Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hengilas
I wish QF F lounge would patrol the screaming kids at night a little better. It can definitely get out of hand.
I don't blame the lounge. I blame the parents, who are not being parents.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Antarius
How easy are upgrades on this route (anyone with recent experience).

Eyeing LAX-HKG on Jan 24 and back Jan 29 . Both show C0 and J7. Any thoughts?
I cleared using miles (same fare bucket as SWU) back in November. The return wasn't available, but when I checked-in at HKG they were offering a paid upgrade for the return.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by skunker
I cleared using miles (same fare bucket as SWU) back in November. The return wasn't available, but when I checked-in at HKG they were offering a paid upgrade for the return.
And did you more forward with taking the offer or were you ultimate upgraded anyway. Doesn’t seem “fair” if they offer paid upgrades to elites if the upgrade is a perk for being an elite.

Last edited by Zacnlinc; Jan 16, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc

And did you more forward with taking the offer or were you ultimate upgraded anyway. Doesn’t seem “fair” if they offer paid upgrades to elites if the upgrade is a perk for being an elite.
Free upgrades to business on long-haul international flights isn't a perk for being an elite. I wasn't on the upgrade waitlist and had no intention of upgrading the return as I had seat 16C and 16B was empty. I declined the upgrade and continued the check-in process. The upgrade was $750 (or maybe $775). This was all done via the iPhone app roughly 10 minutes after landing in HKG, so about 12 hours before the flight.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by hiima
flagship dining is pretty good, but flagship lounge is garbage compared to QF F.
I was in both last week. They're different but the QF F lounge isn't hugely better. The FL lounge has decent food -- buffet style and an open bar. The QF found has decent food that you order from the menu and a staffed bar. It definitely has a better coffee machine although I'm usually drinking champagne
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I have to say chances are good if you waitlist for this route,C doesn't stay above 0, but my upgrades cleared weeks in advance.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:33 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by hiima
I have to say chances are good if you waitlist for this route,C doesn't stay above 0, but my upgrades cleared weeks in advance.
Agreed. Same here.

This is is the route I use my SWUs on and miles+copay on.

I have flown this route 3 times on a cheap Y fare and have yet to fly in a coach seat.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Flying this route later in the month, and it's looking like an upgrade disaster! J is full more than two weeks out, and First is sitting at F1. Very happy to have a seat in the MCE min-cabin, because it's going to be a long flight...

At least AA seems to be selling seats on this flight in the forward cabins. I've been worried about this flight sticking around.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:53 am

Programs: LH HON
Upgrade list only four people on 192 today. Never seen that before - usually it's 40+. Midweek seems to be good for upgrades.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:27 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
I am doing a MR on Jan 28 on Flight 192 (HKG/LAX) to use up my SWU. I am booked now in business class. Crossing fingers that I clear for first class. Will post after my flight if I clear or not.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; AA EXP / 2MM Lifetime Platnum; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by naswi
I am doing a MR on Jan 28 on Flight 192 (HKG/LAX) to use up my SWU. I am booked now in business class. Crossing fingers that I clear for first class. Will post after my flight if I clear or not.
I think the upgrade to F on this route shouldn't be too hard. The wife and I have been 6/6 this past year for the J to F upgrade.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:34 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond; AA EXP / 2MM Lifetime Platnum; Hyatt Diamond
deleted - wrong thread
Old Jan 18, 2018, 10:59 pm

Flying LAX-HKG next week Jan 24-29. Hoped to clear with SWU but LAX-HKG looks wildly full in J on EF, just showing 1 seat availability in J. Is this unusual for midweek - when I booked two weeks ago the cabin was nearly half empty.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by jakekenn13
Flying LAX-HKG next week Jan 24-29. Hoped to clear with SWU but LAX-HKG looks wildly full in J on EF, just showing 1 seat availability in J. Is this unusual for midweek - when I booked two weeks ago the cabin was nearly half empty.
Lunar new year is around the corner. That could it.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, UA, AA ExPlat, AS, HHonors Diamond, Avis Preferred, Marriott, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by naswi
Just got my SWU cleared today. Yeah!!! There were 6 open seats for me to pick from.
ESpen36 and Zacnlinc like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.