Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 13, 2016, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Impossible, Illogical and Duplicate Bookings
"American Airlines specifically prohibits practices commonly known as: (in part)

"Duplicate and impossible/illogical bookings: Duplicate or impossible/illogical American Airlines bookings are prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines. A duplicate or impossible/illogical booking includes, but is not limited to, bookings for the same passenger on flights traveling on or about the same date between one or more of the same or nearby origin and/or destination (such as JFK to DFW and LGA to DFW or DFW to LAX and DFW to ONT), or bookings with connections that depart before the arrival of the inbound flight."

Also please note: "Fraudulent, fictitious and abusive bookings: Fraudulent, fictitious and/or abusive bookings are prohibited. These types of bookings are defined as any bookings made without having been requested by or on behalf of the named passenger. Additionally, creating bookings to hold or block seats for the purpose of obtaining lower fares, AAdvantage award inventory, or upgrades that may not otherwise be available, or to gain access to airport facilities, or to circumvent any of American Airlines' fare rules or policies, is prohibited without prior authorization from American Airlines."

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage
Link to Sep 2010 thread announcing AA issuance of rules pertaining to this issue.
Print Wikipost

Duplicate, impossible and illogical bookings on AA (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This. There is no fee to cancel. It will simply cost the change fee to use it. The general reason not to affirmatively cancel is that the flight might be cancelled or significantly delayed by AA. In that case, you would be due a refund. But, here, no reason to chance anything.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
This. There is no fee to cancel. It will simply cost the change fee to use it. The general reason not to affirmatively cancel is that the flight might be cancelled or significantly delayed by AA. In that case, you would be due a refund. But, here, no reason to chance anything.
Do you mean I cancel the last segment only? I do need the first two segments and they are quite separated in time.
As an example, Segment 1 is in September. Segment 2 is in February, and Segment 3 is in April.
I had been hoping for a schedule change, but as I do need to ticket my new April flight, can't wait for a schedule change and/or until after I've already flown Segments 1 & 2
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Do you mean I cancel the last segment only? I do need the first two segments and they are quite separated in time.
As an example, Segment 1 is in September. Segment 2 is in February, and Segment 3 is in April.
I had been hoping for a schedule change, but as I do need to ticket my new April flight, can't wait for a schedule change and/or until after I've already flown Segments 1 & 2
Yes, cancel the last segment only. After you have flown the first 2 segments, pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel it. You will not be charged anything or hit with any fees or anything like that (only if you tried to rebook it later would you be charged a change fee).

But as mentioned above, it will be no problem to book the new LAX-Europe flight now, even if it's the same date as your other 3rd segment. For 2 paid reservations that are fully ticketed, AA will not arbitrarily cancel one of them just because it happens to fall on the same day as another one.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yes, cancel the last segment only. After you have flown the first 2 segments, pull up your reservation at aa.com and cancel it. You will not be charged anything or hit with any fees or anything like that (only if you tried to rebook it later would you be charged a change fee).

But as mentioned above, it will be no problem to book the new LAX-Europe flight now, even if it's the same date as your other 3rd segment. For 2 paid reservations that are fully ticketed, AA will not arbitrarily cancel one of them just because it happens to fall on the same day as another one.
This is not accurate - AA will likely call you and ask which segment you want to take if you have illogical bookings. If you aren't lucky, they may choose one themselves and cancel it. But do not think for a second that you can keep them both ticketed for any substantial length of time.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
This is not accurate - AA will likely call you and ask which segment you want to take if you have illogical bookings. If you aren't lucky, they may choose one themselves and cancel it. But do not think for a second that you can keep them both ticketed for any substantial length of time.
Happy to be proven wrong if anyone can provide an example of this actually happening, but until then this is nothing more than FT myth and hearsay.

As long as both bookings are paid (not award), and both bookings are fully ticketed (not on hold), then AA is not going to arbitrarily cancel one of them just because they fall on the same date. They are just happy to have your money for both.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:05 pm

Happy to be proven wrong if anyone can provide an example of this actually happening, but until then this is nothing more than FT myth and hearsay.

As long as both bookings are paid (not award), and both bookings are fully ticketed (not on hold), then AA is not going to arbitrarily cancel one of them just because they fall on the same date. They are just happy to have your money for both.
But AA isn't getting money for the MIA-XXX flight, they are losing money compared to a purchased XXX-LAX-MIA ticket, so I don't know if they will, but they certainly have a motive to cancel the new flight.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 9:36 pm

It's personally happened to me - they called and asked which flight I would be taking. That's how I know.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:47 am

It's personally happened to me - they called and asked which flight I would be taking. That's how I know.
Was your frequent flyer number linked to both flights?

If one person has two flights, but only one is linked to their AA profile, then that means that AA would have to cross reference basic demographic information (e.g. full name, dob, address, phone, email, etc.) in their system to identify a duplicate booking. It would be interesting to know if the system is that smart?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What were the details of your flights?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:09 pm

What were the details of your flights?
It was a few years ago in the fall -

Had a work ticket booked that I forgot about then I booked a personal trip on the same day to a different location (both domestic out of DCA). AA called a few days before to ask me which I was going to take and were really helpful in changing the work trip to the next week without charging a fee (just the difference). I was EXP at the time.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
It was a few years ago in the fall -

Had a work ticket booked that I forgot about then I booked a personal trip on the same day to a different location (both domestic out of DCA). AA called a few days before to ask me which I was going to take and were really helpful in changing the work trip to the next week without charging a fee (just the difference). I was EXP at the time.
It seems this is the common theme with a lot of the duplicate bookings.
However, my potential situation is a bit more scattered. I would have a flight MIA-XXX(South America) and then possibly another flight LAX-XXX(Different Continent) for the same day, but departing a few hours apart.

I wonder if their system will still locate and cancel?

I might end up just booking on another OW carrier to avoid any issues.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
It seems this is the common theme with a lot of the duplicate bookings.
However, my potential situation is a bit more scattered. I would have a flight MIA-XXX(South America) and then possibly another flight LAX-XXX(Different Continent) for the same day, but departing a few hours apart.

I wonder if their system will still locate and cancel?

I might end up just booking on another OW carrier to avoid any issues.
If you don't have your AA number in one of the records, it's possible the software won't find it. Same thing if you do. I just know from my experience and understanding is that there is the possibility of them finding the impossibility and canceling one. Flat out saying that they won't find it or don't care is all I'm warning against.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 7:37 pm
Suspended

If you don't have your AA number in one of the records, it's possible the software won't find it. Same thing if you do. I just know from my experience and understanding is that there is the possibility of them finding the impossibility and canceling one. Flat out saying that they won't find it or don't care is all I'm warning against.
Correct.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Duplicate bookings due to codeshare

I searched but couldn't find anything. I booked a CDG-LAX round-trip using www.americanairlines.fr/ (the AA France website). One of the legs (JFK-LAX) is a BA code. Checking on AA.com I had two reservations 1) the full itinerary, and 2) one for just LHR-JFK-LAX. The first one includes flight numbers as booked, the second one has the the BA flight to JFK and the connecting AA flight to LAX, but with the AA code. This allows me to select seats on that leg via the website. Great feature!

The problem arises in that I cancelled that itinerary within 24-hours of booking and rebooked for different days. The full itinerary PNR no longer displays, but the second one does. It shows and Unknown status and a header of "Please call to book your trip Contact Reservations or call your travel agent to ticket and pay for your trip." If I use the "cancel trip" button it comes back with "We’re unable to cancel your trip online. Please contact your travel agent or the airline that made your original reservation."

AA phone rep says it shows as cancelled on their end. How do I remove this from my trips?
My new reservation also has two PNRs associated with it, so it must be the new normal.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
Lol, the booking is extremely complicated reservation system-wise. You booked a BA (Amadeus) codeshare flight operated by AA (Sabre), on AA France (Amadeus) website.

you can remove the trip by going to your membership account, select my trip, and remove I believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.