Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:07 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by no1cub17
wow that's crazy... winds?
Could be...on the 3rd, the headwinds we were flying in to were at about 160mph, according to the captain...was surprisingly a smooth ride, for the most part, but when we changed altitude periodically, boy could you feel it.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Good to hear. Did they cover a night's accommodation in ICN as well?
I wasn't on the DFW-HKG leg.

Just got off the delayed 192 ride. It was quite bumpy for a few stretches. I requested an upgrade but it didn't clear. I really enjoyed the mini MCE cabin though! It was quiet there
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: AA EP
Yes. It ran out fuel. Bone dry. Had to ditch the 77w. Many lives lost.

Jeaua. Do u know anything about how planes operate? Or even about planned diversions. Or about picking a diversion city? About “last call” when deciding on a fuel stop?

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
Hearing it ran out of fuel....
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Yes. It ran out fuel. Bone dry. Had to ditch the 77w. Many lives lost.

Jeaua. Do u know anything about how planes operate? Or even about planned diversions. Or about picking a diversion city? About “last call” when deciding on a fuel stop?

Apologies pal. ^
rufflesinc likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier

Jeaua.
I'm using this from now on instead of Jesus

Last edited by Hengilas; Jan 7, 2018 at 7:00 pm
Old Jan 7, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum
Just curious how well did AA take care of passengers? I assume covered hotel for the evening?
I didn't wait around, very poor communication on ground from AA in HKG. Basically non-existent.. I was supposed to be on this flight with end destination to SFO. Had applied a SWU to my coach ticket which didn't appear like it was going to clear. EXP desk said fare could be refunded since flight delay was greater than 2 hours. Found a business class ticket on China Airlines (HKG -> TPE -> SFO) for $2200 and grabbed it as it was only about $400 more than my Y ticket on AA. Got home 3 hours earlier than if 192 had taken off in time. BTW, China Airlines service and cabin was amazing. Have flown AA all the time on this route and the service from DFW to HKG was abysmal on the way over. I primarily took AA because of EXP status and wifi inflight, but CI had great service and WiFi.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by bd3500
I didn't wait around, very poor communication on ground from AA in HKG. Basically non-existent.. I was supposed to be on this flight with end destination to SFO. Had applied a SWU to my coach ticket which didn't appear like it was going to clear. EXP desk said fare could be refunded since flight delay was greater than 2 hours. Found a business class ticket on China Airlines (HKG -> TPE -> SFO) for $2200 and grabbed it as it was only about $400 more than my Y ticket on AA. Got home 3 hours earlier than if 192 had taken off in time. BTW, China Airlines service and cabin was amazing. Have flown AA all the time on this route and the service from DFW to HKG was abysmal on the way over. I primarily took AA because of EXP status and wifi inflight, but CI had great service and WiFi.
Did you have to transfer in TPE, and did you get to fly on the A350? China Airlines' new A350 cabin looks absolutely amazing in the YouTube videos I've seen.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bd3500
EXP desk said fare could be refunded since flight delay was greater than 2 hours.
Can I get the fare refunded even if I take the flight the next day?
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum
I did connect in TPE. Bit of some hoops to jump through to get bags transferred over since i only had an hour and a half, but China Airlines handles it so well. A CI supervisor came on board literally two minutes before door closed to tell me bags were recovered from AA 192 (as they showed loaded on plane) and loaded on the plane.
Flight was a 77W, cabin was super nice.

It’s also weird it was a diversion issue with AA, as 192 plane, from my understanding, was in HKG with my bags loaded. Maybe a crew issue?

Re: refund if you flew, I’m not sure what the situation is with that. There may be something but desk told me leg was refundable if I didn’t take the flight.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 2:12 am

Programs: ex-UA 1K, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ralph4878
However...the new Casper pajamas are TERRIBLE - they do not breathe at all and are scratchy. Bring the old ones back!
The catering out of LAX was terrible. We got no menus, and the flights attendants came around asking, "Beef, fish, chicken, or veggie?" without any idea of preparation, sides, etc.., - clearly, they are still struggling to figure things out at LAX on this front.
The old pajamas were definitely softer and more comfortable. Sizing is a bit different too. The new ones seem to be a bit smaller than the previous sizes.

I personally find the J catering from HKG to LAX to be absolutely terrible. Only good thing is the ice cream sundae.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by triplefives
The old pajamas were definitely softer and more comfortable. Sizing is a bit different too. The new ones seem to be a bit smaller than the previous sizes.

I personally find the J catering from HKG to LAX to be absolutely terrible. Only good thing is the ice cream sundae.
Its funny you mention the ice cream sundae because its so darn good.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by triplefives

The F catering I had yesterday on AA 192 was fine, though I loaded up in Pier F so I couldn't finish dinner (but the sundae was fine). I had duck confit. (The one thing a bit off is that the salads could use more non-salad stuff in it; walnuts, cheese, something.)

Our purser, Kurt, was awesome and I made sure to send positive feedback on him. I liked the pajamas and bedding. I do get the point about AA F not being a huge jump up from AA J on a 77W, but all told, getting meals in Pier F (great rack of lamb) and LAX Flagship Dining (excellent NY strip) made it a great 24 hour travel day, even though there was pretty consistent light to heavy chop that made sleeping very difficult.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 7:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Broken jet bridge at LAX gate 43 and we’re still stuck on the plane for over an hour now. They’re moving us to gate 41 but still no movement yet. I suppose time to complain and get something extra. Already landed an hour late and now an hour delay because of a dadgum jetbridge.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:18 am

Just curious since I haven't used a SWU for a couple months now but when did HKG start charging 180 HKD as part of using a SWU? I called to be waitlisted on an upcoming 193 flight and the AA EXP desk rep said they needed a CC on file to pay for the 180 HKD tax that HKG airport is imposing if I get confirmed. I mean its not too much but still kinda sucks that I have to cough up more money to upgrade on a SWU.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: LH HON
It's HKIA charging an airport construction fee.

https://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/...s/pr_1214.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.