Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by roder
Definitely watch EF like a hawk for C, especially around 26 hours out.
I have an alert set up but will likely check it on a regular basis starting at that point. It looks like J has about 25 open seats here at seven days out, will keep my fingers crossed.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I also did this over President's Day, and cleared both ways T>24 hrs, but I did not get any ExpertFlyer C alerts. Also some EP were clearing at the gates, there was some kerfluffle between EPs about upgrade priority on the return, though I think the no-upgrade in question was a companion. I think that that flight was still selling >20 a week out; agent on the phone mentioned it offhand when I checked to see that I was on the waitlist.

I was able to check in early at my hotel and take a shower and nap prior to spending the day out and about well into evening- slept quite a bit in the middle of the flight. Reset my clock so completely that I had trouble for a week coming home.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:06 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Anyone know what happened to AA 192? It has been delayed 14 hours.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fanger
I also did this over President's Day, and cleared both ways T>24 hrs, but I did not get any ExpertFlyer C alerts. Also some EP were clearing at the gates, there was some kerfluffle between EPs about upgrade priority on the return, though I think the no-upgrade in question was a companion. I think that that flight was still selling >20 a week out; agent on the phone mentioned it offhand when I checked to see that I was on the waitlist.
Hah, I wasn't at the gate, but the folks involved in this were seated directly behind me and he told me what happened. Long story short, the EP that was upgraded had an IRROPS situation on the outbound, when AA re ticketed they lost his timestamp. The EXP desk notated the record as such as the GA cleared the list out of order to accommodate, causing another PAX's wife to miss her upgrade. This caused her husband, who did clear, to become irate.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Originally Posted by 77W_12A
Anyone know what happened to AA 192? It has been delayed 14 hours.
Incoming AA125 went tech

You don't do this flight anyway!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Hah, I wasn't at the gate, but the folks involved in this were seated directly behind me and he told me what happened. Long story short, the EP that was upgraded had an IRROPS situation on the outbound, when AA re ticketed they lost his timestamp. The EXP desk notated the record as such as the GA cleared the list out of order to accommodate, causing another PAX's wife to miss her upgrade. This caused her husband, who did clear, to become irate.
Thanks for the color on that. Was curious, not enough to ask.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by fanger
Thanks for the color on that. Was curious, not enough to ask.
Yea. I didn't ask either the guy just shared as he recognized me from the outbound. I have empathy for both in that situation.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:17 am

Programs: AA
I flew over President's Day weekend and flights in both directions were on time. Anecdotal, but it does seem like the situation has dramatically improved.

Yes and yes. They seem to clear all but about 6 seats in the 20-48 hour window. The remainder are saved for the gate. Definitely watch EF like a hawk for C, especially around 26 hours out.
So are they only clearing for EXPs using SWU? What about if I, an EXP, try to use a SWU for someone else with no status? What's the chance? Thx
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dwojo
So are they only clearing for EXPs using SWU? What about if I, an EXP, try to use a SWU for someone else with no status? What's the chance? Thx
With no status, they'd be toward the bottom of the list.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: Alaska MPVG75, AAdvantage PlatPro, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I thought SWU was prioritized over miles + copay, so no status with SWU would be behind all the EXPs who have SWUs but ahead of any Plats using miles + copay. Does anyone know if that's correct?
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
I thought SWU was prioritized over miles + copay, so no status with SWU would be behind all the EXPs who have SWUs but ahead of any Plats using miles + copay. Does anyone know if that's correct?
Not even close.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Not even close.
So can you explain what the priorities are or point me to something that will explain? I would appreciate it.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 25milesfromhome
So can you explain what the priorities are or point me to something that will explain? I would appreciate it.
At this point, with all five statuses carrying their own numbers, it's a simple matter of status ranking- and no preference between SWU vs miles.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
At this point, with all five statuses carrying their own numbers, it's a simple matter of status ranking- and no preference between SWU vs miles.
Thanks.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Simple answer: Status is the most important, then within each status it's date of upgrade request. Until 24 hours before flight, SWUs and miles are processed before any complimentary or 500 mile upgrades (applies to domestic and select short int'l flights), but starting 24 hours before flight, the SWU/miles and comp/500 mile lists are merged and the type of upgrade instrument makes no difference. So, an EXPLAT that booked a cheap ticket 300 days out will have priority over an EXPLAT that wants to use a SWU and paid a higher fare 299 days out. This makes a big difference on domestic flights, including those connecting to long-haul flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.