Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baggage / luggage delivery delay, accuracy, issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: LP (AA), DM(Delta),LPE/Ambassador level(SPG/marriott),D (hilton)

I am fortunate that I have a choice in airlines usually flying discounted A class.
My choice usually is a combination of convenience and price.

Years ago i stopped flying AA thru MIA when i kept loosing luggage 1/2 the time i was routed thru MIA. I assumed AA has fixed this, but last week i flew into JFK direct from LAS, waiting on luggage, when they made an announcement on the next carousel that all the bags have been sorted, and please make your way to the baggage service counter to file a claim for delayed luggage. I'm sure it was over 30 people than had to fill out a claim.

IF anyone from AA reads this, When is AA ever going to fix the issues with MIA luggage out of MIA? That airport is hurting your reputation and affecting business.

(Sorry if someone has a thread started on this. it was hard for me to find the right search parameters to find an open thread on this subject.)

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 21, 2016 at 11:48 am Reason: Restore original confusing postbtitle
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
MIA luggage MIA?

Flew to/from MIA with bags 6 times in past three years. No issues with luggage on five times. The remaining time involved waiting 45 minutes for bags to come out.

Priority bags coming out first is hit/miss.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by LVflier
I assumed AA has fixed this, but last week i flew into JFK direct from LAS, waiting on luggage, when they made an announcement on the next carousel that all the bags have been sorted, and please make your way to the baggage service counter to file a claim for delayed luggage.
What does a luggage delay on your LAS-JFK flight have to do with Miami luggage arrivals?

DOT data show some carriers are routinely better than others. The industry certainly hasn't achieved a reputation of high reliability. See page 30 in the latest DOT report. (Envoy, of course, is awful.)

https://www.transportation.gov/sites...uaryATCR_0.pdf

Last edited by 3Cforme; Feb 21, 2016 at 6:52 am
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Despite the millions of dollars invested into the new baggage handling system, it is prone to failure during periods of high volume. From what I understand, one of the main issues isn't the system itself, but rather TSA's inability (or unwillingness?) to staff enough baggage screeners for the amount of bags going through the system, which causes backups.

I can't believe it's already been a year since this happened: http://www.ibtimes.com/american-airl...-issue-1823612
Old Feb 21, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
From what I understand, one of the main issues isn't the system itself, but rather TSA's inability (or unwillingness?) to staff enough baggage screeners for the amount of bags going through the system, which causes backups.
I call BS on this. Alaska has a 20-minute guarantee that I've never seen them miss and they deal with TSA the same way as AA. AA simply put just has a terrible baggage system. Whether it is because of the personnel or the system or both, I don't know (my guess is more on the personnel side based on things I've seen), but to blame TSA is just a cop out.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What does a luggage delay on your LAS-JFK flight have to do with Miami luggage arrivals?...

Yea, I read the OP three times in case I was slow ( I am).

Totally confused.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
40 minutes for bags to arrive

I waited 40 minutes staring at the carousel waiting for the checked bags from our flight to arrive. It took them 40 minutes for the first bag from that flight to show up....O'hare was the site of the crime against human dignity....
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nk15
I waited 40 minutes staring at the carousel waiting for the checked bags from our flight to arrive. It took them 40 minutes for the first bag from that flight to show up....O'hare was the site of the crime against human dignity....
So you're saying your flight arrived on the date on which it was scheduled - AND you got your bags? That's a pretty good day by LCC standards.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:29 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
40 minutes is actually right within typical. Try MIA where it can be an hour. Luckily, I rarely ever have to check a bag.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Plat SPG Platinum
Often fly into Miami and would view a forty minute wait for baggage as short. Happy to get that level of service anytime, anyplace.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Come hang out at JFK, where a typical wait will be an hour or so. And forget about priority tags, those will ensure your bag is in the back half of the group.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:42 am

Programs: pleb
Try JFK. Once arrived early but still had to wait an hour for bags. Also this isn't really AA dependent. I'm assuming this is because of airport operations being tied up.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by danohio
And forget about priority tags, those will ensure your bag is in the back half of the group.
I used to read this about MIA too, and figured it was just FTers being dramatic. Then I started regularly flying into MIA, and every single time the orange tags came out dead last.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So are you saying that this was an unusually good performance, lol...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nightkhan
I'm assuming this is because of airport operations being tied up.
At my local airport, we joke that there is only one baggage handler across all the airlines and he hand walks every bag from the planes - and will only start the belt once all the bags from that plane are in the building. God forbid multiple flights arrive at once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.