Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Seat issues are not uncommon between finding, holding, booking and during the interim between booking and flying. There may be various reasons this can happen.
Seat assignments Link
  • We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
  • You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
Seat held, changed or gone at booking: One member theorizes a held seat may be taken by a positive purchase by another passenger. But it could be due to another factor listed below.

Disability designated seat: Some seats are assigned preferentially to people with disabilities, and their companions, under the Air Carrier Access Act. Even some non-disability seats may be required for a person with a disability in some conditions.

"American blocks a limited number of seats on each aircraft to accommodate customers who identify themselves as having a qualified disability. Adjacent seats are provided, under certain circumstances, for customers with disabilities who must travel with a companion for assistance."

Flight nearly full: Once a flight has reached certain capacity guidelines, no further seats will be assigned. This leaves airport staff room to deal with the needs of persons with disabilities, no shows, delayed connections, etc.

Boarding pass scan fail: Sometimes a boarding pass scan fails (listen for the "Beep!") and your seat may register as no show, so another, later Passenger or standby gets your seat too.

Equipment change: AA Information Technology's very inefficient at these. You may have selected a Main Cabin Extra as an elite, yet a change from one aircraft subtype with differently numbered seat rows to another and you may find yourself moved from your carefully selected MCE aisle seat to a middle seat in one of the last rows. Aircraft substitutions from one type to another (77W to 772 or v. v.) or even "downgauging" (767 to 757) may occur - this will generally result in unanticipated seat changes.

Equipment malfunction: A seat may not be available on a specific flight because it was reported as malfunctioning and has not been repaired yet.

Crew rest seat: Some seats are contractually required to be set aside for resting crew, on flights of specific lengths.

Federal Air Marshal ("FAM"): FAMs are generally accommodated in the highest class of service in seats that are often popular with passengers. These accommodations may occur at any time, and by law AA must both comply and not reveal to passengers the reason for their seat loss or change. That's correct: AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was given to a FAM, so you will only hear implausible and made up reasons of how you lost your seat.

Passengers seated in the front cabin (or front of the cabin in single cabin and class aircraft) may occasionally find themselves displaced from their seat without any notice or comment, displaced to a less favored seat or even downgraded to the next lowest class of service. Contacting AA may provide answers as to "why" that don't make sense, multiple or non-specific reasons. These will often mean your seat has been requisitioned by a Federal Air Marshal (FAM).

Q. Why won't AA tell me why I lost my seat?

AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was requisitioned by a FAM or otherwise revealing there is a FAM on board or where they might be seated. FAMs are supposed to blend in with passengers. At best, you may be told "it's a security issue"; that's usually a confirmation of a FAM seat requisition.

Q. Can I get "unFAMed"?

There is no way to recover your original seat if it has been requisitioned by a FAM; you have no recourse other than to work with the AA system to seek a better available seat, or even reaccommodation on another flight with available and similar seating.

Q. Can I get compensated for losing my seat?

You can request fare differences, compensation and certainly get upgrade instruments reinstated if you were displaced to a lower class of service. You will not be eligible for compensation if your seat was changed within the same class of service (even if you are now separated from travel companions), however, as if you book a specific seat, a specific seat is not guaranteed by American Airlines.

Q. What is a FAM, anyway?

A Federal Air Marshal is a specially trained plain clothes anti-terrorism law enforcement officer of the Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), "a United States federal law enforcement agency under the supervision of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS)." (Wikipedia)

Q. What is a FAMs specific job?

"The Air Marshal Service is meant to promote confidence in civil aviation by effectively deploying federal air marshals (FAMs) to detect, deter, and defeat hostile acts targeting the United States." (TSA)
Other: AA might be required to seat a passenger with a small child together, displacing another passenger. There may be other reasons as well.

It is suggested you regularly check your itineraries to deal with route and flight changes (often unannounced) and seat changes (always unannounced).

Link to thread detailing use of Twitter for contact with AA (some have used for seat loss remediation)
Print Wikipost

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Old Aug 25, 2018, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by drvannostren
I would've thought the HOLD was only for the fare/price, not the seats. I would never have counted on those seats unless they were already bought and paid for.
I'm not sure what you are referring to but if you put an itinerary on hold and choose seats then they show as allocated on the seat map in an anonymous schedule check.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 1:10 am
C46

Originally Posted by smuDC-10
Obviously, if it was an Air Marshal they wouldn’t have moved me back. When I boarded the plane, I looked to see who was sitting in the window seat that I had temporarily been assigned and it was a young woman in her twenties. My guess was that she may have been a family member of someone high up at AA although I will never know for sure.

Because all FAMs are Linebacker-type males!?
One of the first lessons in aviation security is: NEVER ASSUME!
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
We were a party of 3 booked SFO-PHL in paid F – seats 1CDF. F was full several weeks before the flight. Eleven days before the flight, I noticed my nephew (in 1F) had lost his seat and yet F was still full. I called about it and was told that the seat was “taken out of inventory.” The agent was coy and I figured that meant the seat was given to a FAM. A couple of days later, a couple cancelled their flight as 2 F seats opened up. I grabbed one for my nephew and the other seat remained open until near the flight date. I ended up moving myself into 1D next to who I suspected was a FAM in 1F. During the flight my seatmate consumed no alcohol – only water. My seatmate was in his 30s and very fit. During the flight, my seatmate asked me how I got into F and I said that I paid for it. I asked him how he got F and he said that AA called him the night prior and asked him if he would like to upgrade to F! My seatmate claimed to be flying for business in PHL and that he worked for an unnamed startup in SFO. All in all, I cannot be sure if he was truly a FAM, but my gut says that he was. Not that it matters. I just find the whole thing interesting.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by apeortdz
We were a party of 3 booked SFO-PHL in paid F – seats 1CDF. F was full several weeks before the flight. Eleven days before the flight, I noticed my nephew (in 1F) had lost his seat and yet F was still full. I called about it and was told that the seat was “taken out of inventory.” The agent was coy and I figured that meant the seat was given to a FAM. A couple of days later, a couple cancelled their flight as 2 F seats opened up. I grabbed one for my nephew and the other seat remained open until near the flight date. I ended up moving myself into 1D next to who I suspected was a FAM in 1F. During the flight my seatmate consumed no alcohol – only water. My seatmate was in his 30s and very fit. During the flight, my seatmate asked me how I got into F and I said that I paid for it. I asked him how he got F and he said that AA called him the night prior and asked him if he would like to upgrade to F! My seatmate claimed to be flying for business in PHL and that he worked for an unnamed startup in SFO. All in all, I cannot be sure if he was truly a FAM, but my gut says that he was. Not that it matters. I just find the whole thing interesting.
Would an air marshall take a window seat? That seems unlikely. I assume this was an aircraft on which F is a window?
TWA884 likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by C46
Because all FAMs are Linebacker-type males!?
One of the first lessons in aviation security is: NEVER ASSUME!
I’m not wanting to argue or split hairs but do you think AA would’ve/could’ve given me back my original aisle seat after I complained and then bumped a FAM to a window seat without direct aisle access??? I am sure there are plenty of younger female FAMs out there however I believe that wasn’t the case on my flight.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by ashill

Would an air marshall take a window seat? That seems unlikely. I assume this was an aircraft on which F is a window?
I know. But 1F has easy access to the aisle since it is a bulkhead. He easily stepped over me to get to the lavatory
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:50 pm

Location: JFK, LAX, LHR, DUB, MIA, ORD, MAD - heavy travel to all
Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
Pre-selected Seats have Disappeared

Hey everyone,

Did a quick glance on the boards but haven't seen my issue posted anywhere (yet).

1. Booked Rewards flights LAX-EDI via LHR and back (not as RT but as individual one-way tickets) back in March

2. Pre-selected 2J on both long-haul legs

3. Last week or so(?) my pre-selected seats were removed from both itins and AA.com and customer service can't pre-select a seat for me

4. I asked customer service agent on the phone 3 days ago what happened and her answer was "I don't know ... maybe they are changing aircraft." She was at a loss for words and was extremely helpful in trying to get an answer and said "you'll have to get your seats the day of travel."

5. But I haven't noticed any aircraft change yet

6. Oct 18 #136 and Oct 25 #135 are my two long-haul flights on the itin

Has anyone had this issue with their seats being cancelled; therefore, being unable to pre-select?

Thanks ...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Many options, aircraft swap, or perhaps, FAMed as in an Air Marshal being in your seat or a VIP. For the last 2 they do not need to tell you. as for the first one, some do, some don't. Remember, seats assignment are not guaranteed. What did AA said when they couldn't book a seat for you, I can only presume that they told you to go to the airport early to get seat assignment. I see that that they are still selling seat for those flights. I would keep pressuring AA to get you seats, or accommodate you on another flight.
nhila and decabea like this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:18 pm

Programs: EXP: 2014, 15, Final 7 Mo of 16, and all of 17 (soon to be '19-20). Big Bonvoy Users
The CS agent placed me on hold, called the rewards desk(?) and I was on hold probably 20 mins. She came back on the line 2 times to apologize for the delay. Ultimately, she did say I had to simply wait for the day of the flight (both ways), as she wasn't able to get a definitive answer. While I understand that shizzle happens ... I haven't experienced this before - esp with a rewards ticket booked so far out in advance.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:13 pm

I had a somewhat similar situation occur in August (SFO-PHL) but the very next day seats opened up and all was OK.
My advice is to watch Expert Flyer carefully and act when you see availability.
nhila likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by nhila
Ultimately, she did say I had to simply wait for the day of the flight (both ways), as she wasn't able to get a definitive answer.
If there are no other seats and a couple of weeks pass, I would strongly recommend avoiding until the day of the flight to address this or you may find yourself in the unhappy position of a forced downgrade.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by enpremiere
If there are no other seats and a couple of weeks pass, I would strongly recommend avoiding until the day of the flight to address this or you may find yourself in the unhappy position of a forced downgrade.
Oooopha. I was thinking of driving down to LAX and talking to a Live human being in person. Thoughts?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:32 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Checked the loads on your flights...your outbound on Oct. 18 is currently at F0 A0, meaning seats are all sold. They also seem fully allocated. My guess is you've been bumped by a FAM, and you'll likely be downgraded on day of travel to J. You may want to call back and politely request a reroute on BA, which has both an earlier and later departure with F availability. AA should be able to force that inventory even under their own code, although being an award ticket might make that tricky.

Your return leg still shows two empty seats in F; go online and grab one ASAP.

This is an issue that seems to happen with some regularity. I've personally experienced it once, and eventually it worked itself out on day of departure due to a no-show in F. But the more frequent outcome is a downgrade to J. They'll compensate you miles and probably some extra customer service gesture. It's a terrible management of what should be the carrier's most exclusive and premium product. They don't seem to treat it that way, sadly.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Oooopha. I was thinking of driving down to LAX and talking to a Live human being in person. Thoughts?
For sure don't waste your time with that, an airport agent will not be able to accomplish anything here for a flight a month away.

If the outbound is sold out in F, then I would call back and ask to be moved over to a BA option, as mentioned above. You will probably have to HUCA and/or escalate to a supervisor. And do not let AA try to hit you with the BA surcharges. This is an AA screw up and they need to fix it. Alternatively, you could also look at a connection with F space on AA, like LAX-JFK-LHR-EDI, etc.

For the return, if there are seats left, go grab one now.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: CK or bust
No need and you're not going to find much help at the counter. You can have them move you to BA flights (do not accept any suggestion that they should charge you) for the one that you lost seats on and don't listen to folks suggesting that it's too far out to make the change. I would recommend requesting either requesting an F 321T routing via JFK (in fact why not enjoy a free <24 stop in JFK to break it up) and confirmed F seats on the 77W to LHR.

Today's travel environment does not reward the passive; if you see a change like this, take the bull by horns (a single call will do it) and make your point.

Please report back with your results!
arollins and GWFan like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.