Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

This thread is dedicated to questions, discussion, and answers, requests for calculation verification, assistance, input, etc. about earning
  • Elite Qualifying Miles (EQM) for travel as of 1 Jan 2016
  • Award / Redeemable Miles (RDM) for travel as of 1 Aug 2016
  • Elite Qualifying Dollars (EQD) fof travel as of 1 Jan 2017
  • Elite Qualifying Segments (EQS)

See the relevant threads in the Wikipost for basic and specific information relating to these topics.

/Moderation team

Relevant threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, other changes announced 6 Jun 2016 ("Just the facts" Q&A, discussion, of new changes)

Link to AAdvantage spreadsheet /spreadsheets & apps available for download

Can I See / Estimate EQD / EQM / RDM After Booking, Before Flying?

No. You can see your estimated EQD - EQM - RDM earnings for AA marketed flights once you have selected flights on AA.com before you book, and you can see all your actual earnings once you have flown and the flights have posted to your AAdvantage account.

If you use a tool to break down your trip so you can see your base fare and carrier imposed fees you can calculate your estimated EQD (for those flights earning EQD using that method, AA marketed flights). For estimated EQM and RDM you can calculate based on flown miles, fare class credit, etc.

For further information, see aa.com:

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link

Q. Will I be able to view my expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American and by other airlines online?

A. You will be able to view your expected earnings for travel on flights marketed by American Airlines. Trips including flights marketed by other airlines will not display your expected earnings at this time.

Q. Where can I see how many award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits I can expect to earn for my trip on aa.com?

A. This information is displayed on aa.com after you’ve selected your flights, just prior to purchasing your reservation, on the Review and Pay page.

Q. Will promotional bonuses from special offers be included in the AAdvantage® earnings displayed?

A. No, promotional bonuses will only be displayed when your flight is posted to your account.

Q. Do I need to include my AAdvantage® number in order to view my expected earnings?

A. Yes, you will need to include your AAdvantage® number at the time of booking to view your expected earnings.

Q. Can I retrieve my expected earnings after I’ve purchased my trip online or for reservations booked elsewhere that can be viewed online?

A. No, you will only be able to view your expected earnings prior to purchasing your ticket on the Review and Pay page online.

Q. Why are the earnings shown referred to as estimates and expected earnings?

A. Award miles and Elite Qualifying Credits shown could differ from what you actually earn if you change your ticket, your elite status level changes or due to currency fluctuations for purchases not made in USD.

FT: Q. What are the rules governing earning AAdvantage miles etc. on codeshares?

1. AA codeshares earn as if you were flying AA, regardless of which airline operates them.

2. oneworld airline codeshares operated by oneworld airlines earn according to the marketing airline (airline whose flight is being flown, e.g. CX operated by JL earns as CX. oneworld marketed flights (codeshares) operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EI operated by BA, do not earn AAdvantage miles. Other airline-marketed flights operated by AA earn as if you were flying the marketing airline.

3. Exceptions include Qantas/ QF codeshares operated by non-oneworld airlines, e.g. EY, FJ, etc.; many JL flights operated by non-oneworld airlines and some AY flights operated by non-oneworld airlines do earn AAdvantage miles.

4. Where you buy your tickets is irrelevant.

The 2017 thread can be read here.

The 2016 thread can be read here.

Print Wikipost

HELP DESK: Earning Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM, EQS & Award / RDM AA, Partners

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 7:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by linire
Hello all-

I am trying to book a trip for later this year, LAX-DXB.in paid First or Business. The only choices the AA website gives me are AA or BA flights, even when I choose the All Airlines option. I would prefer to avoid BA. I found some decently scheduled flights on the RJ website and am wondering if I can earn AA miles if I book RJ flights on the RJ website. Or can I only earn AA miles when booking on the AA website?
TIA!
What matters is

1) if it’s AA marketed, it always earns as AA,

2) which airline markets the flight,

3) which airline operates the flight (most often, other than QF or JL, a one world marketed flight must be operated by a one world marketed airline),

4) an eligible fare in an eligible region occasionally) has been purchased. (That’s sometimes not easy to determine when purchasing a ticket, and is important to ask a seller of travel if miles, etc. are important.)

What doesn’t matter is

1) where the ticket was purchased,

2) what type of aircraft is used.

aa.com doesn’t mention the latter two because they’re irrelevant.

We will merge this thread into the existing thread, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-partners.html. There are several HELP DESK threads in this forum addressing frequently asked questions.

Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Has anyone ever earned more EQDs than they should? I recently flew a trip and so far, the first two legs of the itinerary have posted. It was a codeshare, O Fare, on BA. So, AA earning on EQDs should be $1 per $1 fare. I spent a total of $400ish on the total, roundtrip fare. The outbound leg to UK and then connecting within Europe has already earned over $600 in EQDs. Even if I don't get the EQDs for the return flights, which is unlikely, I'm well over on EQD earning versus what I've paid.

Am I missing something or is this just a small AA windfall?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Has anyone ever earned more EQDs than they should? I recently flew a trip and so far, the first two legs of the itinerary have posted. It was a codeshare, O Fare, on BA. So, AA earning on EQDs should be $1 per $1 fare. I spent a total of $400ish on the total, roundtrip fare. The outbound leg to UK and then connecting within Europe has already earned over $600 in EQDs. Even if I don't get the EQDs for the return flights, which is unlikely, I'm well over on EQD earning versus what I've paid.

Am I missing something or is this just a small AA windfall?
was earning for that flight credited by distance or by fare?
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:23 pm

I think it should be fare since it was an AA flight number/codeshare even if it was operated by BA. I booked the AA flight number/codeshare through AA.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 9:29 pm

I think it should be fare since it was an AA flight number/codeshare even if it was operated by BA. I booked the AA flight number/codeshare through AA.
It should have credited by fare, but check the earning and see whether it states a fare or distance based earning
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:08 am

It appears they used the 10% of distance method. 546 EQDS is 10% of the 5456 miles LAX-LHR. Nothing to complain about since it’s much more than I spent on the ticket. Just odd since it was coded as an AA flight
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:12 am

It appears they used the 10% of distance method. 546 EQDS is 10% of the 5456 miles LAX-LHR. Nothing to complain about since it’s much more than I spent on the ticket. Just odd since it was coded as an AA flight
on plus side, you probably earned more award miles too
OskiBear likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Where should I book, BA or AA to maximize AAdvantage outcomes?

So, apologies in advance for asking a pretty basic question, I just couldn't figure out the answer based on the info AA provides on its site. I have ExPlat status this year and I am trying to maximize Advantage outcomes from an upcoming flight. It's YUL - JFK - BCN return in business class. The flight is costed identical on the AA and BA sites, if I book it on a BA flight number it would book into I. Do EQD, miles etc end up in a wash regardless of where I book it or should I prefer one of the sites over the other? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Ask yourself this question: Are you EQM Poor or EQD Poor?

Book the AA flight numbers and you will get 200% EQM but only actual ticket cost as EQDs.

Book as BA flight number and you will get 150% EQM but 25% Distance as EQDs.

Flight distance is 3963, so let’s just round off to 4000 for calculations.

BA numbers will get you 2000 EQDs and 12000 EQMs. AA flight number will get you 16000 EQMs and ticket cost as EQDs.

How close are are you to 100K and 12K. You have aspirations for 150K or 200K? EQDs don’t really do much beyond 12K and EQMs are worthless after 200K.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:38 pm

Thank you!

Thank you so much That really answers my question. I also have a better idea how these alternative booking options pan out. Greatly appreciate it thanks for taking the time
Old Jun 14, 2018, 9:53 pm

Of course, if the ticket cost exceeds $2000, then the AA flight number wins anyway since the EQDs will be price of ticket

Also , for award miles, the earning on BA will be based on distance - so 8000 miles base plus 2000 class of service bonus giving 10,000 plus status bonus

if the cost >$2000 , then the AA earning will exceed the BA earning ( being 5 per dollar plus status bonus )

At post $2000, booking on BA will lose on all of award miles, EQMs and EQDs

What is the ticket cost?
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:00 pm

Ticket cost

I think it nets something like 2400 or 2600 EQD. Seems a no brainer then...

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Of course, if the ticket cost exceeds $2000, then the AA flight number wins anyway since the EQDs will be price of ticket

Also , for award miles, the earning on BA will be based on distance - so 8000 miles base plus 2000 class of service bonus giving 10,000 plus status bonus

if the cost >$2000 , then the AA earning will exceed the BA earning ( being 5 per dollar plus status bonus )

At post $2000, booking on BA will lose on all of award miles, EQMs and EQDs

What is the ticket cost?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 15, 2018 at 8:42 am Reason: Close quote
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:10 pm

If the ticket cost is $2400 exc taxes, then seems to be a no brainer to book the AA flight numbers ; will come out ahead on all areas
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
... EQDs don’t really do much beyond 12K....
Curious to know your reasoning and thoughts about this.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Curious to know your reasoning and thoughts about this.
Because other than helping your upgrade priority within EXP group, they are completely worthless beyond $12K. I don’t put a whole lot of stock into the upgrade priority as I usually easily get the upgrade or don’t even come close, but I’m certainly not going to just spend more for a hope of an extra upgrade here and there.
Zacnlinc likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.