Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016 "HELP! I need xx EQM / EQD / EQS by end of year" master thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Help! I need ....... by the end of the year / 2016 to (re)qualify.

Earning status:

Link to AAdvantage status requirements page on AA.com

Link to AAdvantage status benefits page on AA.com

You must earn the requisite Elite Qualifying Miles or flown Elite Qualifying Segments in one calendar year. That earns status for the remainder of the current and the following status years: earn in 2017, status persists through 31 Jan 2019.

Renewing status:

AA once used to offer "grace" if one was just short of achieving status, particularly if one was reachieving, by earning Elite Qualifying Miles or Segments; that hasn't been the case in recent years. Choices are:

1) Requalifying, but just missing the goal? Hope AA will bring back the buyback / renew / boost program, enabling you to purchase back status if you fell short of requalifying by stipulated levels, though to date there is no announcement that's they will or not. As this is generally announced after the qualifying / calendar year is over, counting on this program entails some degree of risk. See:

2016 Buyback / Renew / Boost Program (historical at this time, and we don't have a 2018 thread yet).

2017 Buyback / Renew / Boost Program[/URL][/B][/U].

NOTES:

• Flights flown as marketed by AA (AA codeshare) earn as if one is flying AA. (It doesn't matter where one purchased the ticketed - the word "marketed" doesn't mean where you purchased the ticket.)

• Through flights with a single flight number such as MIA-PHX-SFO will count as a single segment and only earn miles as if flown MIA-SFO.

• One no longer must fly at least 4 segments on American Airlines or American Eagle to qualify for AAdvantage status within the qualifying year. (AA marketed / AA codeshares do count for this. This requirement no longer is in effect, but there is ua minimum dollar spend requirement -MQD - as well as EQM or EQS.)

• EQMs do not include class-of-service bonus miles, elite bonuses, other participant miles, any other AAdvantage bonus mileage, or miles obtained from BuyMiles or GiftMiles.

• If you were involuntarily rerouted losing EQM / EQS, you might want to read FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (consolidated)

• Two AAdvantage credit cards award 10,000 EQM for high annual spenders: Citi Executive card (10,000 EQM for $40,000 of annual spend prior to the last statement of the year), and Barclaycard Aviator Silver (5,000 EQM at $20,000 and again at $40,000 of annual spend prior to last statement of year). (These are merely for status purposes, not Million Miler, etc.) The Barclaycard Aviator cards also award EQD credit.

• AA has introduced new "Basic Fares"; be aware of many restrictions.

Guide to AAdvantage elite status (requirements and benefits) on aa.com

A reminder that in 2017 there is an Elite Qualifying Dollars / minimum annual spend requirement for qualifying for status for 2018. See:

FAQ: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

Some links to resources and tools:

Use tools available (Google Flights, ITA Matrix by Google, etc.) to find flights for "mileage runs" or "segment runs" to complete status requirements. There are threads (and aa.com pages) that explain how many EQM you earn on AA and partners' flights

Link to Google Flights (put in the origin only, add your restrictions such as airline or alliances)

Link to FT-AA Thread "Using Google Flights for American Airlines flight searches"

Link to Google ITA Matrix (flights and rules finder)

Link to Innosked oneworld interactive network map and timetable

Link to Great Circle Mapper (miles and distance calculations)

Link to FT Mileage Run Deals forum

Link to FT Premium Fare Deals forum

Link to FT Mileage Run Discussion forum[/B]

For the 2015 thread, please see:

ARCHIVE: 2015 "HELP! I need XXX EQM / EQP / EQS by end of year" thread
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:29 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

It's that time of year again!

As we approach the last months of 2017 with some changes from prior years, some members will be scrambling to qualify (or requalify) for status. This consolidated thread is for those who are requesting some help getting to the finish line.

A few reminders:
- FlyerTalk is not a travel agency. Some members may be able to give provide advice, but do not necessarily expect someone to provide a full list of itineraries and options for you.
- If you're looking for ideas for a mileage run (i.e., flights with low cost per mile), please also visit the Mileage Run forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mileage-run-deals-372/
- If you're not interested in this topic or in providing guidance, please feel free to ignore this thread.

Thanks everyone!
/AA Moderator Team

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 30, 2017 at 8:37 am Reason: Update
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:29 pm

Miles needed to retain status

Based out of Chs. And am in need to 10,000 miles to retain my gold status by years end. My travel in 16 has been limited but will pick back up in 17 and I would like to keep my status for future travel. Has anyone seen any inexpensive mileage run ideas out of the SE that will get me the 10k miles lately?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
2016 "I need EQM / EQS for status this year." & related status earning qq

I have an upcoming flight in Premium Economy (E class) on Cathay Pacific, on 9/15 ORD-HKG-SYD and returning SYD-HKG-SFO on 9/23. I'll qualify for AA platinum on my first segment, the ORD-HKG leg.

My questions are:
1) Will I have lounge access during my first layover in HKG (i.e. immediately after hitting platinum)?

2) If I don't get recognized as OW Sapphire immediately (which is what I expect), what are the odds that CX will recognize me as Sapphire on the return?

3) How many miles will I earn for these flights?

My recollection from when I got to AA gold was that the segment on which I earned gold was not subject to my elite bonus. My calculations are as follows

ORD HKG 7,794 mi x 1.4 (gold bonus) = 10,912 RDM
HKG SYD 4,581 mi x 1.6 (platinum bonus) = 7,330 RDM
SYD HKG 4,581 mi x 1.6 (platinum bonus) = 7,330 RDM
HKG SFO 6,927 mi x 1.6 (platinum bonus) = 11,083 RDM

for a total of 36,655 redeemable miles. Does that sound right?

Thanks as always.

EDIT: edited to reflect that I meant Sapphire, not Ruby for lounge access.
Second EDIT: edited to reflect that I meant Sapphire, not Ruby for lounge access the second time I referred to my oneworld status in question 2.

Last edited by bspahn; Aug 8, 2016 at 9:30 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As far as the lounge access Ruby means GLD which doesn't get you in. However, if you mean Sapphire upon the miles posting make a copy of the screen shot showing your new PLT status. That should suffice as you won't have a new card and/or it may not show Sapphire on your BP.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
1 - Very low odds of flight posting that quickly
2 - Pretty good odds it will post and update status in that timeframe
3 - Were the flights booked as AA flight #s or Cathay?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
Thanks for the responses...

Originally Posted by mikelat
3 - Were the flights booked as AA flight #s or Cathay?
They were booked on CX flight numbers. My understanding is that you still can't book Premium Economy on AA.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bspahn
I have an upcoming flight in Premium Economy (E class) on Cathay Pacific, on 9/15 ORD-HKG-SYD and returning SYD-HKG-SFO on 9/23. I'll qualify for AA platinum on my first segment, the ORD-HKG leg.

My questions are:
1) Will I have lounge access during my first layover in HKG (i.e. immediately after hitting platinum)?

2) If I don't get recognized as OW Sapphire immediately (which is what I expect), what are the odds that CX will recognize me as ruby on the return?

3) How many miles will I earn for these flights?

My recollection from when I got to AA gold was that the segment on which I earned gold was not subject to my elite bonus. My calculations are as follows

ORD HKG 7,794 mi x 1.4 (gold bonus) = 10,912 RDM
HKG SYD 4,581 mi x 1.6 (platinum bonus) = 7,330 RDM
SYD HKG 4,581 mi x 1.6 (platinum bonus) = 7,330 RDM
HKG SFO 6,927 mi x 1.6 (platinum bonus) = 11,083 RDM

for a total of 36,655 redeemable miles. Does that sound right?

Thanks as always.

EDIT: edited to reflect that I meant Sapphire, not Ruby for lounge access.
1. Highly unlikely

2. Again, I assume you meant "recognize as Sapphire". Your boarding passes will probably not reflect your new status. However, you should be able to have GAs and Lounge Agents look up your number and see the status once it has updated

3. No, that's all wrong; AA changed the rules on this effective Aug 1. If your flight is AA-marketed (your flight number is "AA...", the calculation will use the qualifying $ spent for the flight, not the miles flown; see here. If it is CX-marketed, it will be based on the actual miles and a multiplier based on the fare class (which is good for you, being in PE), as specified here. There are threads here specifically for discussing how RDM and EQM will be calculated, including on partners; best to take your question there if needed.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Once your outbound flights have posted to your AA account the status should show as Platinum (your new status). After this occurs, go to your booking on the CX site and remove your AA account from the FF field and exit the site. Log back in and re-enter your account. This should trigger your new status on the CX booking.

If it doesn't, as noted above, print off a copy of your AA statement that shows the status. Alternatively, if you have an iPhone, remove your AA card from your Wallet and then reload the new Platinum one. Then show it at the QF lounge at SYD and CX at HKG.

Last edited by Shareholder; Aug 8, 2016 at 5:06 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bspahn
Thanks for the responses...

They were booked on CX flight numbers. My understanding is that you still can't book Premium Economy on AA.
In that case, your calculation is very close. You may get an extra 10% on your award miles, depending on what your actual PE fare class is. You are very unlikely to get the Platinum bonus for HKG-SYD immediately, and when you call AA afterwards you may or may not succeed in getting them to fix that.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: ex-multiyear AA EXP/OWE, now SA Gold/AC Super Elite
As someone who has flown E on a CX ticket credited to AA a few times this year, 100% of my flights took 7 days from the date flown to post.

Maybe you'll get lucky on the return, but I wouldn't count on it. Too bad, the CX lounges at HKG are great.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:40 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
2016 "I'll be short EQM / EQS for status this year?" & related status earning qq

Friends of mine are in a bit of a bind. The husband has AA Gold and the wife has no status. They have two transcon trips booked for later this year and after those trips they will both end up at 24,975 EQM for the year.

Any good (inexpensive) options to get them another 25 EQMs?

Speculation on whether AA will offer the elite plus-up/buy-up option this year?

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 12, 2016 at 5:01 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Friends of mine are in a bit of a bind. The husband has AA Gold and the wife has no status. They have two transcon trips booked for later this year and after those trips they will both end up at 24,975 EQM for the year.

I don't know where your friends live, but any cheap single segment on AA will get them their EQM for sure - no games or uncertainty involved. This can be done for under $100 from some stations.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer

AA will probably offer that, though we can't be 100% certain. But such may cost more than the cheapest flight options, and flying is certain to gain Gold.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by discoverCSG
I don't know where your friends live, but any cheap single segment on AA will get them their EQM for sure - no games or uncertainty involved. This can be done for under $100 from some stations.
They fly out of PHL.
Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:15 am

There's a variety of options.

Example: take the train to EWR, purchase a EWR(/LGA)-PHL-MIA/FLL fare for about $100, get out in PHL and skip the last segment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.