Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners (obsolete posts)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The active thread is HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM AA, Partners 2017

Moved from the Wikipost for that thread:

HISTORICAL INFORMATION: AA announced Award Miles earnings would change "sometime during the second half of 2016", with some implications the changes would come in late 2016 - perhaps even at the beginning of 2017. Later, indications were possibly September 2016, more probably October (see below). On June 6, AA announced the new scheme would take effect 1 Aug 2016.

Originally Posted by Fernando_BR
(2 May 2016)

Hi everyone,

This is what I´ve read on a Brazilian blog.

The blogger met Suzane Rubin *link to PDF on the T-Mobile Arena, and posted that she told him that they would not change before September, and probably only in October, with a 1-month notice. (N.B. Suzanne Rubin retired from AA "early summer" 2016.)

I have a booked roundtrip Sao Paulo to Dallas in August, so I hope he is right and this information helps !

I don´t know him, but I follow his blog. You can check it (in Portuguese):
http://www.mestredasmilhas.com/2016/...ards-2016.html

(Reformatted for wiki use.)

"Agora vamos às novidades. Tive o privilégio de conversar particularmente com a Suzane Rubin, e a equipe do AAdvantage, e já posso adiantar algumas informações aqui. Eles me confirmaram que a mudança para revenue não irá ocorrer antes de setembro, mas com data provável em Outubro deste ano, e com pelo menos 1 mês de aviso prévio. Também o crédito de pontos será na data do voo, ou seja, se você compra uma passagem agora, e voa somente em dezembro, provavelmente irá receber pontos, e não milhas pela distância voada."

Translated:

Now for the news. I had the privilege to talk particularly with Suzanne Rubin and the AAdvantage team, and I can share some advance information here. It was confirmed to me that the change to revenue (based earning) will not occur before September, but [U]with a probable date in October [U]this year, and with at least one month's notice. Also the credit points will be for the date of the flight, or if you buy a ticket now, and fly only in December, will probably get points, but not (Award / Redeemable) miles by distance flown.
Suzanne Rubin announced her retirement soon after, and the Award Miles earning scheme was actually introduced 1 August 2016. The changes were announced on 6 June 2016.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners (obsolete posts)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2016, 5:19 pm

Earning RDM once AA goes revenue based

I know that once AA goes revenue based, earning RDM is a factor of your ticket cost (ranging from x5 to x11, depending on membership tier).

Does this apply only for coach tickets or also for international Business / First tickets?
Old May 6, 2016, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It will apply to all. Would not be very nice if 1st / business was limited based on flown miles rather than fare, since they have a good chance of being well ahead
Old May 6, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If it is an issue, perhaps book on a different carrier or credit to another scheme
Having yesterday booked a trip starting 1 October I will be doing exactly that although the ability to change up to time of travel remains a useful option.
Old May 10, 2016, 4:52 am

Second half of the year mileage earning changes

I emailed aadvantage asking from what day the changes will be effective and got the following reply:

---------------------------------
Currently, we are not able to provide you with an exact date of when the
change will be in affect. Once we will have the exact date, we will send
out a email to you.

Am trying to plan some mileage runs before the switch and would like to plan.
Anyone can shed some light? Second half to me sounds like July1?
Old May 10, 2016, 5:04 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If AA cant provide a definite answer, why do you think that someone here in FT, who is not related to AA, can provide you a better answer. To me, I would try to get the MR prior to the second half of 2016 and hope for the best. It has been announced for some time that mileage earning will change by second half 2016, just don't know exactly when.
Old May 10, 2016, 5:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by AAbruflyer
I emailed aadvantage asking from what day the changes will be effective and got the following reply:

Currently, we are not able to provide you with an exact date of when the
change will be in affect. Once we will have the exact date, we will send
out a email to you.

Am trying to plan some mileage runs before the switch and would like to plan.
Anyone can shed some light? Second half to me sounds like July1?
No need for multiple threads on the same topic; I'll merge this into the extant thread discussing the new earnings scheme.

~Moderator
Old May 10, 2016, 9:05 am

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
I wonder how AA is going to handle the OneWorld "special fares" like xONEx and xGLOBx?

Both AA and partners?

Happy wandering

Fred
Old May 10, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Any theories on a flight that is outbound say Sept 28th and returning on Oct 4th, with the changeover date being October 1?
Old May 10, 2016, 7:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Effect on my mileage accural when AA switches to revenue based earning

AA says it will introduce the revenue-based earning system in the second half of 2016, but what if I have a ticket bought in May with the departure in May and return flight in September. Could it be that my earnings with be mileage based for the departure flight and revenue based in the return flight (since technically there will be a fare breakdown on each lag in the details of the ticket)? What do you guys think will be the most likely result? (Since it's May and there hasn't been any updates from AA yet. Hope it won't just hit overnight like that cancellation of 24hr hold policy...)
Old May 10, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Yes. Tickets will earn award (redeemable) miles based on whatever earnings formula is in effect at the time of travel.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by fcontinuum
AA says it will introduce the revenue-based earning system in the second half of 2016, but what if I have a ticket bought in May with the departure in May and return flight in September. Could it be that my earnings with be mileage based for the departure flight and revenue based in the return flight (since technically there will be a fare breakdown on each lag in the details of the ticket)? What do you guys think will be the most likely result? (Since it's May and there hasn't been any updates from AA yet. Hope it won't just hit overnight like that cancellation of 24hr hold policy...)
The updated information, a quote from Suzanne Rubin, is indicative of the earnings change coming in October, after a month's prior notification. And what will count is when you travel, not when you purchased. (See the wikipost at the top of this page.)

This is why we recommend searching prior to posting: the information sought is often already at hand.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: LH HON
I've been in touch with AAdvantage team as I have not received elite milage bonus for a OW partner flight this month. I've received a surprising answer:

We are sorry but effective February 25, 2016, flights on SriLankan
Airlines no longer earn elite bonus miles.
Could this be a foreseeable step in regards to the RDM overhaul that is going to happen?
Old May 12, 2016, 9:41 pm
Suspended

When does revenue based mile accural start?

Been searching here and other places online but no answer seen.

When do flights start being credited based on fare paid? I want to book for mid July but I will try to avoid the new system as long as possible by flying on other airlines.

When will it start?
Old May 12, 2016, 9:43 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
It has not been announced.

Merging with existing discussion on new mileage earning scheme. /Moderator
Old May 17, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Bumping this up, any new info out there???? Thinking I'll book one last trip to Bangkok in August, but want to make sure it's good to go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.