Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Seat issues are not uncommon between finding, holding, booking and during the interim between booking and flying. There may be various reasons this can happen.
Seat assignments Link
  • We make every effort to ensure you get your chosen seat, but seat assignments are not guaranteed.
  • We reserve the right to change seats for operational, safety or security reasons.
  • You must check in at least 30 minutes before departure and be at the gate 15 minutes before departure or you may lose your seat.
Seat held, changed or gone at booking: One member theorizes a held seat may be taken by a positive purchase by another passenger. But it could be due to another factor listed below.

Disability designated seat: Some seats are assigned preferentially to people with disabilities, and their companions, under the Air Carrier Access Act. Even some non-disability seats may be required for a person with a disability in some conditions.

"American blocks a limited number of seats on each aircraft to accommodate customers who identify themselves as having a qualified disability. Adjacent seats are provided, under certain circumstances, for customers with disabilities who must travel with a companion for assistance."

Flight nearly full: Once a flight has reached certain capacity guidelines, no further seats will be assigned. This leaves airport staff room to deal with the needs of persons with disabilities, no shows, delayed connections, etc.

Boarding pass scan fail: Sometimes a boarding pass scan fails (listen for the "Beep!") and your seat may register as no show, so another, later Passenger or standby gets your seat too.

Equipment change: AA Information Technology's very inefficient at these. You may have selected a Main Cabin Extra as an elite, yet a change from one aircraft subtype with differently numbered seat rows to another and you may find yourself moved from your carefully selected MCE aisle seat to a middle seat in one of the last rows. Aircraft substitutions from one type to another (77W to 772 or v. v.) or even "downgauging" (767 to 757) may occur - this will generally result in unanticipated seat changes.

Equipment malfunction: A seat may not be available on a specific flight because it was reported as malfunctioning and has not been repaired yet.

Crew rest seat: Some seats are contractually required to be set aside for resting crew, on flights of specific lengths.

Federal Air Marshal ("FAM"): FAMs are generally accommodated in the highest class of service in seats that are often popular with passengers. These accommodations may occur at any time, and by law AA must both comply and not reveal to passengers the reason for their seat loss or change. That's correct: AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was given to a FAM, so you will only hear implausible and made up reasons of how you lost your seat.

Passengers seated in the front cabin (or front of the cabin in single cabin and class aircraft) may occasionally find themselves displaced from their seat without any notice or comment, displaced to a less favored seat or even downgraded to the next lowest class of service. Contacting AA may provide answers as to "why" that don't make sense, multiple or non-specific reasons. These will often mean your seat has been requisitioned by a Federal Air Marshal (FAM).

Q. Why won't AA tell me why I lost my seat?

AA is prohibited by law from telling you your seat was requisitioned by a FAM or otherwise revealing there is a FAM on board or where they might be seated. FAMs are supposed to blend in with passengers. At best, you may be told "it's a security issue"; that's usually a confirmation of a FAM seat requisition.

Q. Can I get "unFAMed"?

There is no way to recover your original seat if it has been requisitioned by a FAM; you have no recourse other than to work with the AA system to seek a better available seat, or even reaccommodation on another flight with available and similar seating.

Q. Can I get compensated for losing my seat?

You can request fare differences, compensation and certainly get upgrade instruments reinstated if you were displaced to a lower class of service. You will not be eligible for compensation if your seat was changed within the same class of service (even if you are now separated from travel companions), however, as if you book a specific seat, a specific seat is not guaranteed by American Airlines.

Q. What is a FAM, anyway?

A Federal Air Marshal is a specially trained plain clothes anti-terrorism law enforcement officer of the Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), "a United States federal law enforcement agency under the supervision of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) of the United States Department of Homeland Security (DHS)." (Wikipedia)

Q. What is a FAMs specific job?

"The Air Marshal Service is meant to promote confidence in civil aviation by effectively deploying federal air marshals (FAMs) to detect, deter, and defeat hostile acts targeting the United States." (TSA)
Other: AA might be required to seat a passenger with a small child together, displacing another passenger. There may be other reasons as well.

It is suggested you regularly check your itineraries to deal with route and flight changes (often unannounced) and seat changes (always unannounced).

Link to thread detailing use of Twitter for contact with AA (some have used for seat loss remediation)
Print Wikipost

AA seat assignment loss / change / glitch / problem / FAM (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by nrr
The flight in question departs on Thursday 8/24/17 from ZRH--over a week from now and the seat (if broken) wouldn't be repaired by now?
They usually use the last row of bc for relief pilots.
I assume you understand that no one on this board is going to know why your seat was changed. So all of the suggestions will be speculation. I assume you also know the standard messages on "my seat was changed" threads that seats are not guaranteed.
Just two weeks ago my first class seat on a transatlantic flight was changed - it happens, live with it.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:06 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dickinson
I assume you understand that no one on this board is going to know why your seat was changed. So all of the suggestions will be speculation. I assume you also know the standard messages on "my seat was changed" threads that seats are not guaranteed.
Just two weeks ago my first class seat on a transatlantic flight was changed - it happens, live with it.
Yes, I do know this. But one of the niceties of internet boards is "speculation"--if everything were "cut and dried" FT would be less interesting (to me).
NoTravelIsFree likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Speculation: A Conspiracy Theory

Those jokesters in Revenue Management (a department well known for its sense of humor, levity, and that touch of whimsey) decide to change one seat a day randomly. It must be occupied by a premium flyer, in a premium cabin, who paid a premium price.

Congratulations nrr, you are that days lucky winner!!!!

It's a different kind of Lotto.

Anybody seen a grassy knoll around here?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:21 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Speculation: A Conspiracy Theory

Those jokesters in Revenue Management (a department well known for its sense of humor, levity, and that touch of whimsey) decide to change one seat a day randomly. It must be occupied by a premium flyer, in a premium cabin, who paid a premium price.

Congratulations nrr, you are that days lucky winner!!!!

It's a different kind of Lotto.

Anybody seen a grassy knoll around here?
Probably best left for OMNI, You Tube has some really nice videos...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by nrr
Probably best left for OMNI, You Tube has some really nice videos...
Sorry, I should have been Captain Obvious with a "(Sarcasm)" lead-in. No offence intended. ^
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:28 am

Seat change-possible explanation

Three times DFW-OKC I have been blown out of my beloved MD-80 3E by the same guy.

He is a paraplegic, truly "wounded" in Viet-Nam, who does significant travel (rumor has it at his own expense) for Disabled Veterans causes all over the country. He takes the seat under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). I am humbled, and happy to give him my seat, and will sit anywhere on the plane, including the john.

(2nd time this happened, I was in 4B, he was in 3E (my old seat). I asked him if we have an emergency evacuation, did he want me to grab him on the way out. He said "Thanks. Only if you have the time". ^)

Last edited by Dallas49er; Aug 16, 2017 at 3:59 pm
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:36 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just called the EXP desk (12:30 PM EDT).
The agent I spoke with said "SEAT FIX" changed my seat yesterday--he had NO further documentation--who/what is "SEAT FIX"?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
There's a whole slew of reasons why your seat might have been changed. But you're still flying the class you paid for; seat selections are never guaranteed. I'm sure you know all of this already, so what's the point of this thread?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
On separate note, a pet peeve of mine is passengers that keep the window shade open all the time, makes it a bit hard to watch IFE on daytime flights, or sleep as well when you feel the warmth of sun. Same on international flights as you are arriving destination in the AM.
This is one of the reasons I frequently try to book a window seat; so I have "control", flight crew instructions permitting, over at least the nearest window shade(s).
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:49 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by nrr
I just called the EXP desk (12:30 PM EDT).
The agent I spoke with said "SEAT FIX" changed my seat yesterday--he had NO further documentation--who/what is "SEAT FIX"?
Perhaps they made a note, in your "permanent record", that you like to leave the window shade up for the entire flight, so they got their "FIX" department to fix that little issue.

(just kidding)
chitink likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
The usual question arise, what did AA said when you called? Since seating is 1-2-1, perhaps this is a situation of an air marshal, or maybe some HVC or VIP that wanted 4A, in the end, as the contract of carriage indicates, AA responsibility is to take you from A to B in the purchased cabin, which is what they are doing, seats are not guaranteed. AA is not going to tell you if FAM, VIP or HVC occurred, but, if there was some strange change or glitch maybe that can provide the answer you are looking for or maybe they can accommodate you.

On separate note, a pet peeve of mine is passengers that keep the window shade open all the time, makes it a bit hard to watch IFE on daytime flights, or sleep as well when you feel the warmth of sun. Same on international flights as you are arriving destination in the AM.
why quote contract of carriage on this case? if AA gets legalese on its HVC...
Old Aug 24, 2017, 2:18 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
These things are really best left unposted-- unless this somehow effected you in some way? (And even then.)
Anyone standing near the boarding are would have noticed what I saw, so it wasn't a secret!
PS: Even though 3A abutted the aisle, I was still able to see many highways and landmarks on LI during the last 30 minutes before touch down.^
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Three times DFW-OKC I have been blown out of my beloved MD-80 3E by the same guy.

He is a paraplegic, truly "wounded" in Viet-Nam, who does significant travel (rumor has it at his own expense) for Disabled Veterans causes all over the country. He takes the seat under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). I am humbled, and happy to give him my seat, and will sit anywhere on the plane, including the john.

(2nd time this happened, I was in 4B, he was in 3E (my old seat). I asked him if we have an emergency evacuation, did he want me to grab him on the way out. He said "Thanks. Only if you have the time". ^)
I thought it had been mentioned many times on this Forum that ADA does not apply to air travel.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:46 pm

Customer service e-mail for AA

I have a complaint against AA and tried to have to readdressed at the customer service desk. They were unhelpful and told me that I needed to go on to the website and file a compliant. The website has stock web form where you have only 2000 characters (including spaces) to provide details. The website says you can send an e-mail but there is no e-mail address provided. I have a lot of details and hence the 2000 character limit did not allow me to provide complete details. So I am not hopeful AA will respond. So it appears that my only choices are to take to social media or snail mail them a letter (address is provided). Is there a e-mail address I can send it to, or am I out of luck?. The website actually says you can send a e-mail but no e-mail address is provided.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Nothing spectacular
You might try filling out their online complaint with the 2000 character limit, but just providing a more brief synopsis. If they then follow up, you can address whoever contacts you with more details in your follow up email. Other than that, you might have to actually mail them your complaint since I don't see any email for them listed.

-The Flying Guy

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 4, 2017 at 4:37 pm Reason: FT Rule 7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.