Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Mesa Airlines / American Eagle - Still cash only for alcohol/food?

Old Aug 30, 16, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Nothing came up in the search. When I flew PHX-AUS a few months ago, Mesa Airlines/American Eagle told me alcohol was cash only. Is that still true? I know AA and just about every other airline phased out cash a few years ago, therefore, I was pretty surprised.
Old Aug 30, 16, 11:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Cash has been phased out on mainline flights, but Eagle flights are operated by other carriers (Envoy, Mesa, Republic, etc.). AA and the operating carrier haven't invested the time and money to outfit all the FAs with devices to accept credit cards. Given the usually short nature of Eagle flights, there isn't much incentive to do so.

Last edited by danohio; Aug 30, 16 at 11:48 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 30, 16, 12:06 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by danohio View Post
Cash has been phased out on mainline flights, but Eagle flights are operated by other carriers (Envoy, Mesa, Republic, etc.). AA and the operating carrier haven't invested the time and money to outfit all the FAs with devices to accept credit cards. Given the usually short nature of Eagle flights, there isn't much incentive to do so.
Since mainline FAs have devices created specifically for their carrier, the 'Regional' carriers would have to create a device that would be able to read the different parent they fly under.

These FAs often fly multiple legs under different parent companies (DL, UA, AA), so until they (Envoy, Mesa, Republic, ExpressJet) can figure out a device that can do that, cash is the simplest form of payment.
Old Aug 30, 16, 1:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
As someone who doesn't use credit, I like how the regionals use cash wish there was an option on mainline flights instead of needing a card
Old Aug 30, 16, 3:04 pm

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by AJones2000 View Post
As someone who doesn't use credit, I like how the regionals use cash wish there was an option on mainline flights instead of needing a card
You don't carry a single credit or debit card?

This seems like another area where AA IT is woefully behind the times. If I am correct, Delta Connection carriers went cashless years ago.
Old Aug 30, 16, 3:08 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I could swear Deltas regional partners take CC for payment it's just their single class 50 seaters that have to take cash only.
Old Aug 30, 16, 3:57 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa View Post
Since mainline FAs have devices created specifically for their carrier, the 'Regional' carriers would have to create a device that would be able to read the different parent they fly under.

These FAs often fly multiple legs under different parent companies (DL, UA, AA), so until they (Envoy, Mesa, Republic, ExpressJet) can figure out a device that can do that, cash is the simplest form of payment.
You mean like Square? The AA devices are just Samsung phones (or maybe small tablets, I dont know) running some app.

No excuse for this in this day and age.
Old Aug 30, 16, 4:41 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Red face There's always one...

Originally Posted by danohio View Post
Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
You mean like Square? The AA devices are just Samsung phones (or maybe small tablets, I dont know) running some app.

No excuse for this in this day and age.
Mainline AA uses Samsung, Mainline UA uses iPhones, and Mainline DL uses the Nokia phablet.

Each airline has their own software running on their refurbished tablets/phones for on-board sales, manuals, drill videos, and other airline specific apps. It's not as easy as buying a square and just plugging it in and go. These tablets/phones are not able to make/receive voice calls.

The three carriers would have to get together and create a software/app that would be able to read just their specific sales/info. I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old Aug 30, 16, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Yesterday, SAF (Santa Fe) - DFW, it was cash only, w/ some difficulty in making change.

Operated by Expressjet as American Eagle

As EXP, got a free drink and one snack (very limited selection)
Old Aug 30, 16, 6:12 pm

I too, can confirm that on DFW-GSP on Mesa last week it was Cash only.
Old Aug 30, 16, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP; UA Silver; Marriott Platinum Premier; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Platinum; National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bucketlist View Post
Yesterday, SAF (Santa Fe) - DFW, it was cash only, w/ some difficulty in making change.

Operated by Expressjet as American Eagle

As EXP, got a free drink and one snack (very limited selection)
You're lucky there was a snack to choose from. On my last few eagle flights, only the free snacks have been available. Yesterday, on PHL-YUL (50 seater Air Wisconsin) the FA said he only had pretzels and had not seen the premium snacks on his flights in a few weeks. He mentioned that since AA reintroduced free snacks that sales of the premium snacks have been way down so they don't carry them often on 50 seaters. He also said it is actually up to Air Wisconsin as to what food is carried onboard, not AA. Not sure how accurate all of that is, but it does fall in line with my recent eagle (mainly Air Wisconsin) experience. OTOH, mainline LUS has gotten very good about offering the snack/drink benefit proactively in coach (which is where I usually find myself these days).
Old Aug 30, 16, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
AA's regional carriers only accept cash for onboard purchases - same announcement on every Republic and PSA flight I've been on. Additionally, FA also told me regionals don't stock Woodford Reserve either.
Old Aug 30, 16, 6:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's cash only on the regional carriers. Period. That's on the website, so nothing to confirm anecdotally.

It's not just a matter of an app because the devices on all three carriers store the data and are then downloaded at each station. Even on aircraft with Internet access.

Until it hurts sales, there's no incentive to change the system.
Old Aug 31, 16, 6:28 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, SW
Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I could swear Deltas regional partners take CC for payment it's just their single class 50 seaters that have to take cash only.
DL connection carriers haven't completely switched to cashless cabins. I flew DTW-GSP over Easter weekend and both segments were cashless cabins. I believe aircraft operated by Mesa. I inquired and they verified that the company didn't want to invest in a CRJ.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: