Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Old Jan 9, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Just curious since I haven't used a SWU for a couple months now but when did HKG start charging 180 HKD as part of using a SWU? I called to be waitlisted on an upcoming 193 flight and the AA EXP desk rep said they needed a CC on file to pay for the 180 HKD tax that HKG airport is imposing if I get confirmed. I mean its not too much but still kinda sucks that I have to cough up more money to upgrade on a SWU.
Originally Posted by ckx2
It's HKIA charging an airport construction fee.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...s/pr_1214.html
Surely, the fee should only be 20 HKD?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: LH HON
HKD 180 for first/business class pax as stated on the website.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
HKD 180 for first/business class pax as stated on the website.
160hkd already charged to economy pax. Additional charge should be only 20hkd
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: LH HON
Unfortunately HKIA is charging per ticket issue. If you upgrade your ticket, they cash in twice. I've had a dispute about this with CX - didn't work out.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jay_dubya
160hkd already charged to economy pax. Additional charge should be only 20hkd
Let's just be happy they haven't gone all UK on all of us!

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...passenger-duty2.1 APD rates from 1 April 2018

Destination Bands and distance from London (miles)Reduced rate: (for travel in the lowest class of travel available on the aircraft)
Standard rate: (for travel in any other class of travel)
Higher rate: (for travel in aircraft of 20 tonnes or more equipped to carry fewer than 19 passengers)

Band A (0 to 2,000 miles) 13 26 78
and B (over 2,000 miles) 78 156 468
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
It's like $20. Chill.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by teemuflyer

Perhaps to mitigate any potential Visa issues in mainland China incase there was a extended delay that required overnighting?
Good point as it would be a major problem for some of us if we landed in China and needed to go through immigration.

Wonder how that is handled since potential diversions in many places could lead to immigration issues for someone on a plane.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but can anyone give me an idea of the meal timings on this flight (in Economy )? I'm never quite sure what to expect on late night departures like LAX-HKG
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:05 pm

It's HKIA charging an airport construction fee.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...s/pr_1214.html
This press release was since Aug 2016. Strange thing is that I probably used several SWUs on 193 in 2017 and I have never paid an additional 180 HKD fee. Also when you buy your ticket from economy class, shouldn't the "Taxes and Fees" we pay to AA already include 160 HKD already. So if anything shouldn't we only be paying 20 HKD difference to upgrade to business?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by TheSpruceMoose
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but can anyone give me an idea of the meal timings on this flight (in Economy )? I'm never quite sure what to expect on late night departures like LAX-HKG
Meal service should start within the hour or so from departure. Breakfast will be a couple of hours before landing..

If you are an AA PLT (per your profile), I would suggest trying out either the AA Flagship Lounge in T4 or the OW Business Lounge in TBIT for dinner (or both, you're allowed ;-))
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
How easy are upgrades on this route (anyone with recent experience).

Eyeing LAX-HKG on Jan 24 and back Jan 29 . Both show C0 and J7. Any thoughts?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius

I've never failed to get upgraded on this route, but being that it is the last hurrah for this past years SWUs, there might be some additional "competition". I'd look at the assigned MCE seats to se what is likely to be EXP competitiors for those potential UGs.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I've never failed to get upgraded on this route, but being that it is the last hurrah for this past years SWUs, there might be some additional "competition". I'd look at the assigned MCE seats to se what is likely to be EXP competitiors for those potential UGs.
Thats why I am eyeing it.. my last hurrah on those SWUs too. haha. MCE is still half full (ish)

From what I have read the LAX-HKG route is better than the DFW one.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
Meal service should start within the hour or so from departure. Breakfast will be a couple of hours before landing..

If you are an AA PLT (per your profile), I would suggest trying out either the AA Flagship Lounge in T4 or the OW Business Lounge in TBIT for dinner (or both, you're allowed ;-))
Thanks! And yes, I do plan on checking out the Flagship Lounge ^
Old Jan 9, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Antarius

My upgrade just recently got confirmed. My flight is 1/22-24 for mr and applied SWU a week or so ago

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.