Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award: Moved from first class to coach on award ticket due to maintenance issue

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold

I was likely to miss my connection yesterday heading home from ORD, as my initial flight was delayed due to a maintenance issue. As a result, I went to the counter (had to check a bag, anyway) and spoke with the lady in the premier line. She had to get 3 people to help her from time to time, but she put me on a direct flight (good news!) home.

I had purchased (via miles) a first class ticket but had to fly in coach, as this is all that was available. It was 22B on an A321, so it certainly was OK. However, one of the four agents who helped me said that they would call the Advantage desk and ask them to refund miles to me.

I have a feeling that they were busy and didn't do it. I have not seen a refund, although it is early.

What can I expect on this? I had shown up at the airport with every intention of taking the flights on which I was booked. Since it was a maintenance issue, I don't think they could claim that this was my fault. Should I get a partial refund of miles, since I did not get what I "paid" for?

I need to think of a strategy if I need to call Advantage later this week.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fill out the web form on AA.com, or I think you can even call AAdvantage Customer Service. They should refund the mileage difference, assuming the entire (one-way) journey was in coach. I don't anticipate they will give you any problems.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Same experience about a week ago, called the Advantage desk and I saw the miles refunded to my account before I hung up the phone.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Very encouraging. Thanks. I will call them tomorrow once I get caught up from my last trip.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by lexicon77
Same experience about a week ago, called the Advantage desk and I saw the miles refunded to my account before I hung up the phone.
That is encouraging. I am still waiting for them to refund the price of my daughter's connecting flight from 2 weeks ago. It is still being investigated.....
How hard is this. She was flying SJC-ORD-PIA.. Due to delays she switched the last flight to ORD-BMI.. That got delayed and then canceled, so I drove to ORD and picked her up.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
That is encouraging. I am still waiting for them to refund the price of my daughter's connecting flight from 2 weeks ago. It is still being investigated.....
How hard is this. She was flying SJC-ORD-PIA.. Due to delays she switched the last flight to ORD-BMI.. That got delayed and then canceled, so I drove to ORD and picked her up.
Not sure how that has anything to do with this thread.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Fill out the web form on AA.com, or I think you can even call AAdvantage Customer Service. They should refund the mileage difference, assuming the entire (one-way) journey was in coach. I don't anticipate they will give you any problems.
Bet you could use Twitter for this request too.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I had something similar happen. They refunded the mileage difference for me, but I was told it was a "one time exception" only.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

I spoke with the desk, and she refunded 12,500 miles promptly. Fairly painless, although I wish that the agent at ORD would have taken care of this like she promised.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great!
Old Aug 5, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: Bellanca Turbo Viking, AA Gold/Plat
Originally Posted by chrisphx
I spoke with the desk, and she refunded 12,500 miles promptly. Fairly painless, although I wish that the agent at ORD would have taken care of this like she promised.
you really think a gate agent is going to do that?

if a gate agent does not do what they say they are going to do with you standing there - its not going to happen.

I've been a royal pain to gate agents because I insist they do what they say they are going to do while I am standing there - because its not going to happen three hours later - when they are off shift and not being paid any longer and you're not standing in front of them -

What I say - very politely is:

"I understand your promise to contact the AAdvantage Desk later, but you have taken no notes, no personal or flight info, so after you work this flight and 4 others I doubt you will remember my name, much less the flight number and aadvantage number, so I am perfetly happy to wait here while you complete this transaction now so you don't have to try to recall to do it later . . ."

Yes - I get 'the look,' but it gets done. . . .
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yikes, I'm not sure how you can say that "very politely".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.