Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Non-refundable, non-changeable international ticket

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-refundable, non-changeable international ticket

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2017, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This is nothing new nor shady. It iis not uncommon to get non changeable fares when originating outside North America
Mine originated in North America. I agree it's not shady...as long as it's clearly disclosed in a way that reasonable people would have a hard time missing it.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
DL has been selling deeply discounted non-changeable domestic fares for some time now. Both UA & AA are in the process of introducing them. The DL displays are clear. Presumably UA & AA will be as well.

In any event, one can be forgiven for not having read most minute details of every fare rules. But, the basics such as refunds, changes, and fees deserve at least a glance and it is in the customer's own interest to check those.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
DL has been selling deeply discounted non-changeable domestic fares for some time now. Both UA & AA are in the process of introducing them. The DL displays are clear. Presumably UA & AA will be as well.

In any event, one can be forgiven for not having read most minute details of every fare rules. But, the basics such as refunds, changes, and fees deserve at least a glance and it is in the customer's own interest to check those.
Agreed. Delta is pretty clear, and even when I've seen these in other travel portals there's usually an "Are you sure?" kind of step (a second click).
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NDFan
I just found one of these when booking BCN-JFK-BCN for June.
I also just found one for BCN-BOS in June, and since it was a very good price, I was ready to purchase until I looked at the fare rules and saw that it was totally non-changeable. I'm used to 300 USD change fees on the O fares in this market, so it surprised me. Glad I looked though...
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I've started to see that language about combining changeable and non-changeable fares, but I think it's relatively new (probably within the last year?). The "most restrictive rule" was pretty ubiquitous before that.
It may have been common for bookings originating in the USA, but has not been the general case
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:11 am

It is not true that the most restrictive rule will appliy. That is a popular mantra stated here, but quite untrue and the actual situation is purely based on what the fare rules states in changes/cancellations section
It's not just a "popular mantra" here, it quite clearly states it at the top of the fare rules page:

"The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary."

However, you are quite correct that in further delving I did find the text you quoted that the changeable portion remains changeable.

This is nothing new nor shady. It iis not uncommon to get non changeable fares when originating outside North America
It may not be new, but it is definitely a bit shady. Such a significant restriction should be made very clear upfront, as others have said. You, with your years of experience, may expect such an unusual restriction. I, having been an Advantage member since 1984, several years as EXP, was surprised by it, but at least knew to go hunting for it, though I am still confused by the contradictory terms, and the EXP agent's insistence that the O portion IS changeable.
The average traveller, or indeed somewhat above-average traveller, would likely be completely unaware of this restriction and would get a nasty shock if they needed to make any change.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:37 am

It's not just a "popular mantra" here, it quite clearly states it at the top of the fare rules page:
For *some* fares, the most restrictive rule applies, for others the rules of the fare component being changed applies

It may not be new, but it is definitely a bit shady. Such a significant restriction should be made very clear upfront, as others have said. You, with your years of experience, may expect such an unusual restriction. I, having been an Advantage member since 1984, several years as EXP, was surprised by it, but at least knew to go hunting for it, though I am still confused by the contradictory terms, and the EXP agent's insistence that the O portion IS changeable.
There is nothing shady about it at all and this is a rule that can find even on AA's business class fares. Book a $2658 r/t LHR-LAX in business class and no changes permitted ; this type of fare has been around on AA for many years

The part where changes permitted will be changeable - the other part will not be
Old Jan 26, 2017, 3:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Interesting, i didn't know there could be non changeable tickets, I always assumed that airlines would be happy to charge the hell out of a change (change fee + fare difference) and make more money
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fa Hz
Interesting, i didn't know there could be non changeable tickets, I always assumed that airlines would be happy to charge the hell out of a change (change fee + fare difference) and make more money
No, they actually make more money if they require you to purchase an entirely new ticket. @:-) But for competitive reasons, they can't do that in all markets...for now.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:03 am

It may not be new, but it is definitely a bit shady.
There is nothing shady about it at all
It's entirely how it's presented. If an airline is clearly describing and marketing these fares to passengers who want and intend to buy them, then I don't find it shady at all. For example, I find nothing whatsoever shady about Spirit: anyone who peruses their website for 15 seconds or more knows precisely what's being offered. Whether you like it or not may differ, but you can't reasonably show up at an airport and be surprised by what you find. You know in advance that if you can't fly your ticket, it's just gone. (Technically, they'll change it for a fee, but the fee is well higher than their typical fare.)

In the case of a legacy carrier offering unchangeable fares inside of their existing website of normal fares, then a user experience similar to what Delta does for Basic Economy is sufficient IMHO. The time I bought my AA unchangeable fares in the past, I initiated the search from a promotional landing page all about the fares. (The promo was tied in with Valentine's Day and I think they called them 'L'ove fares, in the L fare class.) By the time I was looking at a $350 R/T to Europe, I had passed through that page with the clear rules displayed in plain English, so that's perfectly fair game to me.

No, they actually make more money if they require you to purchase an entirely new ticket. @:-) But for competitive reasons, they can't do that in all markets...for now.
Eventually, I expect they'll be able to do it in any market with a ULCC, in addition to the markets outside the U.S. where they already regularly do it. I wonder if the legacies will shy away from them in markets where they *only* compete with other legacies. They could certainly launch no-change fare wars on each other, but it might be counterproductive.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
For *some* fares, the most restrictive rule applies, for others the rules of the fare component being changed applies
Even that needs to be qualified:

(IV)CHANGE FEES WILL BE COLLECTED BASED UPON THE FARE COMPONENT THAT IS BEING CHANGED. THIS PROCEDURE APPLIES TO ALL DOMESTIC AND INTERNATIONAL FARES: EXCEPT - FOR TRANS- PACIFIC AND TRANSATLANTIC WITH AREA 2/AREA 3 POINTS OF ORIGIN THE MOST RESTRICTIVE CONDITION APPLIES.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Interesting! I hope that doesn't become the norm in the future and if it does its because the fares are way cheaper
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Admirals Club, Marriott PLT Premier, Hertz President's Circle
As a long time EXP and one who books (and usually changes w/ the penalty and fare difference) hundreds of tickets, I got burned by this for the first time on a business class fare from LHR-DFW roundtrip. It was an 'I' fare but I am told that isn't necessarily indicative.

I have spoken to several agents, AA.com web services, etc. and nobody can figure out where one can easily go to clearly confirm whether a ticket is a use it or lose it one. Highly annoying.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ssafro1
I have spoken to several agents, AA.com web services, etc. and nobody can figure out where one can easily go to clearly confirm whether a ticket is a use it or lose it one. Highly annoying.
Well, "easily" and "clearly" are subjective, but you need to go to the fare rules, under "Penalties" (and/or sometimes "Voluntary Changes").
It probably requires greater than fifth grade reading comprehension, but to most people it should be clear.

I will not dispute that this type of fine print is still well hidden by AA, and I would encourage you file a complaint with the DOT regardless. Other airlines make the ticket flexibility/change fees much more apparent during the booking process, on one of the same screens. Kind of shocking AA gets away without doing this.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by ssafro1
As a long time EXP and one who books (and usually changes w/ the penalty and fare difference) hundreds of tickets, I got burned by this for the first time on a business class fare from LHR-DFW roundtrip. It was an 'I' fare but I am told that isn't necessarily indicative.

It is easy to verify by checking the fare rules - if it says

ANY TIME
TICKET IS NON-REFUNDABLE.

ANY TIME
CHANGES NOT PERMITTED.

then the dates can neither be changed, nor can the fare be refunded

With an I class fare from LHR-DFW r/t I would be more surprised if it was refundable and chanegable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.