Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Free WiFi Streaming IFE on Personal Devices (with App) 08/2016, expansion

Old Jan 25, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA IFE Free WiFi Streaming to App on Personal Devices

AA announced on 24 Jan 2017 that, as 90% of passengers are flying with personal devices with screens capable of WiFi use, free WiFi streaming of music and movies in some domestic / narrowbody aircraft mid-2016. This streaming is currently available on a subset of AA aircraft, and is being expanded.

As of the new Boeing 737 MAX aircraft due to arrive in 2017, seatback IFE will be substituted by free, streaming high-quality movies and music from an on board server.

As well, much of AA current GoGo based WiFi internet (using cellular telephony technology) will change to (paid) ViaSat satellite Ku band WiFi internet providing access speedy enough it will allow video streaming. This transition will be finished in 2019.

Both will be available from gate to gate.

Seatback IFE monitors will be retained on
  • Airbus A321T three Class aircraft
  • Airbus A330
  • Airbus A350
  • Boeing 777
  • Boeing 787
The remaining Boeing 737-800s (and A321 / 32Bs) will be delivered with seatback AVOD. See New AA 738 with audio video on demand / AVOD began flying 18 Dec 2013

"Other key things to remember:
  • This year we take delivery of 40 current-generation Boeing 737 and Airbus A321 aircraft. They will arrive with seatback monitors and power at every seat

• By the summer of 2018 we will have completed installation of the faster satellite-based Wi-Fi on half of our narrowbodies, with all of them done by the end of 2019

• We expect 50 percent of our domestic narrowbody aircraft to be equipped with power at every seat by the end of 2018, and over 85 percent equipped by the end of 2020"
Print Wikipost

Free WiFi Streaming IFE on Personal Devices (with App) 08/2016, expansion

Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
App for streaming?

Does anyone know what they mean by "the latest version of the American Airlines app"? I assumed the mobile app (where you see upcoming flights, etc) at first, but they mention this app is for phones, tablets and laptops. I haven't tried to stream on the plane in a long time so I'm probably just out of the loop on this... Regardless I don't see anything about streaming on the mobile app, last I remember it was accessing through a browser.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
What's funny to me is the "See What's Playing" page still shows listings for July. I tried to check for an upcoming LAX to SYD flight and noticed this.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
What's funny to me is the "See What's Playing" page still shows listings for July. I tried to check for an upcoming LAX to SYD flight and noticed this.
I am pretty sure they do this so when you watch a great movie, sleeping on and off, you can go back and check what it was. That's clearly the most logical answer
Old Aug 9, 2016, 6:14 pm

Does this change anything on the TATL 767-300 in coach? As far as I know, there is no wifi, so no free entertainment.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by britz
Does anyone know what they mean by "the latest version of the American Airlines app"? I assumed the mobile app (where you see upcoming flights, etc) at first, but they mention this app is for phones, tablets and laptops. I haven't tried to stream on the plane in a long time so I'm probably just out of the loop on this... Regardless I don't see anything about streaming on the mobile app, last I remember it was accessing through a browser.
It's this app. If you try to stream through gogo it'll ask you to download the app (which you can do for free without paying for WiFi.)
Old Aug 9, 2016, 7:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by zitsky
Does this change anything on the TATL 767-300 in coach? As far as I know, there is no wifi, so no free entertainment.
No WiFi so only the overhead screens sadly.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Djokison
It's this app. If you try to stream through gogo it'll ask you to download the app (which you can do for free without paying for WiFi.)
And this appears to be the Android version.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Been checking for the same exact flight and getting frustrated too it hasn't updated!
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
No WiFi so only the overhead screens sadly.
I will load up some movies and TV shows on the sd card in my android phone and watch that. Then I'll recharge the phone with my portable battery.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 7:10 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
My experience is more on the inconsistency in implementation in regards to the IFE.

Case in point, this past weekend we did ORD-SAN roundtrip. both planes where 738 with original AA colors, and they where WIFI equipped. AA2528 on Friday's departure, and AA1296 on Sunday's return.

On Friday's departure, there where at least 3 free movies to watch, which I did since I've already seen the actual movie being played on the overhead monitors, Hail Ceasar. I ended up watching Batman vs Superman.

On the return on Sunday, there was a problem with the video portion of the movie for the overhead monitors and I opted to see the other free movies being offered via IFE, there was nothing, no free entertainment. I found it odd. We where in first class both ways if that makes any difference.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:01 pm

Lo, saw that too, contacted AA Twitter feed, no answer. More excellent up to the minute AA service...

Originally Posted by zitsky
I will load up some movies and TV shows on the sd card in my android phone and watch that. Then I'll recharge the phone with my portable battery.
I have one of these,
http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/consume...wireless-plus/

So we can all stream music, movies and tv shows from it at the same time

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 26, 2017 at 10:14 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts as if multiquoted
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:08 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by britz
I assumed the mobile app (where you see upcoming flights, etc) at first, but they mention this app is for phones, tablets and laptops.
I see a link just to Android and Apple apps, but nothing about how any streaming can be done to laptops.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Djokison
Awesome, thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:56 pm

New IFE on personal device.

Has anyone had any experience with the new "FREE" personal device IFE? How does it work? Does it activate only when you're on-board? I have the AA app and don't see a link to it anywhere?
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:59 pm

You have to be connected to inflight wifi.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.