saturday or Sunday flights from Hong Kong. Would have thought Sunday would be harder, to arrive Sunday night for work Monday... but could be very wrong? EF data doesn't seem very helpful in predicting availability...
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
my upgrade just clear on Nov 17 - sat. lax hkg
Old Apr 20, 2018, 4:32 am

Currently booked LAX-HKG next Tuesday (May 24th). Anyone joining me? Lots of J seat are unclaimed as well as MCS too.

Hope to to have a chance to meet and greet a fellow FT member during the layover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.