Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Aborted landing / unexpected go-around experiences and discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aborted landing / unexpected go-around experiences and discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:23 am

SAN- CLT

Landing aborted and go-around originally due to another aircraft lingering on the runway. The pilot said we would go around and land shortly thereafter. However, after about 45 minutes in holding pattern and an increase in altitude, pilot reports that there was an indication that the main landing gear brakes could fail and that an emergency landing would be necessary. Passengers had to review safety card, locate nearest exit and BRACE! Luckily, we landed and the pilot was able to safely slow the aircraft down and taxi to the gate.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
He is my experience on an aborted flight - IIRC it was a SJC/SFO-ORD flight. Love the power of the old AA Mad-Dogs!

Old Aug 12, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Only one time and it was on AA. Mid 90's a 727. Landing at MCO on a WDW vacation. Over the run way about to bump and then full power and straight up and steep bank. Still remember the loud whine of the engines and the force. A bit unnerving. After we leveled off pilot announced that another aircraft had crossed the runway. Opps.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by TDinero
SAN- CLT

Landing aborted and go-around originally due to another aircraft lingering on the runway. The pilot said we would go around and land shortly thereafter. However, after about 45 minutes in holding pattern and an increase in altitude, pilot reports that there was an indication that the main landing gear brakes could fail and that an emergency landing would be necessary. Passengers had to review safety card, locate nearest exit and BRACE! Luckily, we landed and the pilot was able to safely slow the aircraft down and taxi to the gate.
I bet that got the blood pumping a little bit!
Old Aug 13, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
In the early 2000's I was on an AA MD-80 coming into BWI during high winds and storms. We were on final approach very near the ground and getting blown around badly. I was in 1A and heard the automated warning, "Pull up! Pull up!" Since that's the last thing you hear on the voice recorder whenever you watch a documentary about a plane crash, my heart was in my throat. As you may guess though, we did pull up and I lived to tell the tale.

The pilot announced that winds were too high and we were diverting to DCA. However, we ended up circling for 30 minutes until the pilot announced that we were going to give BWI another try. We blown around just as badly as the first try, but somehow this one was OK.

When I was a teenager in the 70's, I was on an IB 747 landing at JFK. We were all waiting for the wheels to touch when the engines spooled up and we pulled out. We seemed to be darn close to stall speed, and it was quite a while before the pilots could retract the flaps. My dad was a pilot, and he estimated that we were about 400' AGL when the transition occurred. The pilot told us a truck crossed the runway.

Last edited by coolcoil; Aug 13, 2016 at 8:42 am
Old Aug 13, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
only 1 aborted landing/go around. Landing at SNA during Santa Ana winds in a 757, so landing from over the ocean to the east. Heavy winds, and the plane was all over the place. About halfway down the (short) runway, one of the wheels touched, then full power and steep climb for a go around. On the second attempt, the pilot slammed the plane down hard, for which she apologized. We forgave her.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Go Around: AA 1164 DFW-LGA on Aug. 14

I have experienced go around on landing more than few times, but last Sunday was first time experienced two go arounds on one flight.

AA 1164 DFW-LGA A321 on Aug. 14Name:  AA1164 08-14.png
Views: 1722
Size:  112.3 KB
First Attempt:
Landing was on Runway 31, coming from south fly over Brooklyn with view of Manhattan to left, make right turn to see LGA on left, then make sharp 180 turn above 1964 World Fair site.

We were making final 180 turn into Runway 31, engines picked up and we started ascent, go around. Pilot told us that last minute LGA changed the landing pattern on us. We flew above LGA and made left turn flying above East River.

Second Attempt:
Made sharp left turn at East River. Looked like we joined the landing pattern for LGA for the second time. Same landing attempt into Runway 31. This time we made 180 turn into Runway 31. Looked like we were going to land, then engine picked up and started ascent, another go around. This time pilot told us that controller put us back on landing pattern too fast and pilots did not have time to go through all landing procedure and check list.

This time flew up north along Hudson River to near Yonkers then made right turn. Made circle along northern edge of Bronx and came out above LGA. Pilot told us they asked controller to give us little more time this time around. After evening thunder storm at NYC area, clear view and even pilot told us to enjoy the view.

Third Attempt:
This time we flew low toward Manhattan, flew over central park. Never had this landing pattern flying into LGA or any NYC airports that I can recall. Made slight left turn before Hudson River to head south. At this left turn had clear great view of Chryslers Building, Met Life Building (former Pan Am Building), that new narrow pointy stick-like condo building immediate south of Central Park, and clear nice view of Time Square neon lights in the evening on left side of aircraft. I was little surprised we were flying that low over Manhattan, really could see top of Met Life building and top of that narrow pointy sticky condo high rise up close. According to FlightAware we were flying between 3,900 – 3,300 ft. around that area, that pointy stick-like condo building is 1,400 ft., so we were flying close to just twice the height of those buildings.

At southern end of Manhattan, somewhere above Liberty Island made left turn to Brooklyn to join the landing pattern again. This time we everything looked like what I have experienced landing into Runway 31 at LGA previously. We landed this time.

At beginning of decent into LGA pilot told us we should be landing around 9:10p.m. We finally got into the gate past 9:50p.m.

I have to say the view of New York City area flying that low during an evening gave us great view of Manhattan skyline. 15 minutes helicopter tour around Manhattan is around $200. Felt like got that tour for free past Sunday night.

I understand, it was not fun for people who wanted to get home or to the destination as soon as possible. This was LAA 321 with Google flight path display on individual entertainment screen. After landing I saw many passengers taking a picture of our flight path picture above New York City on Google flight path.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
I was riding on AA into MSP and we had to do two go arounds simply for traffic. And just the other day, I had to do a go around into RAP as a Cessna decided to cut us off. He was instructed to follow us. I was calm about it. The tower controller was pretty mad at him, and I'm pretty sure that pilot made a mess when we buzzed a few hundred feet above him.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
I was once flying CLT-JFK and fell asleep during the takeoff run in CLT. I closed my eyes and opened them to the familiar sensation of taking off, except it was now nighttime and I could see New York in the distance. In my groggy state, I briefly worried if I had somehow been missed during the turnaround and had accidentally stayed on board for the next flight, until the captain came on the PA to explain the reason for the go-around.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
YYZ-PHL in a CRJ200. I was flying home early because I was ill, specifically nausea, so we cancelled my meetings that day and took a morning flight back. Wind was high and swirling so the approach was not pleasant. We were over the runway before the power-up to go around occurred. Needless to say, I grabbed the airsick bag but wasn't the only one doing so. I held it together but it was close.

Later that day was US1702, which didn't make it off the airfield. The winds weren't the cause there but it was not a good day to be flying at PHL.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Gold
Recent trip from DFW-CDG on AA48. We aborted our landing within a few seconds of touchdown due to aircraft not cleared from Runway 27R. Second attempt was without incident.

Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
AA 1316 DFW PDX on 30 Jan had a go around. Approach didn’t feel right, pilot pulled up and turned slightly to north alternating gunning the engines then applying what felt like air brakes. Ran the lat-long coordinates and the plane was slightly over the terminal and sort of positioned between runways then turned to south for the go around an non-eventful and successful second try. I’ve had go arounds before but it appeared that the pilot’s initial maneuvers over the field felt more evasive than the other six.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Had one coming into LGA a couple of years ago. It was mostly interesting as we could see people in the windows of the adjacent building watching us land and then not land. Since we were pretty close to the ground, having the buildings nearby provided an unnecessary reference point for the abort. In SAN, which has lots of nearby buildings our pilot tried to land the plane 2 or 3 times but was thwarted due to tailwinds. He gave it one last try (next choice was to go to a different airport) and we landed. A few deserving claps...
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
I had a night time touchdown at SAN back in the ‘80’s which diverted to LAX due to winds. It took another six hours and a crummy bus ride to get back to SAN.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Quite a few years ago when I was a UA flyer. Full throttle on take off, at rotation it felt like we hit a truck. I tried looking out the window, nothing. But the aircraft immediately crabbed to the side, only one engine thrust. Climbed to what seemed like 2000 feet, then held.

Did a slow circle around the airport, pilot came on and said we were returning. Like an immediate U-turn.

Crash positions, etc. Got out the phone and tried to call my wife....got the answering machine.

Landed uneventful, but 8 or 9 fire trucks were parked along the taxiway connectors to the main runway, followed us to a stop.

Two guys in the silver heat suits came out to check the engine. Turned out it was a contained engine failure.

UA gave us all 5000 miles.

Last edited by Exec_Plat; Feb 1, 2019 at 10:55 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.