FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Salt not allowed in carry-on bags? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1781628-salt-not-allowed-carry-bags.html)

xliioper Jul 30, 2016 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 26991504)
The TSA website clearly and specifically allows a wide variety of 'salt' type products in your carry-on so I do think the potential risks of corrosion have been considered andare viewed as insignificant.

However the TSA always reserve the right to reject any item they wish on the day so once they say 'no' there really isn't a lot of point in arguing about it...

Just because TSA doesn't prohibit it doesn't mean an airline can't. TSA seems more concerned with imminent threats rather than something might cause an issue way down the road. Hawaiian doesn't mention pure salt as prohibited, but they do prohibit salt water --

http://hawaiianair.custhelp.com/app/...check-in-items

Doc Savage Jul 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl (Post 26990652)
salt is a granule, not a powder. But what exactly is the threat to aviation security here ?

Simple a salt.

Not allowed on planes.

Radiant Flyer Jul 31, 2016 12:42 am

WRONG....

In the past 6 months I have been traveling back and forth from Brazil. There is a brand of organic sugar I love and of course bring a few bags back for baking, coffee, etc.

I asked AA at GIG and GRU if it was ok to carry this on... the answer was yes. I have gone though customs and TSA with bags of this sugar at JFK, LAX, DFW, MIA... NO PROBLEM.
This sugar is crystallized so it looks like sea salt.

This sugar is far superior to any sugar I've had in the US, I'm very picky about what I put in my coffee.

Originally Posted by AAaLot (Post 26990449)
I am writing this on AA forum since it was AA security that enforced this rule

I was flying SAL-DFW on AA -- in SAL each gate going to the USA has its own security ran by the airline, AA in this case

I was trying to bring a sealed bag of sea salt (1lb) -- such bag I was told needed to be in checked bags -- I asked to see a printout with this rule, but was told that not all items are on the list.

:rolleyes:

justhere Jul 31, 2016 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer (Post 26992744)
WRONG....

In the past 6 months I have been traveling back and forth from Brazil. There is a brand of organic sugar I love and of course bring a few bags back for baking, coffee, etc.

I asked AA if it was ok to carry this on... the answer was yes. I have gone though customs and TSA with bags of this sugar at JFK, LAX, DFW, MIA... NO PROBLEM.

This sugar is far superior to any sugar I've had in the US, I'm very picky about what I put in my coffee.

Not to put too fine a point on it but I'm sure you do know that sugar and salt aren't the same thing, right? ;) Just making sure. :)

ESpen36 Jul 31, 2016 2:12 pm

My bet is that the contract security agent just thought it was unusual that somebody would travel with a big bag of salt. Why go to the trouble of traveling with salt when it is easy to purchase this condiment/spice virtually anywhere in the world? It could mean you have something to hide.

Remember, those contract agents are used to seeing the same kinds of stuff in people's luggage over and over again, all day long. They know what is "normal" or typical for somebody to have in a suitcase when departing from that particular airport. Anytime they see something unusual or out of the ordinary, they are paid to be suspicious, even if it is not a threat.

Furthermore, customs agencies across the world sometimes find prohibited goods/items concealed in consumer dry goods like powdered milk, infant formula, spices, etc. Sometimes smugglers even use the empty packaging of consumer items because it looks so innocuous at a glance. There are lots of episodes on YouTube showing it. Basically, anytime they open bags and see a large quantity of a random food item/ingredient that can be easily purchased locally upon arrival, they wonder why somebody would go to the trouble of shipping it or traveling with it from far away.

ESpen36 Jul 31, 2016 2:19 pm

Furthermore, as noted upthread, USA-based airlines are private companies and can decide to prohibit whatever they want aboard their aircraft, within the confines of the law. If AA hires contract security and instructs them to prohibit salt in carry-on bags, all you can do is write to AA and inquire about the policy.

SpammersAreScum Jul 31, 2016 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 26994811)
My bet is that the contract security agent just thought it was unusual that somebody would travel with a big bag of salt. Why go to the trouble of traveling with salt when it is easy to purchase this condiment/spice virtually anywhere in the world? It could mean you have something to hide.

Remember, those contract agents are used to seeing the same kinds of stuff in people's luggage over and over again, all day long. They know what is "normal" or typical for somebody to have in a suitcase when departing from that particular airport. Anytime they see something unusual or out of the ordinary, they are paid to be suspicious, even if it is not a threat.

Furthermore, customs agencies across the world sometimes find prohibited goods/items concealed in consumer dry goods like powdered milk, infant formula, spices, etc. Sometimes smugglers even use the packaging of dry goods because it looks so innocuous at a glance. There are lots of episodes on YouTube showing it. Basically, anytime they open bags and see a large quantity of a random food item/ingredient that can be easily purchased locally upon arrival, they wonder why somebody would go to the trouble of shipping it or traveling with it from far away.

I'll give you one reason, from personal experience. Often I would stay in a kitchen-equipped studio/condo for a week or two, and either
- bring smallish quantities of things you can't buy in small supply, or
- buy more than I need and bring the rest back

What can I say -- I was cheap and hated to waste.

And, yes, I got flagged once at X-Ray due to a few pounds of rice. Once they opened and saw the clear bagful I was good to go.

ESpen36 Jul 31, 2016 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum (Post 26994854)
I got flagged once at X-Ray due to a few pounds of rice. Once they opened and saw the clear bagful I was good to go.

Exactly. It's just not what they are used to seeing. So they were more interested.

Centurion Jul 31, 2016 2:44 pm

I gave up over $1,000 usd in dead sea salt products when the liquid ban occurred flying from TLV>PHX while making a connection. I had a choice to check the products as baggage but I knew I would miss my flight. This was early on and the security gals put all of it on the table to take home as it was just the 1st day of the no liquid ban

GlobalMatt Jul 31, 2016 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by RichVan (Post 26990728)
Grab yourself some water, make a high salt solution and dump it somewhere critical and you could potentially down the road compromise aircraft integrity due to galvanic corrosion if other metals are present.

Maybe that's why they're changing their planes over to composite materials? :D

IAD_flyer Jul 31, 2016 7:59 pm

Going back to what the threat to aviation security would be. So the logic would be that a person trying to cause harm to an aircraft would:
  1. Board a flight, and place the salt in a location of the aircraft somewhere critical that is also aluminum.
  2. Note the tail number of the aircraft.
  3. Hope maintenance misses it for many months.
  4. Keep reading the news looking for stories of downed aircraft and compare the tail number from step two.

Seems a little far fetched to me.

Always Flyin Jul 31, 2016 9:29 pm

I travel with a one-quart sized reusable plastic baggie containing 2-cups of a white powder mix in my check-in bag: one cup of sea salt and one cup of baking soda. It's for nasal irrigation.

EVERY SINGLE TIME TSA opens the bag and inspects it. Overseas? They have NEVER opened my bag to inspect it.

Annoying. I know darn well they are looking to see if it is drugs. Gotta love that mission creep . . .

Jacobin777 Jul 31, 2016 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by IAD_flyer (Post 26996014)
Seems a little far fetched to me.

Though very highly unlikely, certainly theoretically possible.

MSPeconomist Jul 31, 2016 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by ESpen36 (Post 26994831)
Furthermore, as noted upthread, USA-based airlines are private companies and can decide to prohibit whatever they want aboard their aircraft, within the confines of the law. If AA hires contract security and instructs them to prohibit salt in carry-on bags, all you can do is write to AA and inquire about the policy.

TSA is not contract security and isn't hired by the airline. They are an agency of the federal government.

chrisny2 Jul 31, 2016 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 26996419)
TSA is not contract security and isn't hired by the airline. They are an agency of the federal government.

I don't think TSA operates security in El Salvador.