Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2017 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 16, 2016, 2:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
2017 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (as of 16 Nov 2016)

For the 2018 AAdvantage program year thread, see 2018 Program Year Elite Status Buy back / Buyback / Renew / Boost (master thd) .

"Grace" for those close to completing status requirements has not been offered since AA began the buyback / renew / boost program.

In previous years, AA (and US) have offered those who failed to requalify for elite status the opportunity to buy back or "boost" status for the following status year. That offer is extended for the 2017 programme year, and is be discussed here. E-mails have gone out to many members (16 Nov) with tailored offers.

Complied a list of people's offers here. List is current up to post #51
Code:
 Status   EQM      Offer
 GLD    PLT    PTP    EXP  
 EXP      99k                           $1299
 EXP      99k                           $1799
 EXP      97k                           $1299
 EXP      96k                           $1499
 EXP      96k                           $1299
 EXP      93k                           $1799
 EXP      92k                           $1799
 EXP      92k                           $2099
 EXP      92k                           $1799
 EXP      91K                           $1799
 EXP      89k                           $2499
 EXP      89k                           $2499
 PLT      88K                           $2499 
 PLT      87k                           $2499
 PLT      87K                           $2499
 EXP      8k       $799   $1479
 PPRO   81k      $899
 PLT      56k             $799
 PLT      48.2K           $799
 PLT      48.5K           $699
 PLT      46K             $799
 PLT      43K             $1479
 PLT      41k             $899
 PLT      34k             $1299
 PLT      39k             $1299
 PLT      31k             $1479
 PLT      25k             $1479
 PLT      19k      $599   $1479
 PLT       5K      $699   $1299
 PLT      0               $1479
 GLD      15k      $749
 GLD      13k      $649
 GLD      19k      $499
 GLD      6k       $799
 GLD      8k       $699
 none     0        $749
Thanks to several members adding information.

To read what each status tier offers, see:

What are AA Gold / GLD Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (link)

What are AA Platinum / PLT Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (link)

What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (link)

What are AA Executive Platinum / EP / EXP Benefits? Are they worth it? (Master thd) (link)

For the thread discussing last year's programme, see this thread.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2017 Program Year Elite Status Buyback / Renew / Boost (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Alnola
Looks like I will be about 4k miles short on EQMs to re-qualify for Platinum. In the past AA had made the offer to let those just short of qualifying the opportunity to buy their re-qualifying status.

Any word on this for this year?

Thanks,

Alnola
The offer usually doesn't come out until after the year is over, so we won't know.

In the past it was much cheaper to fly the 4k miles. There's a few weekends left for a mileage run!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines/ExPLT/Milion , Hilton, Hertz 5 Star
So being Plat, I would need a fare or fares of about $500 total at 8 miles per dollar?
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
So being Plat, I would need a fare or fares of about $500 total at 8 miles per dollar?
Nope - you are thinking about RDM miles. EQM are distance flown (times a multiplier - which for AA coded flights is always at least 1.0 - higher for premium cabins.) You need 4k EQM miles - and you still have a 500 minimum guarantee for EQM on AA.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
The offer usually doesn't come out until after the year is over, so we won't know.

In the past it was much cheaper to fly the 4k miles. There's a few weekends left for a mileage run!
Actually, the Elite Boost offers tend to come out in mid-November. I would expect to see something within a couple of weeks. Last year's came out on November 17th --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...lidated-4.html
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by upinsmoke

Per this post, last year's buy-up offer for a PLT in the same situation as the OP was $699.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25734220-post61.html

There is no guarantee that AA will make an offer or that it will be the same price, but I don't see why they wouldn't. As the OP needs to fly 4,000 BIS miles (or 2,000 if booked on discount first), IMHO it's questionable whether it's a better deal to do an MR. At best, you burn a whole day, and you do have some costs beyond the fare that you pay. Even if you could do it for $500, I'd rather spend the extra $200 and not have to sit in a plane all day.

Of course, different people value their time differently, so the OP has to make that call.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Seems as though the OP should be able to fly 4K EQMs for well less than $500, particularly if he can fly mid week. I'd say go to googleflights now with your available dates to travel and find the cheapest flight, or flights to get the EQMs you need.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, United Premier Silver, Marriott, Miles & More, Trueblue
Looks like I will be about 4k miles short on EQMs to re-qualify for Platinum. In the past AA had made the offer to let those just short of qualifying the opportunity to buy their re-qualifying status.

Any word on this for this year?

Thanks,

Alnola
I definitely recommend that you go on a quick mileage run before the end of the year. You can fly ORD-SFO and back in a day for about $200 (multiple dates available in Dec.) and earn over 4,000 EQMs, enough to re-qualify for your valuable status, if you opt to have a layover (ie. DFW) one way. AA has ORD-SFO roundtrip nonstop for $120 which is a great deal, but would only yield 3,692 EQMs.

AA may announce an offer for elites to "buy" their re-qualifcation in the coming weeks, but it will most likely cost you over $600 which in my opinion is not worth it. Also, with all of the recent changes to the AAdvantage program I would not rely on them to announce the same offer!
Old Nov 8, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: us air, delta, american
Buy up status

In the past, if you were close to the next level, you could buy up the next level. I have not seen that on the new American site. Do they still do this, and if so, can someone point me to the link. Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2016, 1:51 am

Purchasing Elite Status

Does anyone have any idea if American Airlines will offer the opportunity for one to purchase the next level up in elite status, like they have done in past years? I will be about 10,000 EQMs short of retaining Platinum status.

Thx
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:04 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
AA hasn't announced this yet, so no one has any real information. But based on that they offered this for the past four years I`d say it's highly likely.
There's a 2017 status buyback thread already (where I believe your post will be moved soon) - check it out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Extend your elite status to 2017

Just got an email offer. $2499 for EXP.

Pass, will get there anyway by EOY.

https://elite.americanairlines.com/e...LO|EBU15E|BUBB

Boost your status

You can boost to the next level if you're within 15,000 Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) or 18 Elite Qualifying Segments (EQSs) of your desired status based on your 2016 activity. Plus, you’ll start enjoying your benefits in five business days.

Renew your status

If you weren’t able to retain your AAdvantage Gold or AAdvantage Platinum status, you can renew your status to begin on March 1, 2017.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Currently sitting at ~15K EQM (next trip will push me over 25k) - offer to keep Gold was $749.

No thanks AA, you can keep your crappy status and new and improved unfriendly policies in 2017. Maybe I'll see you, maybe I won't.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:42 am

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
Interesting, my offer for EXP was $1799 - could be because I am only 8100 miles away now (1st year in over 10 that I didn't hit EXP, big difference in experience for upgrades etc.. since I travel during peak business travel times). Definitely makes more sense for me to keep flying and if necessary do a winter break mileage run to get over the finish line.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA ExPLT
I just received this offer too, but for $1,499. Doesn't seem to be very good targeted marketing since I am less than 4,000 miles from requalifying and have a business class ticket to Europe booked for the end of the month and another transcontinental ticket for the start of December. I would clearly make it on my own.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:45 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by stewlevine
Interesting, my offer for EXP was $1799 - could be because I am only 8100 miles away now (1st year in over 10 that I didn't hit EXP, big difference in experience for upgrades etc.. since I travel during peak business travel times). Definitely makes more sense for me to keep flying and if necessary do a winter break mileage run to get over the finish line.
I am about 12k short right now, which probably explains the discrepancy in price. I am flying 5k on Fri, interesting to see if my offer changes. New game of "deal or no deal"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.