Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Yikes!
Hope everyone got to where they needed to be quickly.
I've flown 192/193 a few times now in J and I have to say that, each time, I am more and more impressed.
Sure, there isn't the refined service you get on CX, but for the price, this flight is hard to beat. Same with HKG-DFW, which I just flew for the first time last week...food was restaurant quality, which shocked me (it hasn't been bad to/from LAX, but I wouldn't say it blew me away). Still wish they'd upgrade their wines and champagne but really am enjoying my trans-Pac flights on the AA 777-300. And after NRT-ORD in October on the 787, I'll definitely be routing exclusively through HKG to hop on those 777s...
Old Dec 27, 2017, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Flying LAX to HKG in F (upgraded from J with a systemwide) in about a week's time. Couple of questions:

1. The option to select my meal is not showing-up on-line. Normal?

2. What champagne are they serving in F these days?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Flying LAX to HKG in F (upgraded from J with a systemwide) in about a week's time. Couple of questions:

1. The option to select my meal is not showing-up on-line. Normal?
Same for my flight in J in late January - there were some reports in the LAX catering issues thread about preordering still not working on some flights, not sure if that could be the reason...
Old Dec 31, 2017, 10:10 am

Flying out of LAX on 193 this Tuesday and no option to pre-order meal when I look at the reservation.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:44 pm

It seems like they are doing some sort of maintenance on the airplane for 193 on Sat, 1/13 since I am not able to see the seat map at the moment on AA.com. I tried looking at ExpertFlyer as well and was not able to view the seat map. Hopefully this issue gets resolved soon since I cannot see how many seats are available in J.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I flew on this route just before Xmas. No pre-orders on LAX-HKG given catering issues. AA is currently substituting QF catering (served on AA china) and I thought it was pretty good. There is a standard printed menu with the offerings, unlike previous reports that said it was a photocopy. On the return, HKG-LAX, it is normal catering and pre-orders are available as usual.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I flew on this route just before Xmas. No pre-orders on LAX-HKG given catering issues. AA is currently substituting QF catering (served on AA china) and I thought it was pretty good. There is a standard printed menu with the offerings, unlike previous reports that said it was a photocopy. On the return, HKG-LAX, it is normal catering and pre-orders are available as usual.
Thanks for the info! ^
ESpen36 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Just getting marching orders that it's most likely that I'm going back to HKG sooner than expected as early as next week.

Only "bad" thing I recall from my trips last month for LAX-HKG-LAX flights was that the J staff were much more busier crushing ice during boarding (seated in J) then they rushed the PDB service before we departed. I recall boarding both legs of the flights and the FA were busy chipping away at ice for some reason. I almost fell asleep before departures before we were push-backed before PDB service began.

Will be interesting to see if my January flights are the same as I'm now expecting to be on the SFO-LAX-HKG-LAX-SFO route for a few moths in 2018.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Just getting marching orders that it's most likely that I'm going back to HKG sooner than expected as early as next week.

Only "bad" thing I recall from my trips last month for LAX-HKG-LAX flights was that the J staff were much more busier crushing ice during boarding (seated in J) then they rushed the PDB service before we departed. I recall boarding both legs of the flights and the FA were busy chipping away at ice for some reason. I almost fell asleep before departures before we were push-backed before PDB service began.

Will be interesting to see if my January flights are the same as I'm now expecting to be on the SFO-LAX-HKG-LAX-SFO route for a few moths in 2018.
Roughing it, I see
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Roughing it, I see
Ha! When I grow up, I wanna be just like you! CX F always! Until then I'll rough it with AA to Asia again this month. LOL

See you in LA and/or HKG again? Oh do tell!

Prends soin de toi mon ami.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc

Ha! When I grow up, I wanna be just like you! CX F always! Until then I'll rough it with AA to Asia again this month. LOL

See you in LA and/or HKG again? Oh do tell!

Prends soin de toi mon ami.
I'll be in LAX again this coming Wednesday, but heading to LHR instead. I'll keep you posted on any future HKG trips, but you keep everyone posted on the 193/192 flights. Need to know what's going on!

You take care too, my friend!
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:48 pm

Just flew AA193 yesterday...3J was a great seat, as usual.
Still very happy with the seat, overall, in terms of privacy and comfort and storage, and the new mattress pad, duvet, and pillow are great.
However...the new Casper pajamas are TERRIBLE - they do not breathe at all and are scratchy. Bring the old ones back!
The catering out of LAX was terrible. We got no menus, and the flights attendants came around asking, "Beef, fish, chicken, or veggie?" without any idea of preparation, sides, etc.., - clearly, they are still struggling to figure things out at LAX on this front. The purser I spoke with was great during the whole flight (he seemed to be working the J mini-cabin and did a great job calming down one woman sitting next to me who simply was not happy about the catering issue...she demanded a first class meal and the purser went out of his way to make her happy) and I shared my support as I know they are frustrated by this issue, too. One good point of the catering was the breakfast: veggie and cheese frittata.
Lanson champagne continues to be "meh" overall.
My connection in HKG to BKK was on a CX A350...all I can say about that is WOW.
Purser encouraged me to write to AA about the issues...he asked if I was emailed ahead of time about the catering SNAFU I might experience as he understood that management would be emailing all ticketed, paid J and F customers about it - when I told him I had not been emailed, he told me to ask for some kind of compensation. I am not sure I'll do that (first world problem...) but considering this was a $4,000 r/t ticket, it was a disappointing experience.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ralph4878
Purser encouraged me to write to AA about the issues...he asked if I was emailed ahead of time about the catering SNAFU I might experience as he understood that management would be emailing all ticketed, paid J and F customers about it - when I told him I had not been emailed, he told me to ask for some kind of compensation. I am not sure I'll do that (first world problem...) but considering this was a $4,000 r/t ticket, it was a disappointing experience.
Many FA's I have spoken with, lately, said current AA management definitely wants to hear from customers regarding the in-flight experience.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jcatman
Many FA's I have spoken with, lately, said current AA management definitely wants to hear from customers regarding the in-flight experience.
I sent a complaint, primarily to support the FAs...will circle back with AA's reply when received...
Old Jan 6, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
192 delayed 14 hrs. What's going on?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.