Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

changes to baggage fees, Latin America/Caribbean as of 26 Jul 2016

changes to baggage fees, Latin America/Caribbean as of 26 Jul 2016

Old Jul 26, 16, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation changes to baggage fees, Latin America/Caribbean as of 26 Jul 2016

Effective today, several changes to baggage allowances and charges for Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America:

$25 first checked bag fee now applies to all of Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean except for Panama City and San Salvador; previous exceptions such as Kingston, Mexico City, Santo Domingo are rescinded
New $40 second checked bag fee to Guayaquil and Quito
New $55 seasonal (high season from 7/26 to 8/10 and 12/9 to 12/24) second checked bag charge to Port au Prince, San Pedro Sula, San Salvador, and Tegucigalpa
New $40 seasonal second checked bag charge to Cali

New fees apply to tickets issued or reissued on or after July 26.
Old Jul 26, 16, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Getting tired of all of this "innovation"
Old Jul 26, 16, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05 View Post
Getting tired of all of this "innovation"
I made a point of leaving out this hot-button word:

...changes to baggage allowances and charges for Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America. Among the enhancements:
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles and More, Delta SkyMiles
Hi Jon,
Does this affect my two free checked bags in Venezuela?
I am flying in October (not booked!) CCS-MIA-ORD-DUB-LHR-JFK-MIA-CCS on American and BA aluminium, and normally I'd get two free checked bags, since Venezuela allows 2 x 23 kg bags.

However, I am not sure I understand now. Do these new rules seen on the AA site mean that:

If I fly between July 29 and August 10 / December 9 and December 24 I must pay for my two checked bags

Or

I must always pay for my checked bags from now on?

Many thanks,
Legoboyvdlp
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by legoboyvdlp View Post
Hi Jon,
I am flying in October (not booked!) CCS-MIA-ORD-DUB-LHR-JFK-MIA-CCS on American and BA aluminium, and normally I'd get two free checked bags, since Venezuela allows 2 x 23 kg bags.

However, I am not sure I understand now. Do these new rules seen on the AA site mean that:

If I fly between July 29 and August 10 / December 9 and December 24 I must pay for my two checked bags

Or

Many thanks,
Legoboyvdlp
Unfortunately, I only pass along this stuff, doesn't mean I'm any better at reading it, in this case I find it complicated.

It is up on AA.com now:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Some will undoubtedly be better at reading it, welcome to FT!
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:20 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Hi Jon,

Or

Many thanks,
Legoboyvdlp
I think it's quite simple - your first assumption is correct. If you had to pay for checking bags all the time, there won't be 2 shown prices. So, it seems, all year long travel to/from South America gets 2 free checked bags except for 2 weeks in late July/early August and 2 weeks before Christmas, you have the exact dates listed on the website.
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct View Post
I think it's quite simple - your first assumption is correct. If you had to pay for checking bags all the time, there won't be 2 shown prices. So, it seems, all year long travel to/from South America gets 2 free checked bags except for 2 weeks in late July/early August and 2 weeks before Christmas, you have the exact dates listed on the website.
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA is also amending their "most generous" rule to apply to only the journey, not the entire itinerary.

For example, someone flying PIA-ORD-LAX-ORD-PIA with only the ORD-LAX segment in first would formerly get the 2pc/70lb allowance for the entire trip, but now they'll only get it for the outbound PIA-ORD-LAX.

Hi Jon,

Or

Many thanks,
Legoboyvdlp
The only South American destinations which are receiving new checked bag fees are Cali ($25 1st bag and $40 second bag, seasonal only), and Guayaquil and Quito ($40 second bag year-round), so at the moment there's nothing to worry about for travel to/from Venezuela.
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:40 pm

Thank you, Jon, phoenixtinct!
This is a big relief. Despite the super-cheap fares out of Venezuela (1077 pound sterling to be exact for round trip CCS - MIA - ORD - DUB - LHR - JFK - MIA - CCS), if I can avoid it, I'm not paying baggage fees, unless I really need the bags!
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango View Post
AA is also amending their "most generous" rule to apply to only the journey, not the entire itinerary.

For example, someone flying PIA-ORD-LAX-ORD-PIA with only the ORD-LAX segment in first would formerly get the 2pc/70lb allowance for the entire trip, but now they'll only get it for the outbound PIA-ORD-LAX.
Very interesting, thanks!
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:44 pm

ThreeJulietTango, alright, I'll confirm this while booking.
What is your source, ie. where can I look this up?

Since transatlantic only allows 1 bag, looks like I'll have to pay for the second one...

Do I have to pay just once for the whole trip, or for each segment?
Old Jul 26, 16, 2:46 pm

For your information, on both outbound and inbound I am staying overnight in Miami. Would the CCS - MIA and MIA - ORD - DUB count as seperate journeys?
Old Jul 26, 16, 3:10 pm
Moderator, Delta SkyMiles & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, UA Silver, HH lapsed Diamond, SPG Plat
Do I have to pay just once for the whole trip, or for each segment?
You will be asked to pay at each stopover. Generally one has a stopover if it's greater than 24 hours between international segments or greater than 4 hours between domestic segments.