Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 19, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Boeing 757-200 CIP with Rockwell Collins Aerospace Diamond Parallel J seat

The first AA Boeing 757-200 with 16 Rockwell Collins (B/E Aerospace) Diamond Parallel seat in business class entered service on September 1, 2016. These replaced the "NGBC" seats used in the "75L" transatlantic 757, and the B/E Aerospace / Rockwell Collins Diamond seat is the same used in the A321T three class transcon in business class.

The Diamond shell seat in the horizontally flat position is not quite long enough for tall people. Those over six feet /183 cm will find they need to sleep in a drawn up legs. The window side seat foot well is narrower than the aisle seat foot well, and the window side will not accommodate two large (13 or European 46) size feet. Window seat passengers will have to step over the aisle seat passenger if that person is sleeping reclined flat.

See the American Fleet Site (not AA affiliated) here for state of fleet conversion.

The new configuration is 16 Business, 160 combined (108) Main Cabin and (52) Main Cabin Extra seats. There are 24 remaining (all Legacy American Airlines) 757-200s converted to the “75L” “international” version.

(There are 10 Legacy US Airways “East” 757-200s converted to 12F/176Y (including MCE) Hawaii service aircraft, based in PHX.) All other AA 757-200s have been withdrawn from AA service.

There is no in seat AVOD or WiFi served IFE installed on these planes (tablets are distributed to Business passengers along with B&O noise-reducing headsets on International flights).

In flight Panasonic satellite-based WiFi is offered for a fee.

The seat in Y have been reupholstered with "pleather", a plastic-based simulated leather.

J has two 5 1.1 amp VDC USB ports and 110 VAC universal power ports at each seat. MCE has power.

See post #1 or #123 for photographs (courtesy of CMK10 and Australian Business Traveller)

Historical:

Link to CONFIRMED: American’s First Boeing 757 International Lie Flat Business Seat Being Installed Now, by Gary Leff on August 19, 2016. Photos.

See here for Interior Photos

Print Wikipost

AA 757 "75L" with R/C - B/E Diamond Business seat (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Last week on KEFDFW they handed out the tablets, which come with gigantic AC adapters, that for both my spouse and and me did NOT provide charge. It’s a ramshackle IFE solution, most certainly.
SouthernCross and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 6:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by enviroian
Spectacular clarity.
Stated in the Wikipost at the top of the page. AA added newer lie flat seats, updated power options and chose not to add updated IFE installations because, like the 763s, these are headed to ROW ultimately.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
They hand out tablets along with the Bose/B&O headphones
Tablets! Lol like when UA handed out movie players in their GF 10 years ago.

By the way the seat is horrible lie flat. Your feet are crunched and the headrest does not move so while a 6’1” person like me can fully extend their legs but only when your head is moved above the headrest making it very uncomfortable.

Note to self: never fly AA J in a 757 ghetto bird.

ETA the 77W, 772, 788/9 J cabins are light years above that 757 crap.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Last edited by enviroian; Jun 14, 2019 at 9:56 pm
Old Jun 14, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
Tablets! Lol like when UA handed out movie players in their GF 10 years ago.

By the way the seat is horrible lie flat. Your feet are crunched and the headrest does not move so while a 6’1” person like me can fully extend their legs but only when your head is moved above the headrest making it very uncomfortable.

Note to self: never fly AA J in a 757 ghetto bird.

ETA the 77W, 772, 788/9 J cabins are light years above that 757 crap.
If you must, you must. And

The window side seat foot well is narrower than the aisle seat foot well, and the window side will not accommodate two large (13 or 46) size feet.
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JDiver
Stated in the Wikipost at the top of the page. AA added newer lie flat seats, updated power options and chose not to add updated IFE installations because, like the 763s, these are headed to ROW ultimately.
All planes on all airlines are heading to ROW (or similar desert airport) eventually. AA just cheaped out.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
Any comment on the best seats in business on this aircraft? I'm flying DFW-KEF in August. I've read the thread and noted that the window seat has less foot well space but there are two of us so can't avoid that. I did read that row 1 has more foot well space but to me it looks like that applies to the aisle as the window seat looks to be encroached up by the curvature of the fuselage... I'm also fairly sensitive to galley noise and light so I would think row 1 would be a poor choice for me. Any difference in row 2 or 3 at all?

Last edited by MorganB; Jun 28, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MorganB
Any comment on the best seats in business on this aircraft? I'm flying DFW-KEF in August. I've read the thread and noted that the window seat has less foot well space but there are two of us so can't avoid that. I did read that row 1 has more foot well space but to me it looks like that applies to the aisle as the window set looks to be encroached up by the curvature of the fuselage... I'm also fairly sensitive to galley noise and light so I would think row 1 would be a poor choice for me. Any difference in row 2 or 3 at all?
We did that flight in 2A, 2B last year. I take ear plugs and a sleep mask - always. I’d get something to eat in the Flagship Lounge, and try for some kip - zeds - sleep because you’re into KEF relatively early and it’s better IMO to get brekkie on the plane, be ready to hit the archaic terminal, wait forever for baggage, etc.

See Guide to KEF / Reykjavik-Keflavik Airport, Iceland) for Information on KEF / Keflavik International Airport.

Iceland restaurant suggestions?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 28, 2019 at 2:57 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Any comment on the best seats in business on this aircraft? I'm flying DFW-KEF in August. I've read the thread and noted that the window seat has less foot well space but there are two of us so can't avoid that. I did read that row 1 has more foot well space but to me it looks like that applies to the aisle as the window set looks to be encroached up by the curvature of the fuselage... I'm also fairly sensitive to galley noise and light so I would think row 1 would be a poor choice for me. Any difference in row 2 or 3 at all?
No difference in row 2 or 3. As a pair, just pick any aisle/window combo in row 2 or 3 and you'll be fine. If you say you're sensitive to galley noise then go with row 3.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I thought row 1 was the best due to more leg room?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donotblink
I thought row 1 was the best due to more leg room?
Yes, but the OP stated preference for another row than the bulkhead row.
MorganB likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp. Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum.
We did that flight in 2A, 2B last year. I take ear plugs and a sleep mask - always.
Thank you for the advice. I also always travel with a sleep mask. I will give earplugs a shot. Usually fall asleep with noise cancelling headphones on but when the galley door slamming starts for breakfast service I always wake up.

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No difference in row 2 or 3. As a pair, just pick any aisle/window combo in row 2 or 3 and you'll be fine. If you say you're sensitive to galley noise then go with row 3.
Row 3 it is! Thank you. As an aside thanks again for your SWU advice. I ended up booking the tickets directly in business as at 7 weeks out there were only two seats open after my seats were taken so seemed very unlikely that I would get an upgrade. Will make up the cash by booking hotels with points as much as possible. The SWU advice will be useful in the future as I still have my 4 to burn.

​​​​​​​
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Yes, but the OP stated preference for another row than the bulkhead row.
oops, missed that
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. I also always travel with a sleep mask. I will give earplugs a shot. Usually fall asleep with noise cancelling headphones on but when the galley door slamming starts for breakfast service I always wake up. ..

​​​​​​​
Noise canceling headphones and earbuds are best on continuous wave form signals like engine noise. They’re not very good with transient sounds like door slams, galley noise, baby cries, etc.

Sound blocking earplugs attenuate all sounds. Mack’s ear plugs, for example, are economical and reduce all sound 32 dB NRR. (I use Etymotic sound blocking earbuds for their convenience and effectiveness on continuous and transient sound, decent music etc. reproduction and I can side sleep wearing them. Not to mention in the case they fit my shirt pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.