Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Due to schedule change, I have 40 min at CLT, but AA won't let me change? (to merge)

Due to schedule change, I have 40 min at CLT, but AA won't let me change? (to merge)

Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

I received an email from AA that advised me of a schedule change on my upcoming flight in 11 days.

The incoming flight is now scheduled to arrived 27 minutes later. This leaves me exactly 40 minutes connecting time at CLT. (mainline to express) I will be checking two bags. At 5pm, I just don't see how I'm going to make it unless I run like a maniac. For example, today's flight status shows the same incoming flight arriving at gate A11 and the connecting flight leaving from gate E32.

I called AA and the agent was very sympathetic. However, she said I would have to pay the change fee if I wanted to change my flights.

Is 40-minute connection considered a legal minimum connecting time at CLT?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
I received an email from AA that advised me of a schedule change on my upcoming flight in 11 days.

The incoming flight is now scheduled to arrived 27 minutes later. This leaves me exactly 40 minutes connecting time at CLT. (mainline to express) I will be checking two bags. At 5pm, I just don't see how I'm going to make it unless I run like a maniac. For example, today's flight status shows the same incoming flight arriving at gate A11 and the connecting flight leaving from gate E32.

I called AA and the agent was very sympathetic. However, she said I would have to pay the change fee if I wanted to change my flights.

According to the consolidated CLT thread, MCT is 30 minutes. However, I personally wouldn't want to schedule anything under an hour. Did you try calling back to get a different agent?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND

Just call again... if another agent tells you the same thing, request to speak to a supervisor.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Forty minutes is the official AA domestic to domestic Minimum Connection Time for CLT.

I'd recommend the traditional "HUCA" (hang up and call again), and explain any limitations you might have that would impair your making a multi-terminals connection within that time.

NOTE: Please read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rport-lus.html for further information, particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page. We will ultimately merge this thread into that one. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 23, 2016 at 1:23 pm
Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP
For example, today's flight status shows the same incoming flight arriving at gate A11 and the connecting flight leaving from gate E32.
Gate A11 is not used by American, IIRC it is used by either Delta or United...is this a typo or are you arriving on another airline? If you're not coming in on AA, I doubt AA will make a change for you and you'll just have to hope for the best.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACA321
Gate A11 is not used by American, IIRC it is used by either Delta or United...is this a typo or are you arriving on another airline? If you're not coming in on AA, I doubt AA will make a change for you and you'll just have to hope for the best.
I' got that from flightstats.com and I'm never using them again.
Turns out the correct gates were B8 and E38A, according to AA.com
Old Jul 23, 2016, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JDiver
Forty minutes is the official AA domestic to domestic Minimum Connection Time for CLT.

I'd recommend the traditional "HUCA" (hang up and call again), and explain any limitations you might have that would impair your making a multi-terminals connection within that time.

NOTE: Please read http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rport-lus.html for further information, particularly the Wikipost at the top of the page. We will ultimately merge this thread into that one. /Moderator
I called again and was denied. Then I called again and spoke to another agent who changed my flights without saying anything. I'm still on the same connecting flight, but I'm arriving into CLT on an earlier flight, so I have a couple more hours between flights.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:09 pm

I called again and was denied. Then I called again and spoke to another agent who changed my flights without saying anything. I'm still on the same connecting flight, but I'm arriving into CLT on an earlier flight, so I have a couple more hours between flights.
Hooray! Sometimes, HUCA works as well as Google. ��

Btw, an app I find most useful is FlightBoard. I've yet to find an airport with commercial flights it doesn't work with, it's indispensable in the UK because it gives you departure gates long before BAA does, and you can sort many ways.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by JDiver

Btw, an app I find most useful is FlightBoard. I've yet to find an airport with commercial flights it doesn't work with, it's indispensable in the UK because it gives you departure gates long before BAA does, and you can sort many ways.
Flightboard is currently free for Android through the Amazon App store
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
MCT for domestic mainline-express at CLT is 35 minutes.

AA-AA DD .35 FLT 1 - 2754 - FLT 2755 - 6099
Old Jul 24, 2016, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
E38A to B8 would have been a haul. Arrive 15 minutes late and you may have been SOL.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 4:57 pm

Its doable in 10-12 minutes once your off the plane. At a brisk walk.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:56 pm

A reminder: Supporting, encouraging or promoting illegal activity or fraud upon an individual or company is prohibited.

Posts advocating or discussing the use of disability services fraudulently have been deleted.

/Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:27 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
(1)Moving walkways speed connections. On two different trips (3 weeks apart), a crucial mw was out of service at CLT. I think it has now been fixed.
(2)At times the crowds at CLT can impede efficient movement between gates.
(3)If OP should have to use a restroom (this does happen) a close connection could become impossible.
(4)A possible inbound delay could make a "legal" conn "illegal"
Old Jul 26, 2016, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nrr
(1)Moving walkways speed connections. On two different trips (3 weeks apart), a crucial mw was out of service at CLT. I think it has now been fixed.
(2)At times the crowds at CLT can impede efficient movement between gates.
(3)If OP should have to use a restroom (this does happen) a close connection could become impossible.
(4)A possible inbound delay could make a "legal" conn "illegal"

I agree with you on (2).... why are there so many people everywhere at CLT? Most don't seem to understand the moving walkways are not there to "move" them around and that they are supposed to be walking on the walkway as well.

As for restrooms, I do not use restrooms at CLT if I can help it. I really do not enjoy attendants watching my every move. (but if the restroom is crowded, then I use it)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.