Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2018, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines purchased a number of Airbus A321-200, all equipped with “Sharklets” wingtip devices. These vary from the A321-200s purchased by US Airways, which have conventional wingtips and were stripped of at-seat power and in flight entertainment.

For several years, AA showed the legacy AA Sharklets equipped aircraft as “32B” in schedules, regardless of the variant. In early 2029, AA classified this and the legacy US version as “321”.

Current versions include the three class (with Flagship First) A321T used only between JFK and LAX or SFO. This variant has its own thread. Others include:

A321S, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 used domestically and to near international destinations.

A321H, Sharklets equipped two class Airbus A321-200 ETOPS used for West Coast - Hawaii overwater flights. These are to be replaced by A321neo aircraft later in 2029.

Both models have identical seating.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all two class Legacy AA A321-200 “32B” Sharklets wingtip device equipped aircraft will be retrofitted between 2019 and 2021. Business / First cabins will use the seats found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. MCE and MC will have the Rockwell Collins slimline Meridian seats with reduced pitch and recline. Lavatories will be ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion begins we will start a new thread, and you should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.
Print Wikipost

LAA Airbus “321” A321 2-class pre-Oasis Best Main Cabin & MCE seat

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
As other said, seat location doesn't matter (old CO used to board from back to front, I liked that). At online check-in, the system may offer you priority boarding for a fee (as long as it isn't a basic economy fare).
And if you purchase priority boarding, it puts you at the same level as Gold, one level above MCE without status. Here's the chart:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ng-process.jsp
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Really? Location doesn't matter? Doesn't location determine which group you're assigned at least within Groups 6-8?

I don't know what boarding procedure AA uses for general boarding, but certainly on other airlines, your seat location determines which boarding group you're in if you're not elite (either back-to-front or window-middle-aisle). Your location won't bump you up any higher than Group 6 if you have no status or AA co-branded credit card, but surely where you sit matters for boarding group assignments.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Group 6 is OLCI. Group 7 is self-CI at airport. Group 8 is CI with agent.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jacobguo
Group 6 is OLCI. Group 7 is self-CI at airport. Group 8 is CI with agent.
Interesting. That is good to know and pass on to my non-elite friends.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dpb132
Interesting. That is good to know and pass on to my non-elite friends.
Yeah I learnt this from my non-elite years.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 9:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by dpb132
Wouldn't that seat assignment make Group 6 more likely than Groups 7-8?
Originally Posted by Antipode
Really? Location doesn't matter? Doesn't location determine which group you're assigned at least within Groups 6-8? <snip>
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:07 am
formerly PHLGrump

Nope!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Question Which has more legroom and general space on the A321, Seat 11E or 25F?

Doing a MIA-LAX trip next week and my new employer doesn't spring for J or F. The MIA-LAX portion is during the day but the LAX-MIA return is the red-eye leaving at 9:40pm. I'm a relatively big guy at 6' 200 and like to spread out, would appreciate feedback on which to choose between 11E and 25F as both are currently available.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: A few here and there
IMO 11E is the narrow width seat. If you are not in a rush to get off the plane I would take 25F. I find these to be much easier to sleep in as the seat is generally full size.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Throw the flight details into seatguru, should provide you any additional information.

I'm so glad I never have this problem!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by emh210
Throw the flight details into seatguru, should provide you any additional information.

I'm so glad I never have this problem!
Seatguru has 11E as half yellow and half green, and 25F as all green, but the comments in the sidebar are all mixed.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
I don't have the height problem so I never go farther back than row 14. I have a twitch that developed as a result of flying and watching non regular flyers 1) Try to figure out where their seat is 2) Figure out how to get their stuff in an over head 3) realize they are in the wrong seat after being told by the person who is supposed to be in that seat 4) Watching them do all of this in reverse order with a bewildered look on their face as they struggle to recall which overhead their bag was in as they take 2 minutes to open 4 units returning back to the first one they opened and grabbing their bag.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
IMO 11E is the narrow width seat. If you are not in a rush to get off the plane I would take 25F. I find these to be much easier to sleep in as the seat is generally full size.
Doesn't 25F have a tray table in the armrest, due to not having a seat in front of it, making it narrower than the other seats in the row?
I believe this is the same width as the exit row 11 seats
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Good question.

If 25F is similar to 12F (also an emergency exit with no seat directly in front, in an "emergency exit" row that doesn't feel that way other than the window seat), then yes the tray table is in the armrest, but the windowside arm-rest is a normal one, so maybe not quite as narrow as 11E?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
Good question.

If 25F is similar to 12F (also an emergency exit with no seat directly in front, in an "emergency exit" row that doesn't feel that way other than the window seat), then yes the tray table is in the armrest, but the windowside arm-rest is a normal one, so maybe not quite as narrow as 11E?
11E also doesn't have a seat to the right, so I would expect that to be similar (no tray table on that side)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.