Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Seat issues are not uncommon between finding, holding, booking and during the interim between booking and flying. There may be various reasons this can happen.
Seat assignments Link
  • We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
  • You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
Seat held, changed or gone at booking: One member theorizes a held seat may be taken by a positive purchase by another passenger. But it could be due to another factor listed below.

Disability designated seat: Some seats are assigned preferentially to people with disabilities, and their companions, under the Air Carrier Access Act. Even some non-disability seats may be required for a person with a disability in some conditions.

"American blocks a limited number of seats on each aircraft to accommodate customers who identify themselves as having a qualified disability. Adjacent seats are provided, under certain circumstances, for customers with disabilities who must travel with a companion for assistance."

Flight nearly full: Once a flight has reached certain capacity guidelines, no further seats will be assigned. This leaves airport staff room to deal with the needs of persons with disabilities, no shows, delayed connections, etc.

Boarding pass scan fail: Sometimes a boarding pass scan fails (listen for the "Beep!") and your seat may register as no show, so another, later Passenger or standby gets your seat too.

Equipment change: AA Information Technology's very inefficient at these. You may have selected a Main Cabin Extra as an elite, yet a change from one aircraft subtype with differently numbered seat rows to another and you may find yourself moved from your carefully selected MCE aisle seat to a middle seat in one of the last rows. Aircraft substitutions from one type to another (77W to 772 or v. v.) or even "downgauging" (767 to 757) may occur - this will generally result in unanticipated seat changes.

Equipment malfunction: A seat may not be available on a specific flight because it was reported as malfunctioning and has not been repaired yet.

Crew rest seat: Some seats are contractually required to be set aside for resting crew, on flights of specific lengths.

Federal Air Marshal ("FAM"): FAMs are generally accommodated in the highest class of service in seats that are often popular with passengers. These accommodations may occur at any time, and by law AA must both comply and not reveal to passengers the reason for their seat loss or change. That's correct: AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was given to a FAM, so you will only hear implausible and made up reasons of how you lost your seat.

Passengers seated in the front cabin (or front of the cabin in single cabin and class aircraft) may occasionally find themselves displaced from their seat without any notice or comment, displaced to a less favored seat or even downgraded to the next lowest class of service. Contacting AA may provide answers as to "why" that don't make sense, multiple or non-specific reasons. These will often mean your seat has been requisitioned by a Federal Air Marshal (FAM).

Q. Why won't AA tell me why I lost my seat?

AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was requisitioned by a FAM or otherwise revealing there is a FAM on board or where they might be seated. FAMs are supposed to blend in with passengers. At best, you may be told "it's a security issue"; that's usually a confirmation of a FAM seat requisition.

Q. Can I get "unFAMed"?

There is no way to recover your original seat if it has been requisitioned by a FAM; you have no recourse other than to work with the AA system to seek a better available seat, or even reaccommodation on another flight with available and similar seating.

Q. Can I get compensated for losing my seat?

You can request fare differences, compensation and certainly get upgrade instruments reinstated if you were displaced to a lower class of service. You will not be eligible for compensation if your seat was changed within the same class of service (even if you are now separated from travel companions), however, as if you book a specific seat, a specific seat is not guaranteed by American Airlines.

Q. What is a FAM, anyway?

A Federal Air Marshal is a specially trained plain clothes anti-terrorism law enforcement officer of the Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), "a United States federal law enforcement agency under the supervision of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS)." (Wikipedia)

Q. What is a FAMs specific job?

"The Air Marshal Service is meant to promote confidence in civil aviation by effectively deploying federal air marshals (FAMs) to detect, deter, and defeat hostile acts targeting the United States." (TSA)
Other: AA might be required to seat a passenger with a small child together, displacing another passenger. There may be other reasons as well.

It is suggested you regularly check your itineraries to deal with route and flight changes (often unannounced) and seat changes (always unannounced).

Link to thread detailing use of Twitter for contact with AA (some have used for seat loss remediation)
Print Wikipost

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It seems AA unleashes it's seat reassignment process anytime there is an equipment change, even if it's for like equipment. It's too bad they can't/won't teach it to consider previous assignment as a component of picking the new seat and maybe even look to desired preferences. But then maybe they do and pick something opposite.

Unfortunately, I doubt tools like EF's seat monitor will notice your assigned seat coming available before it gets reassigned to a new pax.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 7:57 am

moved from 1st to coach (not even MCE)

DFW-BOS and I just received a call that there was an AC swap (looks to be same 757 just less seats in first) and that I would be moved back to coach which is what I booked. But then I'm moved to regular coach, not even MCE. What? I was also upgraded several days ago, so I'm not sure how I got selected...I get the situation, but to not even put an EXP in MCE is crazy. Needless to say, I'm not happy.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Not sure whether this is the correct forum but I have a weird situation. I'm booked on SYD to LAX flight 72 on May 7. I paid J but used an SWU to upgrade to F. Ever since I upgraded I could not choose a seat because of an equipment swap in progress. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. I've called in to the help desk twice and both times they say that it's just an equipment swap in progress (I believe that's the terminology they say). When I try to change it online it just says "unable to display requested seat map for this flight". Any thoughts here? I'd like to have a seat assigned sooner rather than later.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Seat changed no notication

I booked a paid first class round trip itinerary six weeks ago and chose my preferred seats. While checking to see if there had been any time/flight changes today I noticed that my aisle seat was now a window seat. I called the airline and they couldn't find a reason for the change. When I asked to get my seat re-assigned and to give the person the window seat they didn't want to do that. I chose these flights because someone will be picking me up at the airport and because of work they couldn't get there any sooner. I'm not a happy passenger.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
AA is notorious for changing peoples' seats. There could have been an aircraft swap, a Federal Air Marshall may have requested your seat. It could have been a "system glitch." Anything is possible.

Seat assignments are not guaranteed, and the AAgent was correct in not giving you someone else's seat assignment, regardless of the circumstances surrounding you losing that assignment.

Keep an eye on the seating chart. You may find an aisle between now and departure time.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by derby44
I booked a paid first class round trip itinerary six weeks ago and chose my preferred seats. While checking to see if there had been any time/flight changes today I noticed that my aisle seat was now a window seat. I called the airline and they couldn't find a reason for the change. When I asked to get my seat re-assigned and to give the person the window seat they didn't want to do that. I chose these flights because someone will be picking me up at the airport and because of work they couldn't get there any sooner. I'm not a happy passenger.
Sounds like your seat was changed for "security reasons." Especially because you've been booted to the window and they don't particularly care to tell you why.

AA is typically pretty good about not changing seats due to demands from other passengers.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EP
fyi, they don't notify you if your seat has changed. You need to stay on top of it. anytime u only find out about it is if you get a reissued ticket with a schedule change.
Old May 4, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
The seat was changed two days ago. Wouldn't they have already had a seat assigned to Air Marshall? There is no equipment change. It doesn't seem that they would have changed anything even if I had noticed it sooner. Very frustrating.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by josmul123
AA is notorious for changing peoples' seats. There could have been an aircraft swap, a Federal Air Marshall may have requested your seat. It could have been a "system glitch." Anything is possible.

Seat assignments are not guaranteed, and the AAgent was correct in not giving you someone else's seat assignment, regardless of the circumstances surrounding you losing that assignment.

Keep an eye on the seating chart. You may find an aisle between now and departure time.
I don't believe this is accurate. Absent an equipment change (for which AA is not notorious - other airlines also change seats when your seat no longer exists - funny how that works), it is almost always a FAM.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The seat was changed two days ago. Wouldn't they have already had a seat assigned to Air Marshall? There is no equipment change. It doesn't seem that they would have changed anything even if I had noticed it sooner. Very frustrating.
No, the airline gets notified when they get notified usually it would be a matter of days (or less) before the flight. At that point they have to boot people out of the seats.
Old May 4, 2016, 5:57 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Now you get to annoy another passenger throughout an entire flight, instead of being constantly disturbed for whatever reason. Therefore, don't feel bad about it.

I used to do a lot of aisle. Now I do window only: I get control of the shades and I don't get disturbed.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by sbrower
I don't believe this is accurate. Absent an equipment change (for which AA is not notorious - other airlines also change seats when your seat no longer exists - funny how that works), it is almost always a FAM.
Hmm...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-my-seats.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...servation.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rding-etc.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ned-check.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...favor-exp.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...available.html

I'd argue that within the scope of this forum, AA has notoriety for changing peoples' seats, and I stand by my previous comments.
Old May 4, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by josmul123
I'd argue that within the scope of this forum, AA has notoriety for changing peoples' seats, and I stand by my previous comments.
The only involuntary seat changes that I can recall have been on US and AA. Each time there was no equipment swap, no changes, no FAM (unless the FAM travels with a 12 year old or likes to sit in the back third of the plane). And each time no one could give me any explanation and each time I asked to be put back I was told "we don't just move people out of assigned seats". "Um, isn't that why I'm having this conversation?".

Ok, I have to ask, why does the time your pickup person gets off work determine which seat you sit in?
Old May 4, 2016, 7:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
I will reread those threads later and give you my thoughts (which may be to agree with you and may be to disagree). However, based on about 1000 personal flights on AA (maybe more), and based on being an original member here and readings lots of posts, my first thought is to agree with myself. However, I am interested in checking what you cited, and I will respond.
Old May 4, 2016, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by sbrower
I will reread those threads later and give you my thoughts (which may be to agree with you and may be to disagree). However, based on about 1000 personal flights on AA (maybe more), and based on being an original member here and readings lots of posts, my first thought is to agree with myself. However, I am interested in checking what you cited, and I will respond.
To be clear, Those are just the first few threads that came up on an advanced thread search. There are many more.

I've also never had AA change one of my seats out from under me, but anecdotally it seems to be a rather regular occurrence based on the sheer number of threads I've seen on the topic over the years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.