How much do you value AA's now free IFE?

Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:08 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
How much do you value AA's now free IFE?

I do utilize AA's free IFE a lot, seen about 10 or so movies in flight now, however, I still value it at about $0, as in, if it's given to me and it's free, I'll use it and enjoy using it, but if I even have to spend a dime on it, then I don't want it. Why? Because I have tons of movies on my iPad, so AA's free IFE just means I can save the movies on my iPad for later viewing. How do the rest of you value AA's free IFE?
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
I do utilize AA's free IFE a lot, seen about 10 or so movies in flight now, however, I still value it at about $0, as in, if it's given to me and it's free, I'll use it and enjoy using it, but if I even have to spend a dime on it, then I don't want it. Why? Because I have tons of movies on my iPad, so AA's free IFE just means I can save the movies on my iPad for later viewing. How do the rest of you value AA's free IFE?
Slim to none. I'm always ready with a book or my laptop in case a plane doesn't have IFE (or if it does but the IFE is broken and/or charging $8 per movie).
Old Aug 20, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
It depends on the length of the flight and time of day. For something under 2 hours I don't care much, but on a 4-5 hour flight it's fairly meaningful to me, especially if I forgot to download something to watch on my ipad. I'll say this, when booking some flights of 3+ hours in the past I've taken a 1-2 hour later/earlier flight to be on a plane with IFE (knowing that I'll usually get upgraded and be in F where it was already free).
Old Aug 20, 2016, 4:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
There's not much value for reasons already stated in this thread. However, when you don't have your trusty iPad then it's what you're willing to pay in that event. For me, I'm willing to forgo entertainment even for a 5 hr flight. However, I'd probably draw the line for TPAC or TATL flights. But then again, these routes have different standards for IFE altogether.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (but always US in my heart), HH Diamond
I think it is nice...I don't have or want an iPad and sometimes it is nice to see something other than the movies I have seen a million times on my iPod on its teeny screen.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I value it
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I never use it, so no value to me. But I'm glad it is there for those who want it.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 7:51 pm

$3 per flight, on average. I'm not in the habit of downloading my own movies so I appreciate a preloaded onboard selection.

That said, I would not pay to watch anything in flight, even if it was $0.01. So, depending on your economic school of thought, my valuation may also be $0.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I probably would have paid $10-20 to watch the 3-5 movies each way to Sydney. But probably nothing other than that type of situation - I can handle up to 5 hours on my own.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:32 pm

I value it enough to consider choosing flight times based on its availability. The music channels primarily. Those are not yet available on any domestic carrier's streaming IFE as far as I know.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If this problem's been fixed (and the movie is now available free):
a lot. If it's still not fixed after all this time (or if they simply removed it), then not at all.

Old Aug 21, 2016, 5:21 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I value it a lot more on international flights when I don't have Gogo. There is something so important and relaxing about popping on a great movie, eating a good (yes, I know...) meal, and having a drink in hand. It truly sets the mood for my trip, especially on vacation.

In the rare occasions in the past when I have been stuck in trans-con Y, and had not enough room to work thanks to AA's flimsy/too small tray tables in exit rows, I've paid for the wi-fi on the A321S. Of course, I didn't really pay, since my IFE fee was re-imbursed by the Amex Platinum.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Zero.

I bring my own IFE on board. I can't rely on the airline to provide IFE.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I like and use it. It is more comfortable not having to pull out my laptop. I have occasionally paid for it but only on very rare occasions.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
I pretty much only use it on international flights, especially in coach ... there are generally a few movies I wanted to see but missed on it ... and the older movies are nice. I did a James Bond marathon on a flight to HKG earlier this year. On long flights it is nice to not have anything on my lap if I want to take a nap/not having my charging cable tangled, having the tray free for meals and drinks

Domestic flights, I just load my tablet

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.