Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

changes to baggage fees, Latin America/Caribbean as of 26 Jul 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

changes to baggage fees, Latin America/Caribbean as of 26 Jul 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:13 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Exclamation changes to baggage fees, Latin America/Caribbean as of 26 Jul 2016

Effective today, several changes to baggage allowances and charges for Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America:

• $25 first checked bag fee now applies to all of Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean except for Panama City and San Salvador; previous exceptions such as Kingston, Mexico City, Santo Domingo are rescinded
• New $40 second checked bag fee to Guayaquil and Quito
• New $55 seasonal (high season from 7/26 to 8/10 and 12/9 to 12/24) second checked bag charge to Port au Prince, San Pedro Sula, San Salvador, and Tegucigalpa
• New $40 seasonal second checked bag charge to Cali

New fees apply to tickets issued or reissued on or after July 26.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, mid-tier with pretty much everyone else
Getting tired of all of this "innovation"
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bthotugigem05
Getting tired of all of this "innovation"
I made a point of leaving out this hot-button word:

...changes to baggage allowances and charges for Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America. Among the enhancements:
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles and More, Delta SkyMiles
-blank

Last edited by anonymous13536; Aug 14, 2021 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:07 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by legoboyvdlp
Hi Jon,
Does this affect my two free checked bags in Venezuela?
I am flying in October (not booked!) CCS-MIA-ORD-DUB-LHR-JFK-MIA-CCS on American and BA aluminium, and normally I'd get two free checked bags, since Venezuela allows 2 x 23 kg bags.

However, I am not sure I understand now. Do these new rules seen on the AA site mean that:

If I fly between July 29 and August 10 / December 9 and December 24 I must pay for my two checked bags

Or

I must always pay for my checked bags from now on?

Many thanks,
Legoboyvdlp
Unfortunately, I only pass along this stuff, doesn't mean I'm any better at reading it, in this case I find it complicated.

It is up on AA.com now:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Some will undoubtedly be better at reading it, welcome to FT!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Hi Jon,
I am flying in October (not booked!) CCS-MIA-ORD-DUB-LHR-JFK-MIA-CCS on American and BA aluminium, and normally I'd get two free checked bags, since Venezuela allows 2 x 23 kg bags.

However, I am not sure I understand now. Do these new rules seen on the AA site mean that:

If I fly between July 29 and August 10 / December 9 and December 24 I must pay for my two checked bags

Or

Many thanks,
Legoboyvdlp
I think it's quite simple - your first assumption is correct. If you had to pay for checking bags all the time, there won't be 2 shown prices. So, it seems, all year long travel to/from South America gets 2 free checked bags except for 2 weeks in late July/early August and 2 weeks before Christmas, you have the exact dates listed on the website.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I think it's quite simple - your first assumption is correct. If you had to pay for checking bags all the time, there won't be 2 shown prices. So, it seems, all year long travel to/from South America gets 2 free checked bags except for 2 weeks in late July/early August and 2 weeks before Christmas, you have the exact dates listed on the website.
^
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA is also amending their "most generous" rule to apply to only the journey, not the entire itinerary.

For example, someone flying PIA-ORD-LAX-ORD-PIA with only the ORD-LAX segment in first would formerly get the 2pc/70lb allowance for the entire trip, but now they'll only get it for the outbound PIA-ORD-LAX.

Hi Jon,

Or

Many thanks,
Legoboyvdlp
The only South American destinations which are receiving new checked bag fees are Cali ($25 1st bag and $40 second bag, seasonal only), and Guayaquil and Quito ($40 second bag year-round), so at the moment there's nothing to worry about for travel to/from Venezuela.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:40 pm

-blank

Last edited by anonymous13536; Aug 14, 2021 at 7:55 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
AA is also amending their "most generous" rule to apply to only the journey, not the entire itinerary.

For example, someone flying PIA-ORD-LAX-ORD-PIA with only the ORD-LAX segment in first would formerly get the 2pc/70lb allowance for the entire trip, but now they'll only get it for the outbound PIA-ORD-LAX.
Very interesting, thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:44 pm

-blank

Last edited by anonymous13536; Aug 14, 2021 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 1:46 pm

-blank

Last edited by anonymous13536; Aug 14, 2021 at 7:56 am
Old Jul 26, 2016, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Do I have to pay just once for the whole trip, or for each segment?
You will be asked to pay at each stopover. Generally one has a stopover if it's greater than 24 hours between international segments or greater than 4 hours between domestic segments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.