Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines purchased a number of Airbus A321-200, all equipped with “Sharklets” wingtip devices. These vary from the A321-200s purchased by US Airways, which have conventional wingtips and were stripped of at-seat power and in flight entertainment.

For several years, AA showed the legacy AA Sharklets equipped aircraft as “32B” in schedules, regardless of the variant. In early 2029, AA classified this and the legacy US version as “321”.

Current versions include the three class (with Flagship First) A321T used only between JFK and LAX or SFO. This variant has its own thread. Others include:

A321S, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 used domestically and to near international destinations.

A321H, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 ETOPS used for West Coast - Hawaii overwater flights. These are to be replaced by A321neo aircraft later in 2029.

Both models have identical seating.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all two class Legacy AA A321-200 “32B” Sharklets wingtip device equipped aircraft will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.
Print Wikipost

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’m not so sure, since there is an “aisle” to right right of 11E. Guess we’ll have to wait for facts😀
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Take 25F as it''s the better seat IMO as I'm 6' 190. Was in that seat for tomorrow's flight but my upgrade came through last night at some point. Just be cognizant that the peeps in row 24 may not always be expecting you to come that way as they are often defending their space from people trying to invade it as they are queuing for the toilet. I'm one of those defenders at times too as I like row 24 more that 25 A/F.
Panamajon513 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:55 pm

IMO (just for another one), 25F is not a good choice for a redeye as you get the light from the lavatory every time the door opens. Not as much as you get in 24D or E, but enough to be annoying.

11E is a better seat, with effectively unlimited legroom. You do have the FA in the jump seat in takeoff and landing to your right and the person in 12F usually comes and goes through the space in front of you but there's plenty of room. You also have easier access to storage underneath 10E, whereas the storage for 25F is two rows ahead of you.
Zacnlinc and Panamajon513 like this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Does 11E have a normal right armrest or emergency exit style. Width is just as important as length for some of us. I found it interesting that 12F had one armrest if each style.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Night Flyer
IMO (just for another one), 25F is not a good choice for a redeye as you get the light from the lavatory every time the door opens. Not as much as you get in 24D or E, but enough to be annoying.

11E is a better seat, with effectively unlimited legroom. You do have the FA in the jump seat in takeoff and landing to your right and the person in 12F usually comes and goes through the space in front of you but there's plenty of room. You also have easier access to storage underneath 10E, whereas the storage for 25F is two rows ahead of you.
Cute flight attendant sitting across from me in the jump seat sounds like an added bonus 😊
jacobguo likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:57 pm

Question about narrow seats

I am flying this plane from OGG-LAX and considering the 11DE seats. This is an overnight flight.
Everyone mentions that the seats are narrow but there's loads of legroom. How narrow is narrow?

Would you choose 11DE over 14DF with no one in between?

Thank you for your replies!
Cindi
Old Jan 29, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by CindiSh
I am flying this plane from OGG-LAX and considering the 11DE seats. This is an overnight flight.
Everyone mentions that the seats are narrow but there's loads of legroom. How narrow is narrow?

Would you choose 11DE over 14DF with no one in between?

Thank you for your replies!
Cindi
CindiSh :: Did you end up in 11DE? How was the flight? I'm heading out tomorrow from MIA to LAX.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 2:17 pm

Tons of legroom in 11D or 11E. Seat is definitely narrower than normal. Pray you don't sit next to anyone overweight or you'll be fencing elbows all flight.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
With F already full on an upcoming BOS-DFW flight later this week it looks like my first long flight in Y on this plane. I have a choice between 10A and 12C. I would prefer a window for a long evening flight but Seatguru comments are contradictory about 10A. Does it recline or not?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I pretty much always sit in row 22 or 23.

23 B/C/D/E are awful, ignore them.

23F is by far my favorite. Normal width, unlimited legroom, and underseat storage under 21F.

Second choice is 23A. Same seat but the jumpseat is in front of it, so there's no underseat storage. So it's fairly difficult to get personal items while in flight.

22 B/C/D/E - plenty of legroom, but they are definitely narrow. The tray tables are in the armrests so the sides of the seats are solid. And while I haven't measured (but I might next trip), it definitely looks like the edge of 22E is not quite as far from the aisle as 23E. In other words the total width of 22D/E is less than the total width of 23D/E. I was in 22C last week and it was definitely uncomfortable in the sense of being narrow.

They are close to the lavatory but I wear a sleep mask on redeyes so it doesn't bother me.

However, 23A/23F are not considered MCE. I think they are free to elites. Of course if you're Plat, they are free anyway, but if you're gold and have to pay 50% of the MCE price, this is a deal because you don't have to pay anything.

There are some similarities further front in the plane but I'm most familiar with rows 22 and 23; I've probably flown in them at least 20 times in the past 3 years. On a redeye, I think it's close between 23F and first class. You're not going to get much service or want to open your laptop in F anyway, so 23F has less width and more legroom than F.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by redtop43
I pretty much always sit in row 22 or 23.

23 B/C/D/E are awful, ignore them.

23F is by far my favorite. Normal width, unlimited legroom, and underseat storage under 21F.

Second choice is 23A. Same seat but the jumpseat is in front of it, so there's no underseat storage. So it's fairly difficult to get personal items while in flight.

22 B/C/D/E - plenty of legroom, but they are definitely narrow. The tray tables are in the armrests so the sides of the seats are solid. And while I haven't measured (but I might next trip), it definitely looks like the edge of 22E is not quite as far from the aisle as 23E. In other words the total width of 22D/E is less than the total width of 23D/E. I was in 22C last week and it was definitely uncomfortable in the sense of being narrow.

They are close to the lavatory but I wear a sleep mask on redeyes so it doesn't bother me.

However, 23A/23F are not considered MCE. I think they are free to elites. Of course if you're Plat, they are free anyway, but if you're gold and have to pay 50% of the MCE price, this is a deal because you don't have to pay anything.

There are some similarities further front in the plane but I'm most familiar with rows 22 and 23; I've probably flown in them at least 20 times in the past 3 years. On a redeye, I think it's close between 23F and first class. You're not going to get much service or want to open your laptop in F anyway, so 23F has less width and more legroom than F.
23A doesn't exist on this plane I think. Maybe you are talking about LUS 321?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Does 24C recline at all?

2 seat exit row section directly in front of LAVs with three exit row seats behind it... looks like that’s my best MCE option. Otherwise it’s an aisle in the waaaaay back.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Airbut Jet 321 - Help me choose my seat?

Hey folks, have a flight OGG-LAX on a 321.

As of now, I'm leaning toward getting 25F for myself, 25A for my GF. But I'm wondering, can anyone tell me the difference between the window seats in Row 12 vs. Row 25. I get that Row 12 is an exit row but wouldn't the legroom be the same for both rows?
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by kapooncha
Hey folks, have a flight OGG-LAX on a 321.

As of now, I'm leaning toward getting 25F for myself, 25A for my GF. But I'm wondering, can anyone tell me the difference between the window seats in Row 12 vs. Row 25. I get that Row 12 is an exit row but wouldn't the legroom be the same for both rows?
Go with 25AF. Row 12DEF is only an exit row because of seat 12F. The other seats in that row do not have extra leg room.
kapooncha likes this.

Last edited by Navig8R; Aug 26, 2018 at 2:23 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Wish my flights were on Airbuts -- as it is, my seat is usually like a rock.
Nomorepretzels likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.