Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Baggage / luggage delivery delay, accuracy, issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage / luggage delivery delay, accuracy, issues

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by nk15
So are you saying that this was an unusually good performance, lol...
Well last time I checked bags on a trip to ORD, my bag was already on the carousel before I got to baggage claim, but I'm sure somebody got in trouble for that error.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:57 am
formerly jameskwon

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
Luggage delivery service
1 bag = $29.95
2 bag = $39.95
3 – 10 bags = $49.95
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ry-service.jsp
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: AA PP 1.8MM, PC Spire, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wrp96
Well last time I checked bags on a trip to ORD, my bag was already on the carousel before I got to baggage claim, but I'm sure somebody got in trouble for that error.
Last time I traveled to ORD with checked bags, by the time we made a bathroom break and walked what seemed like forever to baggage claim, our bags were already off the carousel and on the side waiting for pickup.

When did it become acceptable to wait more than 30 minutes at the carousel? I would be irritated if I had to wait more than 15 minutes for a bag to come out. I would be pissed if it took more than 30.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jameskwon
Luggage delivery service
1 bag = $29.95
2 bag = $39.95
3 – 10 bags = $49.95
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ry-service.jsp
So I should pay extra for AA's failure to perform?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I think all airlines need to start making guarantees like this:

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/tr...guarantee.aspx
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:12 am

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
I don't like to wait either but faster delivery means more employees which means greater costs. I suppose you could pay more for your ticket ...

40 minutes from landing, doors open, you arriving at baggage claim??
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I don't like to wait either but faster delivery means more employees which means greater costs. I suppose you could pay more for your ticket ...

40 minutes from doors open, unfortunately I am usually first off the aircraft, 5 min brisk walk to the carousels, followed by 35 min staring at the abyss, so I guess it is all my fault....
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
40 minutes from doors open, unfortunately I am usually first off the aircraft, 5 min brisk walk to the carousels, followed by 35 min staring at the abyss, so I guess it is all my fault....
As per your tag line, you are top tier on all 3 airlines, what is your experience overall? if you are EXP at AA they should be tagged and should be the first one to arrive, which rarely happens for me. I try to not check a bag, but when I do, I leisurely take my time to get to carousel. Go to the bathroom first, get water, check my phone and then go there.

I seem to recall that DL or AS has a 20 minute bag 2 carousel. Try getting your bag in SJU, as an EXP I've waited almost 90 minutes.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I waited 40 minutes staring at the carousel waiting for the checked bags from our flight to arrive. It took them 40 minutes for the first bag from that flight to show up....O'hare was the site of the crime against human dignity....
International flight, or domestic?
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I do find it funny when people make this argument without any sense whatsoever about the magnitude of the extra cost, or any idea whether AA would actually increase prices or just let it marginally eat into their profits.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arollins
As per your tag line, you are top tier on all 3 airlines, what is your experience overall? if you are EXP at AA they should be tagged and should be the first one to arrive, which rarely happens for me. I try to not check a bag, but when I do, I leisurely take my time to get to carousel. Go to the bathroom first, get water, check my phone and then go there.

I seem to recall that DL or AS has a 20 minute bag 2 carousel. Try getting your bag in SJU, as an EXP I've waited almost 90 minutes.
I rarely check bags, unless I have to for long summer trips. I would say that my priority tag experience in One World is 50/50, half of the time I get the bag early. Star Alliance is a bit better, probably 70/30.

In this trip of 9 stops (separate tickets) I checked the bag 9 times, all relatively smooth except this one and at AUH where Etihad lost my bag in their airport for more than hour...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
International flight, or domestic?
Domestic
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Granted, I check bags EXTREMELY rarely, but my experience with ORD has been relatively good.

MIA, however, is truly the much-reported unmitigated disaster when it comes to baggage.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
So are you saying that this was an unusually good performance, lol...
I would say that 40-45 minutes is standard for AA but MIA is definitely the worst I have experienced. . Baggage delivery times are appalling at AA.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP

First, your assumption that better baggage handling = higher cost is not necessarily true. I spent a large part of my career as an industrial engineer. In most cases, smart process design will yield more efficient, faster operation at lower cost. One thing that I often see is that the handlers are nowhere to be seen when my plane arrives, even during a slow period where I can see that they are not otherwise engaged. This is poor management at the airport. The best evidence of poor management in AA's case is the poor handling of priority luggage. If they don't care enough to ensure that the handlers are providing the very visible service that AA promises to their premium and high elite customers, which is simple, that tells me that they do a poor job of managing luggage operations in general.

Second, even if that were not possible your dismissive question leaves out an important part - how much would I be willing to pay? Is AA saving $0.10 or $40.00 by providing bad service? I would happily pay $5 to $10 per flight for an iron-clad guarantee that my bags are at the carousel within 20 minutes. The time that I spend waiting is time not with my family, not working or not sleeping.

Third, did AA at some point cut the price of my flights in return for the lousy baggage service?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.