Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unintentionally Hilarious Ad For Sioux City Service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:03 am
Original Poster

Has any one else seen the internet banner ads AA is running to promote their Sioux City service? Maybe it was somebody's last day on the job and ...
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dogcanyon
Has any one else seen the internet banner ads AA is running to promote their Sioux City service? Maybe it was somebody's last day on the job and ...
I have not seen the ad myself but I am sure it is referring the Sioux City's airport code of SUX. City officials tried for years to get the FAA to allow them to change it but were denied each time. So they decided to embrace it for marketing. They even sell items proudly displaying the SUX.

http://flysux.com/sux-gift/

Last edited by DCflyerAA-YX; Aug 27, 2016 at 4:18 pm Reason: grammar
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, wow, so maybe now (combining AA with their partner Finnair), you could to put together a routing for HEL-SUX.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCflyerAA-YX
I have not seen the ad myself but I am sure it is referring the Sioux City's airport code of SUX. City officials tried for years to get the FAA to allow them to change it but where denied each so. So they decided to embrace it for marketing. They even sell items proudly displaying the SUX.

http://flysux.com/sux-gift/

Yes. Evidently, the airport has a slogan, "Fly SUX", which appears in the ad.
The problem is that the font for "Fly" is so tiny that the word is almost invisible while the font for "SUX" is huge (like 20 times larger than the font for "Fly"). There is a plane with American livery flying above the slogan, so that when you first glance at it, the two words in the ad that stand out are "American" and "SUX". This is in the vertical version of the ad that appears on the side of your window. I have since seen a horizontal version of the ad that isn't as bad.

Last edited by dogcanyon; Aug 27, 2016 at 9:51 am Reason: Add comma
Old Aug 27, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Oh, wow, so maybe now (combining AA with their partner Finnair), you could to put together a routing for HEL-SUX.
Actually, HEL is one of my favorite airports. I have a friend in Germany who hates connecting at Heathrow so badly that she regularly flies Finnair to avoid it. She tells her friends that she'd rather go through HEL than connect at Heathrow.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Anyone got a screenshot of the ad?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Shouldn't they have used the slogan "Flying SUX" instead?

Note that I have a fondness in my heart for Woodbury County, Iowa.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Are they announcing nonstop service to/from Fresno?
SUX-FAT and FAT-SUX

Then there are the codes for city names that no longer exist, but the codes are unchanged
BOM - Bombay (Mumbai)
LED - Leningrad (St Petersburg)
SGN - Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
Are they announcing nonstop service to/from Fresno?
SUX-FAT and FAT-SUX

Then there are the codes for city names that no longer exist, but the codes are unchanged
BOM - Bombay (Mumbai)
LED - Leningrad (St Petersburg)
SGN - Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City)
And PEK for Beijing.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:32 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Perhaps someone was searching for fares between Fukuoka, Japan and Sioux City, Iowa and AA's tracking cookies made for a comical ad banner.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
And PEK for Beijing.
Yep, I knew I had missed at least one
I am flying to HEL for the first time in 3 weeks, followed by a short flight to LED on Norra. (Nordic Regional)
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AA EXP/OWE, Marriott Ambassador
How this gets passed QC is beyond me, let alone the many levels of project management clearance.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:41 am

Honestly if I were the local marketing folks embracing the SUX code is probably the best way to go; it's memorable for sure when people are searching for flights. I know they had tried to get it changed a long time back, but were denied by the FAA.

Better than folks around DEN insisting on calling it "DIA" after their request to change was denied. Being consistent (with what works in search engines etc) is much less confusing to travelers. SMF changed official names from "Sacramento Metropolitan Field" to "Sacramento International Airport", but they don't insist on calling it SIA.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 11:53 am

As I recall (and it's in their Wikipedia article), they were offered options of new codes. The only pronounceable or memorable one was GAY, which could work with Sioux Gateway Airport, but they turned those down.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I haven't seen the ad, but have my doubts that it's unintentionaly, given the airport's embracing of its code.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.