Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines purchased a number of Airbus A321-200, all equipped with “Sharklets” wingtip devices. These vary from the A321-200s purchased by US Airways, which have conventional wingtips and were stripped of at-seat power and in flight entertainment.

For several years, AA showed the legacy AA Sharklets equipped aircraft as “32B” in schedules, regardless of the variant. In early 2029, AA classified this and the legacy US version as “321”.

Current versions include the three class (with Flagship First) A321T used only between JFK and LAX or SFO. This variant has its own thread. Others include:

A321S, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 used domestically and to near international destinations.

A321H, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 ETOPS used for West Coast - Hawaii overwater flights. These are to be replaced by A321neo aircraft later in 2029.

Both models have identical seating.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all two class Legacy AA A321-200 “32B” Sharklets wingtip device equipped aircraft will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.
Print Wikipost

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
Wish my flights were on Airbuts -- as it is, my seat is usually like a rock.
Word has it the Airbut(t)s are quite luxurious!
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Hmm per the earlier comments in the thread, you guys have me considering 11DE as opposed to 25A and 25F.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Hmm per the earlier comments in the thread, you guys have me considering 11DE as opposed to 25A and 25F.
Note that you will not have a window in 11DE. Only a porthole.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 4:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Navig8R
Note that you will not have a window in 11DE. Only a porthole.
I think I'm sticking with 25A and F. Someone mentioned the light from the lavatory earlier but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 5:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
I think I'm sticking with 25A and F. Someone mentioned the light from the lavatory earlier but I don't think it'll be that big of a deal.

There's also the smell from the lav, as people aren't trained to always close the door. 11DE are better, the only hiccup is the FA in the jump seat briefly and the fact that they made to assess their own personal bag they've stowed undo 10F(covered by the jump seat) . 25A has no under seat storage.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Aren’t 11DE also narrower? 12A and 12f have the normal armrests and extra legroom. 11DE if you want to sit together.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:29 pm
pjs

Hey folks, have a flight OGG-LAX on a 321.

As of now, I'm leaning toward getting 25F for myself, 25A for my GF. But I'm wondering, can anyone tell me the difference between the window seats in Row 12 vs. Row 25. I get that Row 12 is an exit row but wouldn't the legroom be the same for both rows?
Same routing (evening flight going to OGG and redeye back to LAX) but there are 4 of us (kids are older teens so they don't need to be right next to us). Was thinking 25A, 24B, 24C and 25F OR 11A, C, D, E (kids will want to lean on window to sleep).

Thanks for any advice.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: A few here and there
Originally Posted by pjs
Same routing (evening flight going to OGG and redeye back to LAX) but there are 4 of us (kids are older teens so they don't need to be right next to us). Was thinking 25A, 24B, 24C and 25F OR 11A, C, D, E (kids will want to lean on window to sleep).

Thanks for any advice.
Any of those seats are fine. Just stay away from the ones behind the exit row. (25b,c,d,e) I always prefer to be at the front of the plane to get on and off quicker. Just keep in mind that the overhead above the exit door is really small relative to the other overhead bins. I've had mixed experiences with F/A's letting you keep bags under row 10. If you have a connection I would strongly suggest being closer to the front. Those 321's can take forever to deplane after a red-eye.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 8:00 am
pjs

Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
Any of those seats are fine. Just stay away from the ones behind the exit row. (25b,c,d,e) I always prefer to be at the front of the plane to get on and off quicker. Just keep in mind that the overhead above the exit door is really small relative to the other overhead bins. I've had mixed experiences with F/A's letting you keep bags under row 10. If you have a connection I would strongly suggest being closer to the front. Those 321's can take forever to deplane after a red-eye.
Thanks - booked row 11 for both flights. Cost me $280 R/T for all of us but the flights were booked using Avios so it's a small price to pay overall for comfort and peace of mind on a short connection on the way home.
Drunkmuppet likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 4:56 pm

Bought row 25F for $65 for KOA-LAX, LAX-DFW. Seems like a decent price for the extra legroom for a combined 9 hour flight.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Yes and you can get up without making others move. BTW it is not a MCE seat though.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got a flight on an A321 and I chose 10F as it seems to have seat in front of it.
The middle seat, as of this morning, now seems to be either occupied or with any luck blocked off. Do AA do that like British Airways and their "alleged" Theoretical seating where a seat can be blocked next to someone with status?
The aisle seat is free and other windows and aisle seats have been left.

Unless it's one of these strange people who likes a middle seat, a person of size, or someone who wants 10F and assumes that by choosing 10e, the person in 10f will move rather than be sat next to someone else.

Last edited by xenole; Oct 4, 2018 at 12:41 am
Old Oct 4, 2018, 6:11 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by xenole
I've got a flight on an A321 and I chose 10F as it seems to have seat in front of it.
The middle seat, as of this morning, now seems to be either occupied or with any luck blocked off. Do AA do that like British Airways and their "alleged" Theoretical seating where a seat can be blocked next to someone with status?
The aisle seat is free and other windows and aisle seats have been left.

Unless it's one of these strange people who likes a middle seat, a person of size, or someone who wants 10F and assumes that by choosing 10e, the person in 10f will move rather than be sat next to someone else.

It could be a seat one can pick for free or cheaper. That person probably thinks its an exit row seat with extra legroom. They will be surely not happy because its one miserable seat. I'd count on having someone next to you. The good thing is that there is an unmovable armrest between 10E and 10F so a POS won't as easily spill on to your personage.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
AA1871 (A321). 6c vs 22c ?

Unfortunately upgrade did not clear. I have the choice between 6c (preferred seat) or 22c (Main Cabin Extra exit row).

Seatguru seems to think 22c is a bad seat due to possibility of people bumping you while waiting to use the lavatory.

For me, since I can't really sleep on flights anyway, and I would make use of the drink service for MCE (this is leisure travel), perhaps being close to the lavatory might be worth while As an aside, is the drink service being properly honored in MCE, or are FAs in general making up rules to limit quantity? I am bound to request enough drinks that would give a prohibitionist an aneurysm.

That said, is the seat itself sub standard? Does it recline like the rest? I understand with a fixed arm rest it would be narrower.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
Unfortunately upgrade did not clear. I have the choice between 6c (preferred seat) or 22c (Main Cabin Extra exit row).

Seatguru seems to think 22c is a bad seat due to possibility of people bumping you while waiting to use the lavatory.

For me, since I can't really sleep on flights anyway, and I would make use of the drink service for MCE (this is leisure travel), perhaps being close to the lavatory might be worth while As an aside, is the drink service being properly honored in MCE, or are FAs in general making up rules to limit quantity? I am bound to request enough drinks that would give a prohibitionist an aneurysm.

That said, is the seat itself sub standard? Does it recline like the rest? I understand with a fixed arm rest it would be narrower.
if legroom is not a concern I would go with 6C. Smell from lavatories and constant traffic can be annoying.

Drinks are free in MCE and I believe all FAs are familiar with this policy by now. Usually you do have to go to the aft galley to ask for a refill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.