Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Seat issues are not uncommon between finding, holding, booking and during the interim between booking and flying. There may be various reasons this can happen.
Seat assignments Link
  • We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
  • You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
Seat held, changed or gone at booking: One member theorizes a held seat may be taken by a positive purchase by another passenger. But it could be due to another factor listed below.

Disability designated seat: Some seats are assigned preferentially to people with disabilities, and their companions, under the Air Carrier Access Act. Even some non-disability seats may be required for a person with a disability in some conditions.

"American blocks a limited number of seats on each aircraft to accommodate customers who identify themselves as having a qualified disability. Adjacent seats are provided, under certain circumstances, for customers with disabilities who must travel with a companion for assistance."

Flight nearly full: Once a flight has reached certain capacity guidelines, no further seats will be assigned. This leaves airport staff room to deal with the needs of persons with disabilities, no shows, delayed connections, etc.

Boarding pass scan fail: Sometimes a boarding pass scan fails (listen for the "Beep!") and your seat may register as no show, so another, later Passenger or standby gets your seat too.

Equipment change: AA Information Technology's very inefficient at these. You may have selected a Main Cabin Extra as an elite, yet a change from one aircraft subtype with differently numbered seat rows to another and you may find yourself moved from your carefully selected MCE aisle seat to a middle seat in one of the last rows. Aircraft substitutions from one type to another (77W to 772 or v. v.) or even "downgauging" (767 to 757) may occur - this will generally result in unanticipated seat changes.

Equipment malfunction: A seat may not be available on a specific flight because it was reported as malfunctioning and has not been repaired yet.

Crew rest seat: Some seats are contractually required to be set aside for resting crew, on flights of specific lengths.

Federal Air Marshal ("FAM"): FAMs are generally accommodated in the highest class of service in seats that are often popular with passengers. These accommodations may occur at any time, and by law AA must both comply and not reveal to passengers the reason for their seat loss or change. That's correct: AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was given to a FAM, so you will only hear implausible and made up reasons of how you lost your seat.

Passengers seated in the front cabin (or front of the cabin in single cabin and class aircraft) may occasionally find themselves displaced from their seat without any notice or comment, displaced to a less favored seat or even downgraded to the next lowest class of service. Contacting AA may provide answers as to "why" that don't make sense, multiple or non-specific reasons. These will often mean your seat has been requisitioned by a Federal Air Marshal (FAM).

Q. Why won't AA tell me why I lost my seat?

AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was requisitioned by a FAM or otherwise revealing there is a FAM on board or where they might be seated. FAMs are supposed to blend in with passengers. At best, you may be told "it's a security issue"; that's usually a confirmation of a FAM seat requisition.

Q. Can I get "unFAMed"?

There is no way to recover your original seat if it has been requisitioned by a FAM; you have no recourse other than to work with the AA system to seek a better available seat, or even reaccommodation on another flight with available and similar seating.

Q. Can I get compensated for losing my seat?

You can request fare differences, compensation and certainly get upgrade instruments reinstated if you were displaced to a lower class of service. You will not be eligible for compensation if your seat was changed within the same class of service (even if you are now separated from travel companions), however, as if you book a specific seat, a specific seat is not guaranteed by American Airlines.

Q. What is a FAM, anyway?

A Federal Air Marshal is a specially trained plain clothes anti-terrorism law enforcement officer of the Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), "a United States federal law enforcement agency under the supervision of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS)." (Wikipedia)

Q. What is a FAMs specific job?

"The Air Marshal Service is meant to promote confidence in civil aviation by effectively deploying federal air marshals (FAMs) to detect, deter, and defeat hostile acts targeting the United States." (TSA)
Other: AA might be required to seat a passenger with a small child together, displacing another passenger. There may be other reasons as well.

It is suggested you regularly check your itineraries to deal with route and flight changes (often unannounced) and seat changes (always unannounced).

Link to thread detailing use of Twitter for contact with AA (some have used for seat loss remediation)
Print Wikipost

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Two likely scenarios like mentioned above. Most likely to me is probably crew rest for a pilot. Secondly and almost as likely to me is FAM seat.

I flew MIA-BCN on old 777 (16F) config last year. 1A was blocked off for the whole flight, a pilot came out and ate dinner and watched TV for about an hour, but rest of the time it remained unused.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CloudCoder
The AA Mobile App gives notifications whenever a seat is changed.
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
It does? That's news to me. Do I have to enable something? I had seats changed on a PBI-CLT flight due to an equipment change and had I not looked at the reservation to get the fight number, I would never have known...
My understanding is that the mobile app notifies you if your seat changes after you are already checked in. But not for future reservations.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
In answer to the original question, yes. My experience has been that AA does reassign seats often when the tickets are purchased several months in advance. I have only received notice when it was a schedule or equipment change.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
Two likely scenarios like mentioned above. Most likely to me is probably crew rest for a pilot. Secondly and almost as likely to me is FAM seat.

I flew MIA-BCN on old 777 (16F) config last year. 1A was blocked off for the whole flight, a pilot came out and ate dinner and watched TV for about an hour, but rest of the time it remained unused.
I do not believe the contract provides for crew rest on flights under 8 hours (which would include LHR-JFK), so FAM is more likely.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:15 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Three times DFW-OKC I have been blown out of my beloved MD-80 3E by the same guy.

He is a paraplegic, truly wounded in Viet-Nam, who does significant travel (rumor has it at his own expense) for Disabled Veterans causes all over the country. He takes the seat under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). I am humbled, and happy to give him my seat, and will sit anywhere on the plane, including the john.

(2nd time this happened, I was in 4B, he was in 3E (my old seat). I asked him if we have an emergency evacuation, did he want me to grab him on the way out. He said "Thanks. Only if you have the time". ^)
ADA doesn't apply directly to airlines in the USA; the Air Carrier Access Act of 1986, codified as DOT rules (Title 14 CFR Part 382).

Originally Posted by SpurMan
Booked on the 107 in October LHR to JFK, and when I booked the flight back in May, I selected 1A as my seat (I'm in F).

Happened to look at the booking today, and I'm in 1D!. No notice of the change, which would have been nice at least, and no other seats available in the cabin, so I can't change to a window

It's only a 6 hour flight, and I do like a window, but it's not the end of the world. But usually I would expect some sort of alert my seat had changed. Do AA not do this? I'm usually on BA. Do AA block certain seats now like BA do for their elites, and I've been moved beacuse of this? (1A and 1K on BA 747s are reserved for Gold card holders for example). Does look like a genuine full cabin though, which makes moving me odder.
The Wikipost at the top of the page details AA's IT inadequacies on this issue and the reasons why passengers might find their previously assigned seat has been changed. If you were displaced by a Federal Air Marshal, they're forbidden to tell you that.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
Might have been an FAM needing the seat. If so, then just enjoy 1D.
Originally Posted by wetrat0
I do not believe the contract provides for crew rest on flights under 8 hours (which would include LHR-JFK), so FAM is more likely.
A FAM is more likely to take an aisle seat to have better view/access up/down the aircraft. If I were to put money on it, I'd say maybe a CK that prefers a window. And, Yes, AA says they don't swap seats, but from reading these posts, I think it is more they don't publicize the fact.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I booked a BA ticket with the first segment on AA back in June. The BA site linked me over to the AA site where I selected my seat in MCE. I monitored it over the last few months, and the seat assignment remained intact up through yesterday.

OLCI began yesterday, and since I need a visa for where I'm headed I wasn't able to do it. I called both BA and AA, both said that my ticket was fine. Neither could do anything by phone, just saying to head to the airport to get boarding passes.

Arrived at AUS earlier. The check-in agent took care of everything, scanned my passport, looked through my visa paperwork, etc. She then printed out boarding passes, and for the AA flight it gave me 36F. I can't remember the last time I've been that high. When I asked about a better seat, her reply was, "check at the gate."

Since I have lounge access, I asked the lounge agent here at AUS if there was anything she could do. She gave me several options, and I took one. She then looked through the record to see what happened. She said, "BA put in a request for your seat, but AA never acknowledged that. I know BA does that for us sometimes..."

Thankfully I got a decent seat, and the AA segment is just AUS-DFW, so not really worth getting too upset over. But just wanted to warn others, just in case.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RogerD408
A FAM is more likely to take an aisle seat to have better view/access up/down the aircraft. If I were to put money on it, I'd say maybe a CK that prefers a window. And, Yes, AA says they don't swap seats, but from reading these posts, I think it is more they don't publicize the fact.
If it's a FAM, so be it. I'll look out for a burly bloke looking like one of the Statesmen from the new Kingsman film.

What's a CK?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by SpurMan
What's a CK?
ConciergeKey, the highest elite level in the AAdvantage program.
SpurMan likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver
Question No Seat Selection LAX-JFK. What happens?

Hey Guys,
was just wondering. My mom has a flight in MC from LAX to JFK in January and there are no more free seats available for reservation. What happens if she has no reserved seat and all the MC seats are gone? Will she automatically get a MCE seat or will she be IDB´d(or even upgraded)? Just wanted to check in advance, because we want to travel together, but she doesn´t want to pay an additional 85$ for a seat, if she doesn´t have to. She has no status with AA, but will be OWR or maybe even OWS by the time she is on that flight.

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers
EDDMflyer
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
She will be assigned a seat from:

- one of the ten or so seats that AA saves for assignment by the gate agent

- one of the no-shows who has a seat assignment

- (less likely) ungraded to MCE
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
She will be assigned a seat from:

- one of the ten or so seats that AA saves for assignment by the gate agent

- one of the no-shows who has a seat assignment

- (less likely) ungraded to MCE
or one of the preferred seats that is not MCE.........
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Like the above said. I will also add, be sure to have her check-in exactly 24hrs before the flight online. That way, even if she doesn't have a seat assignment she would be one of the first people on the list to get one at the gate. If online is not an option, just be sure to have her at LAX checking in 2 hours prior then.

Don't stress and think just because she doesn't have an assigned seat that she will likely be bumped. AA blocks off a lot of seats in advance for purchase, for elites, for special services, and people with infants etc.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
OWE /R /S and companions on same reservation get access to preferred seats. If you are not on the same PNR, then have her FF number refreshed after obtaining OW status. If preferred seats are still available she will be able to select at that time.

As others said, without a seat in advance she may be able to select at check in or would be assigned one at the gate.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 2:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
FWIW, just to contribute to the involuntary/unannounced seat change discussion, I booked an 10/17 LAX-LHR RT in March and used a SWU in May to upgrade both outbound and inbound legs from J to F. On both flights I selected 2J (my favorite 77W F seat). Lo and behold, I checked my reservation today and I am now in 1J on the inbound leg. I received no notification of the change. I specially choose 2J over 2A as it is much less likely to get FAM'd being on the opposite of the aircraft without a view of the cockpit door. Also unlikely (but I suppose possible) to be a FAM as I am still 3 weeks out from departure. Same aircraft type, so that isn't the issue either.

It's not a big deal as I am fine with 1J (I don't try to sleep east bound so could care less about the galley), just wanted to note for the record that AA is changing seats and doing so without notification. I know they are technically free to do so , I just thought fellow's FTers would appreciate the heads up and reminder that it's always a good idea to check your seat reservations in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.