How to maximize TPA-SEA-TPA

Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
How to maximize TPA-SEA-TPA

Hi all,

A senior relative (70 yrs old) wants to visit her son in Seattle, departing Tampa. Alaska has the only non-stop. So my question is how to maximize the miles for this trip on AS.

She is willing to fly restricted F but does not have an AA ff account nor an affiliated credit card which she should get.

As to credit card offers, is the 30K credit card the best current offer?

THANKS!
Old Aug 31, 2016, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Hi all,

A senior relative (70 yrs old) wants to visit her son in Seattle, departing Tampa. Alaska has the only non-stop. So my question is how to maximize the miles for this trip on AS.

She is willing to fly restricted F but does not have an AA ff account nor an affiliated credit card which she should get.

THANKS!
The cheapest F fare for TPA-SEA looks to be around $1,200, so as a no status pax your relative will only earn around 6k miles for the flights alone (assuming they booked the AA codeshare).

If this person is 70 and doesn't even have a frequent flier account, is it really worth it to sign them up for a new travel rewards credit card? There are varying bonus offers from 30-60k for the AA cards, but all of these come with minimum spend requirements and annual fees.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 11:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL UA AS
She should consider getting the Alaska BoA card with a 30K bonus for $1,000 spend. Then buy upgradeable coach R/T and upgrade to F for 15k miles each way. Unlike AA, there's no cash copay required to do this.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Hi all,

THANKS!
Why credit to AA if she doesn't have an AA frequent flyer account? These days, AS's frequent flyer program is much better even if flying on AA. When flying AS, seems like a no-brainer to me for someone who isn't already deeply committed to AAdvantage.

If she's flying with a companion, the AS credit card has a $99+taxes companion fare (coach-only) which is likely worth the $75 annual fee all by itself for one TPA-SEA round trip. Because it acts as a discount code (rather than booking into some special fare bucket), it is a regular cash booking for frequent flyer earning purposes, no matter the program credited to.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:42 am
Original Poster

What am I doing Wrong?

So I'm trying to book this for her outbound on 11/22 and return 11/29 in paid on the Alaska non-stops. On-line does not show these as code share or anything else.

Is this something that can't be done on-line as an American code share?

Thanks for the further help.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG, FB Gold
Is this something that can't be done on-line as an American code share?
You might try calling AA phone reservations, but the agent will still have to FIND it in the system in order to sell it to you. I'm not personally sure whether AA agents can book an AS flight as an AA code-share if it isn't visibly offered as such to the public.

Still a little confused what you're trying to solve (or work around)? Your relative will earn more RDMs by just ticketing on AS and crediting the flights to an AS FF acct anyway.

Someone else here might be able to give you better advice if you can more explicitly state what product you're trying to get and/or what problem you're trying to solve.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Well, she plans to be a "traveling senior" and most of those trips probably would be on American. She got an FF account and is applying for a credit card.

I appreciate everyone's insight!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If this person is 70 and doesn't even have a frequent flier account, is it really worth it to sign them up for a new travel rewards credit card?
Just to provide a different perspective, my grandmother did more travel from age 70 to 90 than she had in her first 70 years combined... She retired and her husband passed so she finally had the time and motivation.

As to the original question, in the short term Alaska has the better program but chances are they will cut it to match the competition in the next few years.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.