Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
1) Don't know if inbound connections count. Looking forward to hearing from someone who does!

2) Yes, and though I'm curious to see what the new Flagship Lounge will offer, I would think that the QF F will still offer better food options (and more champagne choices ) than the AA FS Lounge.
if the LAX flagship lounge is anything like JFK you will definitely prefer the Qantas lounge. Even with flagshipnforst dinin. I wouldn't be surprised if Qantas were significantly better.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 7:06 am

Another data point on SWU clearing. 8/28 booked flight on 193 for 12/26. Setup my alerts on Expertflyer. On 8/30 saw that a C1 became available and immediately called in and had my girlfriend (who is gold) upgraded. On 9/10 my upgrade automatically cleared. Very pleased. We booked our flights a little earlier this year. Last year we flew on 193 on 12/27 and didn't book our flights until late October and had only 1 upgrade clear at the gate. Now hoping our upgrades clear for our return flight from HND to LAX.

Last edited by alluu; Sep 19, 2017 at 7:49 am
Old Sep 20, 2017, 1:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I don't fly AA a whole lot (<10 flights lifetime, so far), but am definitely starting to see the aforementioned service inconsistencies. On my LAX-HKG flight, before the doors closed, I noticed that I wasn't given blanket/pillow. I had to flag down two FAs to get that rectified. I still wound up without a mattress pad.

As meal service rolled around, the FA insisted that I had preordered the Beef Wellington (no, I didn't - I pre-ordered the Beef Short Rib - it was excellent). Dessert service was an undressed ice cream. As soon as she put it down, she realized that it wasn't complete, and went back to finish adding stuff to the sundae. Breakfast service was equally mind-boggling. I ordered the Continental Breakfast, which according to the menu, consisted of fruit, yoghurt, and granola. For some reason or other, she gave me the American Breakfast with eggs/bacon/the works, and insisted that was what I ordered. I simply asked her for "the other option".

In the grand scheme of things, these minor incidents don't matter. After all, all I want from a trans-Pacific flight is a nice flat bed. But I wouldn't be booking AA for its service.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
I checked the AA app for my upcoming JFK-LAX-HKG round trip, I had requested SWUs on both ways. The HKG-LAX had cleared at booking.

I noticed on the AA app that the LAX-HKG leg was not longer listed as Upgrade 'Requested'.
It does not show as 'Confirmed' either.

However, I logged onto AA website, for the AA 193 LAX-HKG, my seat in Y no longer appeared but I was able to select a J seat.

Any idea?

Last edited by zip10001; Sep 22, 2017 at 9:48 am Reason: img
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It takes a while for them to process the upgrade. But you are good - you got your J upgrade.
zip10001 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Had my worst AA in-flight experience on yesterday's LAX-HKG. Flight attendants in J did the bare minimum (e.g., only one re-fill offer), no pleasantries, made tons of noise in the galley (why do they open/close/move the carts so much throughout the flight?!). Food was also disappointing, very small portions and half of my short rib was fat. Pillow was smaller and had a papery (disposable) case. No wine menu and galley was already dirty at boarding.

What was funny is an agent came by at the end of the flight and said it had been a pleasure to serve me! I had only seen her once.

After all the racket in the galley, I don't think I'll sit in row 3 (my preferred row) again, and instead will pick seats towards the middle of the second J cabin.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Had my worst AA in-flight experience on yesterday's LAX-HKG. Flight attendants in J did the bare minimum (e.g., only one re-fill offer),
I get that .... my recent trip reminded me of the JFK-LHR routes before the retirement incentives. No menu in my seat, no service after mealtime unless I went up front. LAX-HKG is such a sweet route for an FA and one of AA's most high profile route with many Asian passengers used to a higher level of service.

Then again, after flying QR from LAX-DOH in J .... I'm a little spoiled. However, I don't think the service was that bad from LAX-LHR in J in the Spring. On the other hand, the timing of that flight is that its dinner, sleep, and breakfast so maybe I noticed it less.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Very randomly was looking at EF and noticed AA put an additional LAX-HKG flight on Nov 5th as AA398.... only see it flying on that day.. Charter flight? Ferry flight? Or testing 2nd daily flight?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tfung
Very randomly was looking at EF and noticed AA put an additional LAX-HKG flight on Nov 5th as AA398.... only see it flying on that day.. Charter flight? Ferry flight? Or testing 2nd daily flight?
None of those, has to do with flight time change, they use the other flight number to avoid confusion on the changeover day (they use it on Oct 28 as well, same reason) :

tfung, G-CIVC and econometrics like this.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, AC, DL Plat, Amtrk SE, AmEx Plat, Bonvoy Plat (via SPG), HH Gold, Accor Plat, WOH Dis
Coach Meals in First & Business

This is truly a first for me as AA goes for great.

I'm on flight AA 193 tonight (02-Nov / evening of 01-Nov) in F. I just received a call from AA saying that due to a catering issue they will be serving coach meals in First and Business. I thought my friends were pranking me for a minute.

I have to say I'm shocked. They did offer to move me to another flight (that got in 12 hours later), and I suppose I'd rather this than a cancellation. But, I can't believe the "largest airline in the world" can allow something like this to happen and doesn't have any redundancy in place prevent this.

I asked about compensation and she said that would have to come through customer service.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by BosTravel

I'm on flight AA 193 tonight (02-Nov / evening of 01-Nov) in F. I just received a call from AA saying that due to a catering issue they will be serving coach meals in First and Business. I thought my friends were pranking me for a minute.

I have to say I'm shocked. They did offer to move me to another flight (that got in 12 hours later), and I suppose I'd rather this than a cancellation. But, I can't believe the "largest airline in the world" can allow something like this to happen and doesn't have any redundancy in place prevent this.

I asked about compensation and she said that would have to come through customer service.
At least they call you ahead of time and offer alternatives. It could be worse after you take off and FA tell you about this. Not ideal, but things like these happen.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
But, I can't believe the "largest airline in the world" can allow something like this to happen and doesn't have any redundancy in place prevent this.
Maybe you can have them Uber some Snap Kitchen pre-made meals to the airport for you, then they can use their ovens to heat them up during the flight? Is there Snap Kitchen in LAX, as there are all over DFW?

I've read the poor catering stories ex-LAX in recent months. I guess this is another example.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:36 am

Programs: AA EP
Yep. Listeria breakout or something at Gate Gormet.

Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver

I'm impressed that they actually called.

Were they offering to switch you to CX F? If so, I'd do that in a heartbeat.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Yep. Listeria breakout or something at Gate Gormet.
Yup.. https://www.thestreet.com/story/1437...rnational.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.