Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: USDOT Grants AA Commercial USA-Cuba Flights (Jun 2016)

Old Sep 7, 2016, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread for AA USA-Cuba commercial service is

AA Cuba Commercial Flights as of 7 Sep 2016

For the thread discussing the AA application, see
ARCHIVE: AA submits application to DoT for Cuba flights

In March 2016, the USDOT accepted airline applications wishing to offer non-charter commercial flights between the USA and Cuba. On June 10, 2016 USDOT issued an order for American Airlines to operate flights between the USA and Cuba, to begin September 2016 HAV / La Habana.) JetBlue inaugurated the first commercial US flight to Cuba since 1961 yesterday, AA initiated commercial service Sep 7.

Per the DOT Order, American is approved to operate
  • two daily flights between Miami and HOG / Holguin (738) SNU / Santa Clara (738) and VRA / Varadero (A319)

• one daily flight between Miami and CMW / Camagüey (A319) and CFG / Cienfuegos (A319)
AA expects to begin selling tickets for travel to Cuba this summer.

See this post by ThreeJulietTango for schedule information. (Link)

Yahoo! Finance (Link): "American’s service proposal to DOT also requested 10 daily frequencies from Miami to Havana and additional service to Havana from Charlotte, Dallas Fort Worth, Chicago and Los Angeles. American stands ready to begin service to Havana at the earliest possible opportunity."

USA Today (link): "WASHINGTON — Six U.S. airlines were approved to begin the first scheduled flights to Cuba in more than 50 years, the Transportation Department announced Friday.

The airlines were approved to fly from five U.S. cities to nine Cuban cities other than Havana. But the department is still considering which airlines will get a combined 20 daily flights to the capital out of 60 proposals, which will be announced later this summer..."

Reuters: (link) "American will have nonstop service from Miami, the largest Cuban community in the United States; Southwest, JetBlue and Silver Airways will fly from nearby Fort Lauderdale; Frontier will add flights from Chicago and Philadelphia; and Sun Country will serve Minneapolis."
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...cuba/85693838/ AA was granted flights to 5 cities in Cuba, excluding Havana (which hasn't been awarded yet).
Old Jun 10, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/w...cuba/85693838/ AA was granted flights to 5 cities in Cuba, excluding Havana (which hasn't been awarded yet).
Sweet ^^
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Awesome! Can't wait to start. Let see what happens.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi all, here's a newspaper from Miami Herald.

Here's a link:

US airlines to start scheduled flights to Cuba

http://www.miamiherald.com/latest-ne...e82975432.html

Congratulations to all!!!
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:27 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The previous thread, "AA submits application to DoT for Cuba flights" has been archived and may be read here:
Link to archived thread "AA submits application to DoT for Cuba flights".

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 10, 2016 at 3:08 pm
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't we have a flight schedule? When they will be posted?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Very interesting that the flights from the AA hubs of Philly and Chicago are going to be on Frontier...NOT AA.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Very interesting that the flights from the AA hubs of Philly and Chicago are going to be on Frontier...NOT AA.
For the non-HAV routes, AA only applied to operate those from MIA. For the HAV routes I believe they applied for service from at least 5 different cities. It will be interesting to see how the HAV routes are allocated.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
For the non-HAV routes, AA only applied to operate those from MIA. For the HAV routes I believe they applied for service from at least 5 different cities. It will be interesting to see how the HAV routes are allocated.
About the only absolute certainty IMO would be AA getting at least 3x slots from MIA for HAV. DOT could go any number of ways otherwise.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
It's worth emphasizing that this announcement is only about the applications for cities other than HAV. In all cases, there were more available route authorities than applications, so these applications were all uncontested, if I understand correctly.

The DOT has not yet announced the award of the contested HAV authorities (for which AA has asked for 10x MIA and a smattering of frequencies to AA's other hubs; DL and UA did not ask for any non-HAV authorities).

I've suggested to the moderators that the original thread remains relevant, since this thread has nothing to do with the more-interesting HAV service.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
American is approved to operate two daily flights between Miami and HOG / Holguin (738) SNU / Santa Clara (738) and VRA / Varadero (A319)

one daily flight between Miami and CMW / Camagüey (A319) and CFG / Cienfuegos (A319)
I’m excited about this development.

Varadero is a resort area and Holguín is the gateway to the north-coast resort area of Guardalavaca. That type of travel is still officially a no-no for us Yanks. Camagüey and Cienfuegos are interesting medium-size cities with a lot of history. Both figure prominently in many of the present people-to-people tours. Santa Clara is probably best known to foreigners as the site of the Che Guevara mausoleum.

I'm disappointed not to see Santiago de Cuba (SCU) in the list. I think it rivals Havana in terms of fabulousness. I'd call it a smaller, much more manageable version of the capital, but just as vibrant with a ton of things to see and do. Sitting on the terrace at the century-old Hotel Casa Granda overlooking the central park with a cuba libre in hand, just as Graham Greene always did, is one of its great experiences.

Last edited by SJOGuy; Jun 10, 2016 at 2:35 pm
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I believe AA already serves HAV extensively with charter service that has been offered for many years. So what we are talking about here is commercial service with published fares.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:10 pm

Yahoo! Finance (Link): "American’s service proposal to DOT also requested 10 daily frequencies from Miami to Havana and additional service to Havana from Charlotte, Dallas Fort Worth, Chicago and Los Angeles. American stands ready to begin service to Havana at the earliest possible opportunity."

It's not all sorted yet.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
It's worth emphasizing that this announcement is only about the applications for cities other than HAV. In all cases, there were more available route authorities than applications, so these applications were all uncontested, if I understand correctly.

The DOT has not yet announced the award of the contested HAV authorities (for which AA has asked for 10x MIA and a smattering of frequencies to AA's other hubs; DL and UA did not ask for any non-HAV authorities).

I've suggested to the moderators that the original thread remains relevant, since this thread has nothing to do with the more-interesting HAV service.
This DOT statement mentioning the flights to La Habana will be announced by USDOT this summer is mentioned in the wikipost. We can discuss this topic here.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I believe AA already serves HAV extensively with charter service that has been offered for many years. So what we are talking about here is commercial service with published fares.
Yes, they sure did. AA has already serves to HAV for over nearly 3 decades. There are a lots of Cuban populations who lived in South Florida area. As long if you visit the relatives, official business, government official, and journalist, as well. As for Tourist, US Law said they are still prohibited.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.